Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grafting - Favorite grafting techniques

Thanks

Default Grafting - Favorite grafting techniques

So......

What are some of your favorite techniques to graft?

I was doing leaping crane with the extension today and instead of going around in front of the person, I found it grafts nicely into leap of death.

Any other favorites?

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: Grafting - Favorite grafting techniques

I like to do Hooking Wings and just after the claw I go into Five Swords starting at the left hand striking the chin.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,792 Times in 1,309 Posts

I like grafting outward motion to a thrust. Its tricky but possible. For example the BK in alternating maces is a thrusting BK.
    Sean

Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    I like to do Hooking Wings and just after the claw I go into Five Swords starting at the left hand striking the chin.
    Cool! I can visualize it, but will have to wait till this evenings class to actually try that one.

I can't really think of two in particular that I like to graft at this moment. Perhaps it's too early in the morning. "Yawns." =)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Here is a real cool advanced one:

Defensive Cross into Entwined Maces.

Just plant forward (instead of back) when executing the front kick in Defensive Cross (and make it a thrust) and hit the opponent with a right lifting forearm smash. From that point, go into the left rear crossover and right outward elbow strike from Entwined Maces and continue on with the rest of the technique.

Definitely, one of my favorities.

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    I like it Rob....I'll try that one tonight, brother.

Jamie Seabrook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    Here is a real cool advanced one:

Defensive Cross into Entwined Maces.

Just plant forward (instead of back) when executing the front kick in Defensive Cross (and make it a thrust) and hit the opponent with a right lifting forearm smash. From that point, go into the left rear crossover and right outward elbow strike from Entwined Maces and continue on with the rest of the technique.

Definitely, one of my favorities.

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com
    You guys are putting together combos I hadn't considered. I like this one too....shoot, keep 'em coming! =)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Anymore grafts?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,792 Times in 1,309 Posts

How about puting charging ram after the uppercut in Five swords.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,175 Posts

I graft all the time...unintentionally. I call it Daugherty-Do. My teacher just gives me a long suffering look and says "try it again".

Thanks

Funny.

It's actually a compliment of sorts or rather a validation. It means that you're moving. It's the movement that counts, not the specific move.

I put the wrong extensions ....uh, I mean I try grafting different extensions, onto the moves all the time.

As long as it works.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

Thanks

Anymore grafts that y'all are holding back on.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Here's a graft that I like to use for my beginners:

Mace of Agression & Intercepting the Ram

Scenario: Someone grabs you for Mace of Agression but you fail to pin the hands firmly as you begin to defend/attack

After the hammer through the jaw and down to the arm, you lose the pin as their hand slips out. You try to complete the inward elbow, however, they duck under it and try to tackle you to the ground. As they duck the elbow, come through with the knee and overhead hammerfist from Intercepting the Ram while following the path of least resistance and planting hard with the overhead elbow to the spine using MoG. Typically I stop with the drop of the overhead elbow on the spine on this graft.

This is also fun if you feel like working some ground fighting. Sometimes I just have them work a what-if scenario on this graft. If the attacker dodges the elbow and succeds in the tackle. I've had them work from a closed guard position and practice getting to a choke out. I personally like throwing this in, because, though I should never let anyone so close to me that I end up on the ground unless my knee is dropped on their face... so many fights do end up on the ground and personally I have to overcome a psychological barrier that reminds me of being trapped by my brother as a kid.. unable to move.

Of course in regular class, we drill Mace of Agression over and over with a ton of emphasis on pinning those hands and being quick with the elbow. Of course the nice little scrape/stomp down the leg is a bit of a detterant from them coming in I would think. Ouch... that would really hurt with shoes on.
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

SUPPORT KENPOTALK:http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/payments.php

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    So......

What are some of your favorite techniques to graft?

I was doing leaping crane with the extension today and instead of going around in front of the person, I found it grafts nicely into leap of death.

Any other favorites?

--Amy
    Flashing Mace into Leaping Crane and Five Swords into Sheilding Hammer.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Another one I enjoy: Circling Destruction & Five Swords

Initial attack is a straight left punch. Execute Circling Destruction up to the back knucle. Clear the arm with a right inward hammerfist and follow through with an outward handsword to the neck and heel palm to the side of the face, grabbing and ripping through w/ opposing force as you uppercut to the kidneys for Five Swords on the back side of the body. Gotta love a nice uppercut to the kidneys.
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cameypsaromatis
    Here's a graft that I like to use for my beginners:

Mace of Agression & Intercepting the Ram

Scenario: Someone grabs you for Mace of Agression but you fail to pin the hands firmly as you begin to defend/attack

After the hammer through the jaw and down to the arm, you lose the pin as their hand slips out. You try to complete the inward elbow, however, they duck under it and try to tackle you to the ground. As they duck the elbow, come through with the knee and overhead hammerfist from Intercepting the Ram while following the path of least resistance and planting hard with the overhead elbow to the spine using MoG. Typically I stop with the drop of the overhead elbow on the spine on this graft.

This is also fun if you feel like working some ground fighting. Sometimes I just have them work a what-if scenario on this graft. If the attacker dodges the elbow and succeds in the tackle. I've had them work from a closed guard position and practice getting to a choke out. I personally like throwing this in, because, though I should never let anyone so close to me that I end up on the ground unless my knee is dropped on their face... so many fights do end up on the ground and personally I have to overcome a psychological barrier that reminds me of being trapped by my brother as a kid.. unable to move.

Of course in regular class, we drill Mace of Agression over and over with a ton of emphasis on pinning those hands and being quick with the elbow. Of course the nice little scrape/stomp down the leg is a bit of a detterant from them coming in I would think. Ouch... that would really hurt with shoes on.
    I like it Camey. You must have a great teacher.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    Flashing Mace into Leaping Crane
    Larry Tatum does this graft so nicely on "tip of the week".

His website is

www.ltatum.com

Jamie Seabrook

Thanks

Larry Tatum does this graft so nicely on "tip of the week".

His website is

www.ltatum.com

Jamie Seabrook
    Yes I saw that a few months ago. When is he going to start back up with that?
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Thanks, Jamie. I miss my instructor(s), my head instructor has been out of the country for a few years now, and the other stepped away from the dojo over six months ago due to some unfortunate politics.
    I like it Camey. You must have a great teacher.
    -Camey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    Yes I saw that a few months ago. When is he going to start back up with that?
    He hinted, at a seminar recently, that the best way to get him to put up a tip is to comment on something and tell him it won't work.

That gets him moving like nobody's business.

--Amy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links