Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anything on Jay T Will Please

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Anything on Jay T Will Please

If anyone has any information on the late Jay T Will and is willing to share I'd appreciate it.

Pictures, stories, articles, clips...anything and everything would be welcome and greatly appreciated.

I know of this site: http://lancasterkenpo.tripod.com/jay...ite/index.html

But if anyone has any links to sites with more data on Mr. Will I would appreciate that info as well.

Thank you!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Default Re: Anything on Jay T Will Please

Do you have his books? "Kenpo Karate" and "Advanced Kenpo Karate?"
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

sigung86 is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Wright City, Missouri, United States, 113653311978716, Wright City, Missouri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 729 Posts

Used to have those books, I'll look and see if I still do. You might browse around on www.tracyskarate.com, as I vaguely recall that Mr. Will was, in fact, a Tracy Karate stylist.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sigung86 View Post
    Used to have those books, I'll look and see if I still do. You might browse around on www.tracyskarate.com, as I vaguely recall that Mr. Will was, in fact, a Tracy Karate stylist.
    He studied under both Tracy and Parker. Knowing that you'd think I would have thought of the Tracy website wouldn't you? LOL Thanks!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

sigung86 (09-25-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,115 Times in 1,470 Posts

I don't recall ever seeing anything about Mr. Will on Tracys website, other than listing him in their family tree.

You might try sending Al an email and asking for some information. He might be able to give you some stuff that isn't very available to the general public.
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    He studied under both Tracy and Parker. Knowing that you'd think I would have thought of the Tracy website wouldn't you? LOL Thanks!
    CC, YOu have to understand that I sometimes help out my wife, who is a major computer egg head. And every once in a while I pull a solution out of my as* by simply stating the obvious. And so, every once in a while I forget my station and open my rather large and loose oral orifice.

Intrestingly, for as "prominent" as he was in the "way back" and having published two books on Kenpo when very few, if any, others were available... JT Will has sort of become a non-entity. Back before the days before the WWW, I tried to find info on him for personal knowledge (after he was gone),and in spite of copius amounts of postage, and time spent waiting for responses, any "fruitful"knowledge" was virtually non-existent.

Closing my oral orifice now and signing off...

Dan

Thanks

Scanned from "Kenpo Karate" and "Advanced Kenpo Karate."

Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,699 Times in 966 Posts

I met him...sort of...almost...but not exactly or very officially...not too long before he died. I was training in an American Karate school in the Atlanta area. The head instructor was taking private lessons from Mr. Will in Kenpo. Due to the fact that I basically lived at the school one summer, I was privileged to be present when Mr. Will came to visit on one occasion (when classes were not in session). I also saw my instructor sharing some of the Kenpo he had learned with another student on the side of the mat outside of class.

I remember watching what he was doing, being very interested, and then thinking, "I don't think we do anything like that."

I wouldn't begin my own kenpo training until after I left that school.

Joel

Thanks

Interesting... I am home recovering from surgery and so have plenty of time. I went out on the WWW looking for hints and trails on Mr. Will. There's not a lot. I even looked for the television stations, etc. mentioned in the above pages of his book. Nada, zip, it would appear that the stations are all out of business.

I went looking for the film that he was supposed to have made on Kenpo for Self Defense that was so popular at Ohio State University... Once again, nada. I think it's most unfortunate, but it appears that Mr. Will has simply become a footnote in the history fo Kenpo.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Sigung86, - Sir I hope you recover quickly, and completely from your surgery. I agree with your comment regarding Mr.Will's legacy, but I hope that he is at peace.

PEACE
    1stJohn1:9

Thanks

I am apparently not educated enough to post the original files of some material that a friend of mine sent me this past couple of day regarding Mr. Will. And so, I will paraphrase as follows.

J. T. Will was arrested on a federal count of possession to distribute cocaine.
    He was initially freed on $75,000 bond. His school was raided and they found $750,000 dollars of cocaine (2 lbs 2oz) and more than $124,000 in cash as well as a number of hand guns, and records indicating indicating drug trafficking.

They apparently offered him a chance at a deal if he would turn over his connections, but a deal could not be finalized. He did serve some time, and ruined his career... I had forgotten until reading these files that he was also a TV star appearing in Knight Rider, RipTide, Battle Star Galactica, and Kids are people too. He ruined a whole lot.

When he got out of prison, he was able to reacquire his position as a referee, but died shortly after returning in 1985.

I hope that answers some questions regarding Mr. Will, and why he is a footnote in Kenpo history.

Dan
    Last edited by sigung86; 09-26-2009 at 07:49 PM.

