Thread: How do you prepare for tournaments?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 909 Posts

Default How do you prepare for tournaments?

What training methods do you use in preparation for a tournament?
    Cardio? Sparring drills? Etc.....? =)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: How do you prepare for tournaments?

I practice, and practice and practice. I spar as much as posssible if I am going to compete in sparring, I practice my forms as much as possible for forms competition, and that includes bowing intothe ring, presentation and full out perfromance of the form ech time. The only way to get better at an event is to pratctice sopecifically for it.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    Depends what I am competing in.

For forms, I practice my form at least once daily, full power, and to the best of my abilities. I visualize the judges and where I would be in the ring as I do the form. I also go through the form slowly, making sure that I don't lose important detail in the form by simply executing it at full speed. The same goes for weapons forms.

For sparring, if I fight full-contact, I make sure I fight A LOT, and against top quality opponents, as I prepare. If point sparring, the same thing, although I have to admit, I think point-sparring teaches a lot of bad habits and doesn't prepare you for what an attacker would try to do to you in a real fight. That's why my adult students usually fight continuous with no stops when we have sparring class.

For self-defense, I do the techniques over and over on my training partner. At least 50% of your techniques routine is dependent upon how your partner responds to your shots. If you don't have a good partner, it's hard to dance....

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    Depends what I am competing in.
    Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com
    I totally agree. If it is forms or techniques I practice practice practice. The more repition means that it will become muscle memory so you would not really have to think about it. If it is sparring I run and spar as much as possible. Running will help your lungs so you can spar for a longer period of time without getting tired.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 909 Posts

The "self-defense" competition is new to me. Do you pick the technique you want to perform or do the judges pick them?

-thanks for all the tips btw. =)

Also, do you know if at the World Kenpo Karate Championships for forms competition if the forms are limited to the Parker Forms or can they be any form? Thanks again! =)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

The "self-defense" competition is new to me. Do you pick the technique you want to perform or do the judges pick them?
    In most competitions the "self-defense" are essentially scripted. You are demonstrated self-defense techs against known attacks, with dummies that you have practiced with. I say most, because some are done against random attacks from people you don't know. I've never competed in this category, but I'd like to.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside
    In most competitions the "self-defense" are essentially scripted. You are demonstrated self-defense techs against known attacks, with dummies that you have practiced with. I say most, because some are done against random attacks from people you don't know. I've never competed in this category, but I'd like to.

Lamont
    I once compete at a Black Arts(Military style TKD and other arts mixed together) Tournament and the Self Defenses were drawn out of a hat. It was very interesting, and a lot of fun.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

For points sparring I use drills to isolate the mechanics of my high percentage techniques.

Specifically:

backfist/reverse combination

angular reverse punch entry

high front leg wheel kick

defensive ridgehand

defensive sidekick

I don't really train for continuous outside of our normal class sparring. Usually, I just pick tougher opponents in our sparring class, and have them whoop on me. Continuous is our norm, so this isn't really a change, I just try to up the intensity in the month before the tournament.

Lamont

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    I once compete at a Black Arts(Military style TKD and other arts mixed together) Tournament and the Self Defenses were drawn out of a hat. It was very interesting, and a lot of fun.
    It sounds fun, and its a division that requires absolutely no preparation!

Lamont

~William Drummond

Thanks

Standard Cardio

forms for me... I do them at about 1/16th speed... every part of it. Great for muscle memory and training in your lower stances.

preparation a the tourney itself.... stretching ...

and the magic...

A mp3 player filled with Tom Waits, Lenard Cohen, Nick Cave, and Mr Ghastly and the Ghastly ones.

I have known so many people who were ready for the tourney, trained, were set.. and fell apart due to last min jitters... find a way to relax.

My last big tournament... I found out later that some of the instructors thought I was stoned because I was so relaxed all day. I smacked Steve upside the head for even thinking I did that stuff.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links