Thread: Stupid me! Pay Attention!!

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Default Stupid me! Pay Attention!!

begining of class...I'm tired after a long day at work and a long commute home. The kids are fighting about where to go for dinner, and I'm late for class.
    First technique, Delayed Sword...I do a briliant Sword of Distruction OK so I'm having a little issue with focus..."Delayed Sword" I revert to TKD and move to the outside (a habbit I havent fully broken obviously)...the block was great..it was the kick that did me in. Full force to the guy's knee ( I would have pulled back had I made it to the groin, but where I was that was impossible). He heard a crack and I couldnt walk!
    When I woke up today I was able to walk, so it's not broken. But it still hurts.

I used to think I'd get injured by an over-zealous student over my own lack of focus. Do you think most injuries in class can be prevented, or are injuries just bound to happen?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anoise For This Useful Post:

Brother John (08-16-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Default Re: Stupid me! Pay Attention!!

Quote Originally Posted by Anoise View Post
    begining of class...I'm tired after a long day at work and a long commute home. The kids are fighting about where to go for dinner, and I'm late for class.
    First technique, Delayed Sword...I do a briliant Sword of Distruction OK so I'm having a little issue with focus..."Delayed Sword" I revert to TKD and move to the outside (a habbit I havent fully broken obviously)...the block was great..it was the kick that did me in. Full force to the guy's knee ( I would have pulled back had I made it to the groin, but where I was that was impossible). He heard a crack and I couldnt walk!
    When I woke up today I was able to walk, so it's not broken. But it still hurts.

I used to think I'd get injured by an over-zealous student over my own lack of focus. Do you think most injuries in class can be prevented, or are injuries just bound to happen?
    I'm sorry to hear that you got hurt!!
    Make sure to use "ICE".

Yes, I think that lack of focus is probably the biggest reasons that injuries occur. Being over-zealous is one big reason for a lack of focus too.

Take care!!
    Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Brother John For This Useful Post:

Anoise (08-16-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Brother John is right, Ice it. Ice for injuries, heat for flare ups. I'm a pro at this.

Don't feel toe bad..sorry.. couldn't resist. I'm just getting over a bad foot injury from doing almost the same thing. It happens.

Your hobby is a physical one, and though you take steps to protect yourself and avoid inuries, the law of averages says you'll get injured sooner or later.

We meditate prior to training to get our "minds" in the right place. A little relaxation and reminder to focus on the training and not the grocery list can help to avoid the cause of your particular injury. Hope that helps!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brother John View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that you got hurt!!
    Make sure to use "ICE".

Yes, I think that lack of focus is probably the biggest reasons that injuries occur. Being over-zealous is one big reason for a lack of focus too.

Take care!!
    Your Brother
    John
    I iced it last night and on and off today at work.
    I'm usually afraid of the other guy being over aggressive, I guess I should be more afraid of myself getting myself hurt

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    Don't feel toe bad..sorry.. couldn't resist. I'm just getting over a bad foot injury from doing almost the same thing. It happens. !
    And I was gonna post dont feel bad about laughing at me...I may be a bit pissed at myself, but I cant help but be amused.

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    We meditate prior to training to get our "minds" in the right place. A little relaxation and reminder to focus on the training and not the grocery list can help to avoid the cause of your particular injury. Hope that helps!
    Oh crap the grocery list! I forgot to go shopping! Yeah I think we had all of 5 seconds of meditation last night.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Eastvale (Corona), CA; training out of Los Angeles
    Thanks

For me, I either get injured or accidently injure someone else when I'm tired from the workout. Once I'm breathing hard and my legs get heavy and my techniques get sloppy, that's usually when disaster might strike. I'm still nursing a sore achilles tendon from three weeks ago because I was sloppy with a spin kick.
    "Your kung fu's no good..."
    *Warrior, Scholar*

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Talking Re: Stupid me! Pay Attention!!

First off sorry you got hurt, it will happen , just law of averages. If it makes you feel better I remember one time I was just flat out spent, long day same as you, here I am a white belt going over Crash of the Eagle w/ my Instructor, had done a bunch of times in the past and half way through I did something from a different technique, (not focusing obviously) and if he hadn't been paying attention and stepped back with a block, I would have nailed him right in the jewels. To this day I remember the look he shot me and me wondering who was going to clean my body parts off the dojo floor. Also had the same problem at first, earasing all the TKD stuff out of my system. Fortunately, the instructor allowed me to live

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tce77 View Post
    First off sorry you got hurt, it will happen , just law of averages. If it makes you feel better I remember one time I was just flat out spent, long day same as you, here I am a white belt going over Crash of the Eagle w/ my Instructor, had done a bunch of times in the past and half way through I did something from a different technique, (not focusing obviously) and if he hadn't been paying attention and stepped back with a block, I would have nailed him right in the jewels. To this day I remember the look he shot me and me wondering who was going to clean my body parts off the dojo floor. Also had the same problem at first, earasing all the TKD stuff out of my system. Fortunately, the instructor allowed me to live
    Isnt that the point to be able to do without thinking? On the street, you dont have time to think. You just have to act. I have a hard time pairing the name of the technique with the action, so I just move when something comes at me. Looks like I need to spend more time studing.
    THe good news is I was able to run my 5 miles today and I'm walking normal, so Monday evening I will be ready to kick again!

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    At home, playing chess with a bust of Julius Caesar
    Thanks

Isnt that the point to be able to do without thinking? On the street, you dont have time to think. You just have to act. I have a hard time pairing the name of the technique with the action, so I just move when something comes at me.
    In practical application (meaning testing yourself against random attacks from a partner), that's how it should be. The most important part of a technique is the part where you don't get hit/choked/etc. Technique names are there to get everyone on the same page, enabling us to quickly help each other out. So they're not there to increase your performance, but your progress.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Eastvale (Corona), CA; training out of Los Angeles
    Thanks

Isnt that the point to be able to do without thinking? On the street, you dont have time to think. You just have to act. I have a hard time pairing the name of the technique with the action, so I just move when something comes at me. Looks like I need to spend more time studing.
    Don't worry, we all are trying to reach that level of response, which is why we all train... keep up the good work!
    "Your kung fu's no good..."
    *Warrior, Scholar*

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links