Mac
    KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

I am apparently not educated enough to post the original files of some material that a friend of mine sent me this past couple of day regarding Mr. Will. And so, I will paraphrase as follows.

J. T. Will was arrested on a federal count of possession to distribute cocaine.
    He was initially freed on $75,000 bond. His school was raided and they found $750,000 dollars of cocaine (2 lbs 2oz) and more than $124,000 in cash as well as a number of hand guns, and records indicating indicating drug trafficking.

They apparently offered him a chance at a deal if he would turn over his connections, but a deal could not be finalized. He did serve some time, and ruined his career... I had forgotten until reading these files that he was also a TV star appearing in Knight Rider, RipTide, Battle Star Galactica, and Kids are people too. He ruined a whole lot.

When he got out of prison, he was able to reacquire his position as a referee, but died shortly after returning in 1985.

I hope that answers some questions regarding Mr. Will, and why he is a footnote in Kenpo history.

Dan
    Mr Will did not die until the mid 1990's.
    If you really want to know the true story about Mr Wills arrest you need to do some digging.

I don't believe Mr Will is a footnote in Kenpo history. He was one of the old guard that helped propel Kenpo into the forefront of martial arts. He was a fantastic fighter, an ambassador of Kenpo through t.v./movies/refereeing and he was a loyal and generous friend.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mac For This Useful Post:

KenpoGhost (02-02-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Mr Will did not die until the mid 1990's.
    If you really want to know the true story about Mr Wills arrest you need to do some digging.

I don't believe Mr Will is a footnote in Kenpo history. He was one of the old guard that helped propel Kenpo into the forefront of martial arts. He was a fantastic fighter, an ambassador of Kenpo through t.v./movies/refereeing and he was a loyal and generous friend.
    Sorry Mac... Just quoting the newspaper article. Interesting difference of opinion twixt you and I. He may have been all of the things you say, but try to find anything really useful on the wonderful WWW. It doesn't matter to me. I didn't know him. I'm not arguing with you on anything. Just that from my perspective, when every Tom, Dick, and Harry has multiple websites and scads of material available on the WWW, there's nothing definitive on Mr. Will.

BTW... How come you waited until someone (me) posted something offensive to you before responding? Again... Just curious.

Edit: You're correct Mac. I misread one article I found on him. His career ended in 1985, the rest is not knbown to me, as I would have had to pay for the detailed article.

Mac
    KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

I've been having computer issues and not a lot of time to send emails.
    I'm not offended.
    I just thought I would pitch in my 2cents.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mac For This Useful Post:

sigung86 (09-26-2009)

Thanks

Well... digging around here and there, I was able to piece together some things. Aside from the tragic choices Master Jay T Will made, which seem to have resulted in many of his accomplishments & contributions being swept under the mats... he actually was highly regarded at one time. What follows is a summary I pieced together from various sources of some of Mr. Will's accomplishments and contributions to kenpo:

Master Jay T. Will is known as one of the most versatile martial artist of his day. He was a nationally ranked tournament fighter, a well known referee, and an honored instructor as well as an author and media personality.

Jay T. Will attained an 8th degree black belt under Al Tracy and a 7th degree black belt under Ed Parker. Since opening his first school in 1968 in Columbus, Ohio, Will taught thousands of students and was named “Karate Instructor of the Year” by Black Belt magazine and inducted into the Black Belt Hall of Fame in 1976. He was also named “Kenpo Instructor of the Year” by Inside Kung Fu magazine in 1984.

There are two books authored by Mr. Will, Kenpo Karate for Self Defense and Advanced Kenpo Karate. He also taught the only accredited martial arts program at Ohio State University through their physical education program and was often contracted to teach self defense to officers of various law enforcement agencies.

As a competitive tournament fighter, Will accumulated over 50 trophies in a seven year period as well as quite a few accolades. He was named as one of the “Top Ten Karate Competitors” by Karate Illustrated magazine for the year 1972-1973. He was the Ohio State Black Belt Heavyweight champion (1972), Ohio State Black Belt Grand Champion (1972), East Coast vs West Coast Black Belt Champion (1971), Tournament of Champions Black Belt Champion (1972), Ohio Pennsylvania Karate Championships Grand Champion (1972), Kenpo Karate Black Belt Grand Champion (1973), and Pro-Am Black Belt Grand Champion (1972-1973).

