Thread: Best and Worst

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Best and Worst

If you were in a real life or death situation where you had no choice but to use your knowledge and skills what style of martial arts would, in YOUR OPINION, be the best and worst to use. this is strickly in YOUR OPINION remember that.

Les
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Best and Worst

If I have understood the question........

The best one to use would be the one you have most internalised so that your action was instinctive.

The worst one would be the one you have no knowledge of.

Les
    I'm only here to learn

Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Les
    If I have understood the question........

The best one to use would be the one you have most internalised so that your action was instinctive.

The worst one would be the one you have no knowledge of.

Les
    ....what he said.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo89
    If you were in a real life or death situation where you had no choice but to use your knowledge and skills what style of martial arts would, in YOUR OPINION, be the best and worst to use. this is strickly in YOUR OPINION remember that.
    It is what YOU make of it, how you have adapted to your basics, what you have made of ANY art. Ultimately it is not how impressive your instructor moves, how many trophies you have won, your arts representatives cage fighting record, but what YOU have made of the situation.

The best one to use is the one you have practiced, analyzed objectively, and to quote Les "internatlized" a series of basics and principles to apply to a given threatening situation.
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

Thanks

I think what they are asking is what form would you use depending on situation.

Example...

Fortunately, I have only ever had to use my arts in one situation.

Unfortunately, I was sitting off the ground, in a pappasan chair with a Stupid Texan standing over me with his left hand behind his leg possibly hiding a weapon and his right hand pointing a finger in my face saying "I want you to say you wish you were dead"

Unfortunately, it is my nature to be a smart $^@. So I shrugged and said " umm ok.. I wish you were dead." This first confused him (like I said he was not that bright) and then he was not overly pleased.

BTW, during this confusion I did warn him that it would be unwise to attack me and that I was a trained fighter. His answer was throwing a John Wane haymaker at me.

Now... at that time, I had studied Goshin Ju-jitsu, some Kung Fu, and Shoin-Ryu... all 3 of which have some if not a good deal of focus on close quarter fighting and ground fighting.

If I had been a student of... say.... TKD, or Su Bak Do, or even Ba-Qua which are fairly dependant on minor details like.. ohh... standing as I understand them, I likely would have been in slightly more trouble than I was.

As it turned out.. the only point where I was really in any trouble was when I kicked up with my heel into his solar plexus which resulted in rolling me backwards in the chair and I had a good 4 seconds of a giant pappasan pillow on my head. When i finally threw it off.. he was standing there waiting for me to pull it off before he tried another attack..

Thank the gods for stupid people.

Les
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrBunny
    with a stupid Texan standing over me with his left hand behind his leg possibly hiding a weapon and his right hand pointing a finger in my face saying "I want you to say you wish you were dead"

Unfortunately, it is my nature to be a smart $^@. So I shrugged and said " umm ok.. I wish you were dead."
    Sounds like you and I are cut from the same cloth. I would be inclined to say the same thing

Les
    I'm only here to learn

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

OK, I'll bite even though this is probably the #1 troll question.

It is not the style, it is the person.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Les
    Sounds like you and I are cut from the same cloth. I would be inclined to say the same thing

Les

Heheh I get it from my mom..

But, yea.. I wound up really having to hurt him before he stopped...

I felt bad about it for 2 weeks.

Most people say I shoulden't have felt bad.. that he attacked me.. but... it's just my nature... That was years ago so I don't think about I often.

Thanks

I really wish I could have gotten on to a computer over the past few weeks because all these descusions are very interesting and my answers have all already been taken.

Here is one, your best defense is an offense.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    I really wish I could have gotten on to a computer over the past few weeks because all these descusions are very interesting and my answers have all already been taken.

Here is one, your best defense is an offense.

don't know.. some would argue that the best defense is your opponents offence... but that is coming from a point of view that likes redirection and counter attacks.

Your in baltimore too... hello neighbor. Dundalk here.

Thanks

don't know.. some would argue that the best defense is your opponents offence... but that is coming from a point of view that likes redirection and counter attacks.

Your in baltimore too... hello neighbor. Dundalk here.
    I've been to Dundalk once or twice. It seems like a nice place.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    I've been to Dundalk once or twice. It seems like a nice place.
    Haven't quite been here a year... all in all I do like it. People are generaly more polite, good police presence, nice small town feel near a city with plenty of arts and history.

I moved from PG County, so quite a change for the better in my opinion. Not to mention all the money I am saving in rent. LOL

Thanks

Haven't quite been here a year... all in all I do like it. People are generaly more polite, good police presence, nice small town feel near a city with plenty of arts and history.

I moved from PG County, so quite a change for the better in my opinion. Not to mention all the money I am saving in rent. LOL
    LOL. Very nice. I am just a poor little college student so I know what it is like to have to save money.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 909 Posts

You have more patience than I.

Where self defense is concerned it is not always wise to wait for the attack to come first. If an individual is threatening you and it is *eveident that they mean you harm ( *They possess Intent, opportunity, and capability to do you harm) then I would strike them first. I'd rather not wait around to become a victim. But that's me. "He who hesitates......."

Personally I study Kenpo, but when it comes to defending myself I throw in quite a bit of "mean & nasty." IMO, if someone is looking to harm me they deserve what they get. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I don't have any sympathy for those actively looking to do harm to others.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

understandable.. and it could be that am not one to throw the first strike regardless of the situation... unless they have some kind of weapon.... then i think I would act first and disable the limb.... but lets stick to one scenario at a time.

I, simply being who I am, am a pacifist, I abhor violence, I am however.. good at it and I study the arts less for self defense and more for enlightenment and an attempt at the perfection of movement. Due to that I also study dance. I also rarely every have to resort to fighting due to my size and my ability to intimidate which I have heard is highly effective.. unless you really know me where it becomes funny simply because you would know I would never follow through unless I was absolutely forced to. 0

That said... when sparing I keep finding myself as a counter fighter. I open traps and simply take advantage of what I pretty much know is coming. I also much prefer soft technique to hard.. but that’s just me.

If I can at all talk my way out of, walk away from, or intimidate my way out of every encounter if at all possible....

But I have an advantage... I am a big scary guy.... even if I am teddy bear.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Thank you. I was looking at an e-mail that someone had sent me and is was about a poll or vote if you will asking various martial artists what style they thought would be the most effective and what would be the least effective. Out of the 760 various martial artists 90% of them stated that Kenpo Karate would be the most effective and Tae Kwan Doe would be the least effective. The reason I asked the question on KenpoTalk is I just wanted to know others opinions about that same question.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Boy am I glad I didn't answer Tae Bo as my first choice. I would have made them sweat to death and tehy would have died healthy.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Hi.

My opinion is that the most effective marial arts is the one that keeps me from getting hit and getting hurt.

The worst style is the one where I feel pain and my opponent doesn't.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links