Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What now?

Thanks

Default What now?

Greetings to all. I am very new to kenpo and have begun the study of the 5.0 system. I will be testing in about 5 weeks and feel confident that I could pass if I were to test next week. I guess it's the level of excitement that any newbie experiences that has motivated me to learn the material very quickly. I also have several years of experience in other martial arts systems so, I have an understanding of "how to learn", and it comes relatively quickly.
    • I know my form on both sides
    • I know the blocking set
    • I know all of the 10 self-defense techniques for this belt level
    • I can demonstrate all of the punches, kicks, stances, and blocks for my belt level
    • I can demonstrate the foot-work manuvers for my belt level
    I can do all of the above in my sleep. I can "sharpen" the self-defense techniques up a bit, and that will come along shortly.

So my question is: What now. Given the depth of experience and wisdom gracing this very forum, there should be some insight into what more I can do to not just prepare for testing but to better position myself for what I am to learn next. I want to develop a very strong set of "basics" for this very reason.

I thank everyone in advance for any responses...even the silly ones that sometimes bring levity to the subject matter here. Everyone here is great and I feel blessed to have such access.

Regards,
    ~Bill Richardson

Rudeness is the frustrated attempt of a small mind to communicate.

Forgive everyone everything

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: What now?

Depending on the intensity of the test (tester) stamina can be important. I remember when I went throught this the first time, I got my yellow and orange belt relatively easy, but after that the tests became more intense and I was getting a little sloppy near the end due to lack of stamina.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Brother Bill,

You have already answered a big question.

1)The Basics
    2) Understand that there is always more,and you always need to search it out.

My Respects
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

oops, double posted.

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toejoe2k View Post

So my question is: What now. Given the depth of experience and wisdom gracing this very forum, there should be some insight into what more I can do to not just prepare for testing but to better position myself for what I am to learn next. I want to develop a very strong set of "basics" for this very reason.
    Greetings, always glad to see enthusiasm. Who do you train under? I work out with a Speakman BB twice a weak, but am not a 5.0 guy myself. Anyway...

You're right about the basics being paramount. Paramount above the techniques, paramount above sparring. Everything you do will only be as good as your ability to apply the basics. Given that you have previous experience, don't focus on the material as being a list of things to know (you realize that, I'm sure), instead work to understand its integration.

Block Set forms a strong basis for understanding the relationship among the various motions that occur within the Outer Rim (ask what that is). So, execute Delayed Sword and stop at the Inward Block. Now forget Delayed Sword altogether. Slowly execute the rest of Block Set and observe the following:

1) what paths of action within the Set make contact?

2) What targets are being hit?

3) What is the result of the impact? (e.g. "impact manipulation") In other words, how does his body react when you ram your inside downward block into his bladder?

4) How does one of the other blocks within the Set deal with another weapon were it to be thrown?

5) Where is your vision in relationship to your immediate environment while you execute this? In other words, if your head is positioned to 12:00, is your perception and attention covering 9:00 to 3:00? What is the advantage of your body positioning if you have someone at 12:00 just behind your first attacker? What disadvantages do you see if you've got someone at 3:00 or 6:00? In short, look at your body positioning and peripheral vision in relationship to your immediate environment (by immediate, I mean within contact range).

6) What from your previous knowledge fits right into where you are in relation to his body? Within only a few moves, what can be done to 1) take him down, 2) blind him, 3) break a bone, 4) create some kind of internal damage, 5) render him unconscious, or even 6) kill him?

Now look at your footwork, forget the hands. How can the transitions allow you to move in the directions you want to move? Consider this for long term study.

In short, kenpo is a language. You've been taught some words (basics), a list of basics (Block Set), some short pre-fabbed sentences (techniques). Using your current vocabulary, and pulling from you knowledge of your other languages (other systems), can you formulate "See Spot Run", or "The Red Ball Bounces", slowly and precisely to get a desired effect. By operating on a desired effect, you create a proactive situation, and decide on the outcome (a later topic for you, but an important one to keep in mind).

But, you've got the right approach. Quality of basics, honed through practice, is the key. Sounds like you're doing just fine.

Cheers,

Steven Brown
    UKF

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bujuts For This Useful Post:

Anoise (08-28-2007),Richard Finn (10-09-2007)

Thanks

Heels out.

Knees out.

Knees bent.

Back straight.

Butt tucked under.

Check toe/heel alignment.

(It's almost like being in my class! lol.)

Do these things and all of your techniques will probably be all right.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong View Post
    Heels out.

Knees out.

Knees bent.

Back straight.

Butt tucked under.

Check toe/heel alignment.

(It's almost like being in my class! lol.)

Do these things and all of your techniques will probably be all right.

