Thread: Universal Kempo vs American Kempo

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Question Universal Kempo vs American Kempo

Hello all, I am a pure beginner to the world of Kempo (taking my 2nd lesson tonight!)

The class I go to teach "Universal Kempo-Karate" (http://universalkempo.com/)which appears to be different than the "American Kempo" that I have read so much about on this forum and others. Is anyone familiar with this version of Kempo, and can advise me of any real differences between the two?

In my first lesson, we did not mention forms at all, and all of the people there (15 of us ranging from White to Black Belt) were all training the same moves that the instructor was showing us. Is this common?

I apologise for the beginner questions, I am just wanting to make sure this is the right school for me before I commit to anything longer term.

Thank you very much in advance for any advice you can give!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Re: Universal Kempo vs American Kempo

Interesting....

Not a lot of info on the web page. It seems it has Hawaian roots with a heavy Chinese influence based on what I read.

At any rate, Amercian Kenpo was created by SGM Ed Parker, who also trained in Hawaii.

Hawaii was a "bottleneck" of martial knowledge due to it's location between Asia and the U.S. mainland. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find you study similar principles and methods.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Thank you very much for the reply! I appreciate you taking the time to reply to aid my lack of knowledge!

I guess I am just confused about how people progress in terms of belts and things. From everything i've read, testing for belts requires knowing several different forms. How would one learn that in class if we have a class consisting of people with all different colour belts? I would presume that each belt colour would learn different forms, and am wondering how they get enough 1on1 to be able to learn.

I asked the instructor on Tuesday about the differences, and he said they were similar, but that ours had more of a chinese base to it than the Ed Parker system.

Thank you again!

Zakonax - still feeling very sore after my first lesson on Tuesday!!

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I believe even though it's called universal kempo, it is primarily kajukenbo after reading professor Buell's bio. He trained under prof. Adriano Emperado up through atleast 3rd degree if I remember correctly. So, if you wanted american kenpo, you're not getting it. But, kajukenbo is a good system also. And prof. Buell definately has a very good pedigree. So unless you're stuck on Am. kenpo (if it's even available in your area), I think you'll be alright with this system. That's my opinion anyway. As far as forms, tech., etc.. with kajukenbo (at least when I did some, back in the early 90's), there were like 13-16 Palama's (forms) I think two per belt level and a dozen or so self-defense techniques per belt level against punches, grabs, arm bars, clubs, knives, bo, etc... it's a solid system, a little more flowery in my opinion than am. kenpo but effective nonetheless.
    Duke

5. The Following User Says Thank You to slomokenpo For This Useful Post:

Zakonax (08-06-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Kajukenbo and Kenpo are very similar many regards. I would reccomend either to anyone looking to learn a good self defense system.

Many schools have students of varying levels of skill and rank. This is nothing new.

The approach the instructor uses varies, but there are some routine methods. If there is no official assistant instructor, sometimes upper ranks will assist in showing the lower ranks things like forms. Then, leave them to practice while the head instructor goes over their material.

Repetition is the key, so basically once you've been shown something it's up to you to practice over and over and over....the instructor will routinely check on your progress and make necessary adjustments to what you're doing, but that doesn't require 100% of their attention.

Hope that helps...
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (08-06-2007),Zakonax (08-06-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zakonax View Post
    Hello all, I am a pure beginner to the world of Kempo (taking my 2nd lesson tonight!)

The class I go to teach "Universal Kempo-Karate" (http://universalkempo.com/)which appears to be different than the "American Kempo" that I have read so much about on this forum and others. Is anyone familiar with this version of Kempo, and can advise me of any real differences between the two?

In my first lesson, we did not mention forms at all, and all of the people there (15 of us ranging from White to Black Belt) were all training the same moves that the instructor was showing us. Is this common?

I apologise for the beginner questions, I am just wanting to make sure this is the right school for me before I commit to anything longer term.

Thank you very much in advance for any advice you can give!
    Yes, it is much different, and it is also very good.

Back in 83-87 in Colorado there was only one style that could compete with my boys, and it was the boys from Universal Kenpo. We had a great war going on.

Loads of fun.

DOC

9. The Following User Says Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

Zakonax (08-08-2007)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Thank you all for the replies!

I am having a great time thus far, learning lots of good techniques. Having difficulties with most of it, but then it is only my 2nd week!

I appreciate the help, thank you again!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zakonax For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (08-08-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zakonax View Post
    Thank you all for the replies!

I am having a great time thus far, learning lots of good techniques. Having difficulties with most of it, but then it is only my 2nd week!

I appreciate the help, thank you again!
    It gets real good,keep going
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (08-08-2007)

Thanks

Don't worry soo much... Just keep an open mind and train hard- It is natural to be curious but after 1 lesson just let it sink in-
    The above is just my opinion.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links