Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Seminar

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Your Favorite Seminar

In your training so far what has been your favorite seminar so far, and what you learn from it?
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Your Favorite Seminar

Well I've only been to a few seminars, but all have been great. I have the the fortune to attend one seminar with Mr. Planas, one with Mr. Parker (Jr.), and several with Mr. Trejo. Each siminar was different and impossible to compare as each brought a different aspect. Mr. Planas was focused on the techniques and grafting differnt ones together. Mr. Trejo generally focused more on sparing applications. Mr. Parker was focused more on the mechanics of the human body. The most informative one for me had to be with Mr. Parker, the things he showed about body mechanics really changed how I viewed self defense. He discussed not just your own body mechanics, but how best to disrupt your opponent's. While I know that body mechanics is at the heart of kenpo this more generalized view of it helped me understand it better.
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

Les
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I have to say that I have never taken a Kenpo Seminar (with any Association) that I did not enjoy and learn something from.

As to a favourite? I can't choose

Les
    I'm only here to learn

Thanks
    Thanked 3,566 Times in 2,176 Posts

Interestingly enough, the seminars I've attended were not kenpo. They all involved CMA. I've learned some pretty cool old open hand and weapons forms. The chin na were the most practical though.

My favorite? Learning a 1,000 year old mantis form from a Chinese Master on the edge of the lake at the Emperor's Summer Palace in Beijing. Now THAT was cool. Watching him do the form at full speed in white silks in that setting was surreal.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

I think my favorite seminar was with Ed Parker Jr. at Jeff Blay's 2001 camp. He went over environmental awareness. It was a great time.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Talking Re: Your Favorite Seminar

That's hard to say - I've been lucky enough to attend quite a few seminars, & I've gotten something different out of each of them: great drills to practice, a new way of executing a technique or form, great stories about Mr. Parker, the Art, & Life in general, as well as helping in my community, etc. I don't think I can pick just one! (LOL)
    Last edited by Gin-Gin2; 01-14-2006 at 10:29 PM.
    The truly educated never graduate.
    "To understand the heart & mind of a person, look not at what they have already achieved, but what they aspire to do." -Kahlil Gibran

Thanks

Well it wasn't a kenpo seminar....

I went to a seminar with Jim Keating a couple (four?) years ago, it was supposed to be limited to 10 people, well not many other people showed up, and and it was me one other guy working with Jim and one of his assistant instructors for two days. Knife, knife, bowie knife, stick, knife, flexible weapons, unarmed, and more knife. I was completely brain fried by the end of the two days but I learned so much. Unsurprisingly I've never been to another seminar that I learned that much at, though some of the Pekiti Tirsia Kali seminars have come close.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks

Did you learn anything about how to use a knife?
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    Did you learn anything about how to use a knife?
    To quote Zorro "The pointy end goes in the other man."
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Blindside For This Useful Post:

amylong (04-22-2009)

Thanks

Bumping this thread....what has been your favorite seminar and what you learn?
    There is nothing so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
    Unquestionably man has his will - but woman has her way! - Bruce Lee

Thanks

It's hard to say what the best seminar is.

Dr. Dave came up and gave us a great seminar on some concepts of motion. The whole class loved that.

I had a seminar where we learned some lockflow stuff and that was great. That was Jay Arnold. Frank Trejo did a different kind of lockflow seminar and that was a blast.

Any seminar that leaves me with someone to take home is on the favorite list.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

13. The Following User Says Thank You to amylong For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (05-09-2009)

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I haven't been to any since my return to training, but I remember seeing Mr. La Bounty's seminar here in Vegas when I was somewhere in my mid teens. He scared the hell out of me, but it was incredible!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,346 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander702 View Post
    I haven't been to any since my return to training, but I remember seeing Mr. La Bounty's seminar here in Vegas when I was somewhere in my mid teens. He scared the hell out of me, but it was incredible!
    Mr. LaB. will be among a very distinguished list of professors -- to include our very own Doc from this site -- presenting at the Kenpo Ohana in Santa Rosa, CA, the weekend of September 18th-20th.

End shameless plug,

D.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave in da house View Post
    Mr. LaB. will be among a very distinguished list of professors -- to include our very own Doc from this site -- presenting at the Kenpo Ohana in Santa Rosa, CA, the weekend of September 18th-20th.

End shameless plug,

D.
    New Shamless Plug # 2

Mr. La Bounty will be teaching at the IKKO camp in AZ the 18th-20th of July with Mr. Conatser.

End Shamless Plug #2
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Back when I was a very young yellow or orange belt....'79...'80? Not sure... but Mr. LaBounty came to my school. It was quite awe-inspiring, of course, especially to a kid...but he did scare me about as white as my gi at one point.

I had the honor of corresponding with him recently, and he's a very cool person.

Thanks

My favorite seminar was the one I had last night with Dr. Dave.

We had a pretty good turn out and he talked about the shape of techniques and how to get the best torque with your weapons.

Everybody is excited. Everybody wants more. It was cool for me because I've been introducing some of those concepts to them and then Dr. Dave came in and confirmed everything I've been telling them (in a much more articulate way) and then took it to new levels.

It was a TON of fun. I only wish we could've stayed around longer to hang out. My daughter was waiting up for us and didn't feel comfortable going to sleep until we were home.

But I do get the fun of hanging out with Dr. Dave fairly often, so I'll have to catch him next time.

We're going to try to have him up a lot more often.

--Amy

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Smile Re: Your Favorite Seminar

Although not my favorite seminar, I sure enjoyed the one that Jason put on in your dojo. When are you going to have him back? Are you planning on any seminars this summer?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,924 Times in 2,211 Posts

Up to this point my two favorites were one my old instructor gave, which featured himself, as well as Mr. Terry Rich, a contingent from a small CHA-3 Kenpo group, and a couple of Kung Fu guys who names I can't remember.
    The other was a Joe Lewis seminar he gave during the brief time he lived around the corner from me at Carolina Beach years ago.
    The main thing I learned from Mr. Lewis can be summed up in 6 words:
    "Don't let Joe Lewis hit you."
    "To be, rather than to seem"

"Fix your rear foot ... What the hell is wrong with you?"

"...I already watched the videos, and quite frankly, they're bullsh*t."

Thanks

My favorite seminars are always the ones I just came from.

I did go to one seminar with Mr. Parker when I was a 20yr. old blue belt.

I remember it because it was the first time I remember meeting Mr. Parker and the first time I heard the 'sam ting' joke, which I've told myself a few times. And he pulled me up to do 'hooking wings' and I got to do the technique on him.

He said he liked it and afterwards, signed my Infinite Insights book, thanking me for being his helper.

Made my .....decade +

--Amy

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I've only been to a handful of seminars so far but I would have to say my favorite seminar I've attended would be the one Mr. Marshall gave in August of last year. I had only been in Kenpo a month, I didn't participate actually I took notes instead. That was probably when my fire for Kenpo truly came alive. Mr, Marshall said so many things in that seminar that blew my mind. My absolute favorite thing he said was in reference to executing any technique, "If you go past it you get to hit it." If you have to go past the face, groin, arm anything to complete the base technique you might as well blast it as you go by. I've been to two more of Mr. Marshall's seminars since then and they were both just as enriching.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to kenpogirl1989 For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (05-16-2009)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links