--Amy
    Great Horse stance
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

You've got the ideal stage down...start looking at teh what if stage:

What if the attaker is very tall, or very short
    what if he puts an extra move
    what if he continues to attack
    what if he blocks your punch
    what if he moves in too close

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Eastvale (Corona), CA; training out of Los Angeles
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anoise View Post
    I agree... your instructor will probrably throw some attacks in that you have not learned defenses for yet, just to see how you will respond. Without stressing your brain over it, think about some other attacks or grabs that might come your way in a fight, and think of what you can do to defend against them. This will help to open your mind and be prepared for those techniques you haven't experienced in class yet.
    "Your kung fu's no good..."
    *Warrior, Scholar*

Thanks

What if the attaker is very tall, or very short
    what if he puts an extra move
    what if he continues to attack
    what if he blocks your punch
    what if he moves in too close

Or what if your tech works
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

Anoise (08-28-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by domino3700 View Post
    I agree... your instructor will probrably throw some attacks in that you have not learned defenses for yet, just to see how you will respond. Without stressing your brain over it, think about some other attacks or grabs that might come your way in a fight, and think of what you can do to defend against them. This will help to open your mind and be prepared for those techniques you haven't experienced in class yet.
    Or dont think about it at all and just react naturaly
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Thanks

Bujuts wrote:
    Greetings, always glad to see enthusiasm. Who do you train under? I work out with a Speakman BB twice a weak, but am not a 5.0 guy myself.
    I train with (and am very impressed by) Truitt Wieland out of San Antonio. He is a phenominal instructor with a very good program. I have suspended my jujitsu training to pick up this system and am very glad that I did. I have to drive 1.5 hours each way twice each week and it's well worth it. Can I herold the praises of this instructor/progam any more? I'll refrain for everyone's benefit. Suffice it to say that I am so glad that I chose Kenpo as a system to round out my tool box of techniques.
    ~Bill Richardson

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    Or what if your tech works
    LOL I forgot that one

Thanks

LOL I forgot that one
    Sometimes we forget that it will work.

Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Relax! Don't fight it, just do it.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Bujuts wrote:

I train with (and am very impressed by) Truitt Wieland out of San Antonio. He is a phenominal instructor with a very good program. I have suspended my jujitsu training to pick up this system and am very glad that I did. I have to drive 1.5 hours each way twice each week and it's well worth it. Can I herold the praises of this instructor/progam any more? I'll refrain for everyone's benefit. Suffice it to say that I am so glad that I chose Kenpo as a system to round out my tool box of techniques.
    Awesome, I'm going to be in your training hall for the Speakman seminar the first weekend in October. I know for sure that my instructor and I are coming, but I'm not sure on anyone else from the Springdale, AR school. I just purchased my plane tickets online for that weekend.

I'm excited because I'll be testing as well. I'm going for purple and I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I have the sets and form down. The techniques are there. I'm just tidying everything up over the next five weeks or so. It will be my first kick to the gut from Mr. Speakman (working on the assumption I pass), so that's pretty exciting too.

Thanks

Benny-AR wrote:
    Awesome, I'm going to be in your training hall for the Speakman seminar the first weekend in October. I know for sure that my instructor and I are coming, but I'm not sure on anyone else from the Springdale, AR school. I just purchased my plane tickets online for that weekend.

I'm excited because I'll be testing as well. I'm going for purple and I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I have the sets and form down. The techniques are there. I'm just tidying everything up over the next five weeks or so. It will be my first kick to the gut from Mr. Speakman (working on the assumption I pass), so that's pretty exciting too.
    That's great! It'll be good to see you there. It's my understanding that it will be a pretty full weekend with him there. My family and I haven't decided on making the drive each of the Friday and Saturday that he's there or just getting a hotel room there in S.A. and saving some gas and mileage. It will be good to have so many there. Look me up where you get there so I can shake your hand.
    ~Bill Richardson

20. The Following User Says Thank You to toejoe2k For This Useful Post:

Benny-AR (08-29-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

That's great! It'll be good to see you there...
    Have a good time guys. If you meet Dan Pribble (great guy, excellent kenpoist), give him a sock in the jaw and tell it was from me

Steven Brown
    UKF

22. The Following User Says Thank You to bujuts For This Useful Post:

Benny-AR (08-29-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Benny-AR wrote:

That's great! It'll be good to see you there. It's my understanding that it will be a pretty full weekend with him there. My family and I haven't decided on making the drive each of the Friday and Saturday that he's there or just getting a hotel room there in S.A. and saving some gas and mileage. It will be good to have so many there. Look me up where you get there so I can shake your hand.
    I'm excited about each day. The way I understand the schedule, the testing will be on Friday night, the public seminar will be on Saturday and then a closed session for just Speakman school attendees on Sunday.

But I should be able to to remember your name going into the seminar. I'm a bit of a political buff and I equate your name to that of a former governor of New Mexico who is now running for President.

This will be my first martial arts seminar of any kind, so I'm really excited about it.

Thanks

I'm excited about each day. The way I understand the schedule, the testing will be on Friday night, the public seminar will be on Saturday and then a closed session for just Speakman school attendees on Sunday.

But I should be able to to remember your name going into the seminar. I'm a bit of a political buff and I equate your name to that of a former governor of New Mexico who is now running for President.

This will be my first martial arts seminar of any kind, so I'm really excited about it.
    You are correct about the schedule. It's a full weekend.
    I'll refrain from making any statements about my political name sake, thank you very much.

You picked a good one to make your first MA seminar.
    ~Bill Richardson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links