But Will shined in the ring in more ways than one; he began officiating fights in 1976 and would be named “PKA Referee of the Year” in 1982 and in 1983. Karate International magazine named Jay T. Will the “Referee of the Decade” in 1991. As the Director of Referees for the International Sport Karate Association (ISKA), Will refereed over 6000 rounds of regional, US, and International fights; many that were televised by ESPN, NBC, CBS, CTV, SHOWTIME, and European TV.

Mr. Will was also an active member of the Screen Actors Guild. As a stuntman for both television and film, Will appeared in such television classics as Fall Guy, Battlestar Galactica, and Knight Rider. Mr. Will also hosted the syndicated TV show Black Belt Theatre and had a local TV show titled Kenpo Karate for Self Defense.

Master Jay T. Will died in Atlanta, Georgia on March 15, 1995.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

CyberTyger (01-06-2012),Mac (01-07-2012),Z-Rex (01-06-2012)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Welcome back Crippler, thanks for the research on Mr.Will as he is in my Kenpo Family Tree somewhere... I only know that my teacher studied at one of his schools in Ohio in the 80's but we never discussed lineage and now I'm a rouge practitioner refining my Kenpo selectively with info I can obtain from others more in the know than I. Just appreciate your dedication to this information and felt the need to express myself.

salute to you sir

Jim

“Having an open mind does not necessarily lead to perfection. It is your ability to observe, analyze, discern, and understand the true essence th`at basic principles contain that point the way to perfection.” - Ed Parker Sr.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to CyberTyger For This Useful Post:

Celtic_Crippler (01-06-2012)

Thanks

Many on the East Coast, and South East in particular, have him to thank for having access to "kenpo" at all. He was pretty high up in my lineage and I am a curious sort... always asking questions... yeah, I'm THAT guy LOL. So, I wanted to know more. Glad I could shed some light on your lineage as well, sir. :-)

I too am a "kenpo renegade" these days, taking from whatever source I can get my hands on, integrating what is useful into my own "style" as I continue my personal journey. If you're ever in the area don't hesitate to holla'... any and all are welcome on our mats here.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

CyberTyger (01-06-2012)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    Many on the East Coast, and South East in particular, have him to thank for having access to "kenpo" at all. He was pretty high up in my lineage and I am a curious sort... always asking questions... yeah, I'm THAT guy LOL. So, I wanted to know more. Glad I could shed some light on your lineage as well, sir. :-)

I too am a "kenpo renegade" these days, taking from whatever source I can get my hands on, integrating what is useful into my own "style" as I continue my personal journey. If you're ever in the area don't hesitate to holla'... any and all are welcome on our mats here.
    Appreciate the invite sir, almost funny how right you are... I was fortunate to discover a Kenpo instructor in my town of Muskegon as he was looking to open a school, unfortunate that some local instructors let ego and greed chase him out of town and i've lost contact. I'm dropping a pebble in my pond and will be watching the ripples get bigger. Posted over in Videos if you care to peek... it's a start. thanks again sir

“Having an open mind does not necessarily lead to perfection. It is your ability to observe, analyze, discern, and understand the true essence th`at basic principles contain that point the way to perfection.” - Ed Parker Sr.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I went looking for the film that he was supposed to have made on Kenpo for Self Defense that was so popular at Ohio State University... Once again, nada.
    The video was marketed as "Black Belt Karate" (3 volumes). Amazon has them on VHS for about $30 each. They were taken when Jay was a 3rd degree and were broadcast on WOSU (PBS) as "Karate for Self Defense". The material is super-basic, intended as an introduction to the art.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Randy Strausbaugh For This Useful Post:

KirkS (02-05-2012)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I am not sure why I was thinking of Jay T Will today. I haven't thought of him in more than 40 years.
    I trained at Tracy's Karate Studio on 5th Avenue in Columbus, Ohio run by Jay T Will between 1969 and 1973. I moved on in my training and only had a brush with Kenpo. when I would train one on one with a Kenpo 6th dan on Saturdays and Sundays. But we were practicing something entirely different and Kenpo was not part of the workout.
    I wound up living in Virginia and my friends who remained in Columbus would keep me up to date on the happenings in Columbus.
    I recall in the mid 1990's, one of my friends and fellow martial artists called me and told me that Jay T Will had been stabbed to death. I didn't think enough of it at the time to check it out. This friend also told me that Will had served time for coke and had been someone's bodyguard at the time (according to the Columbus Dispatch).
    Now I am inordinately curious as to the facts. The internet is not very helpful as for every credible fact, there are 1000 myths.
    None of what I posted above about Will is a credible fact. Just recollections of hearsay from a time long past.

I am still curious as to the circumstances of Will's death. But some things will always be a mystery, I guess

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links