Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do YOU do when you train on your own.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Default What do YOU do when you train on your own.

1st: a BIG tip to new Kenpoists (and a reminder to the old ones)
    TRAIN every day! The more often you bring your mind and body to work on Kenpo, the better you will become. You aren't just a Kenpoist in class, but all the time. Train that way and you'll reap a great deal of benefit.

My question for discussion: When you do train on your own, or even with a buddy (someone who's NOT one of your instructors), HOW do you determine what material you want to cover??
    In Kenpo we have such a wide birth of material we can cover....how do YOU decide?

Do you work the latest techs that you'd gained?
    DO you work family groupings?
    Do you work on weak areas to bring up what's lagging?
    Do you relax and enjoy yourself by going over your favorites? Your strengths?
    what......?

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Thanks

Default Re: What do YOU do when you train on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother John
    TRAIN every day! The more often you bring your mind and body to work on Kenpo, the better you will become. You aren't just a Kenpoist in class, but all the time. Train that way and you'll reap a great deal of benefit.

My question for discussion: When you do train on your own, or even with a buddy (someone who's NOT one of your instructors), HOW do you determine what material you want to cover??
    In Kenpo we have such a wide birth of material we can cover....how do YOU decide?

what......?

Your Brother
    John
    Basics is where it all begins so when I do train I focus mainly on basics and than I review what I leared. You will never be an excellent Black Belt if you basics are horrible. I did not mean that remak to anybody it was just a general thought.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

and a GOOD thought it is too!!

I strongly believe that the quality of the Kenpoist will NEVER exceed the quality of their basics!

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

MJS
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,131 Times in 599 Posts

Many times, rather than always running through things full speed-full power, I'll run through the material slowly, stopping after each move to make sure that its being executed properly, the proper footwork is there, etc. Does it take a bit longer? Sure does, but IMO, in the long run, it'll make your material much better when you're applying it faster.

Mike

Thanks

Yeah...
    Lots of people try to become speed demons and end up sacrificing quite a bit of good that would have otherwise made their motions all the more effective and efficient. Going slow, in the long run, is a short cut.
    (Because you end up learning to do it RIGHT, the first time)

good call!
    anyone else??

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Mostly work on new stuff, working one tech slow until I can do it with out pause, checking footwork, positioning, some what ifs.

Still working long 3, so that takes up a lot of time.

Also reviewing the old stuff, althought I keep getting distracted cause I'll take an old tech and use some of the things I've learned lately and end up playing with the tech for awhile.
    This is how I wear my Kenpo suit. Still trying to learn how to put it on and it's a little wrinkled, but it is starting to feel pretty good on me.

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: What do YOU do when you train on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother John

what......?

Your Brother
    John
    That is a great question John.

What I have been doing the past couple of years is keeping track of everything I cover on a daily basis by writing it into a log. That way I balance out and make sure I practice all of the forms, sets, and techniques consistently. I also keep track of how often I spar, to make sure my sparring skills are improving. I find a log is a great idea to make sure I am not neglecting a specific area of my training.

Good post.

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Jamie,

I like the idea of keeping a training log. Iím sure that helps keep you covering everything and not getting stuck in a rut. Good idea.

Yours in kenpo,
    Mike Guercio AKKI Westminster, MD

Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,069 Posts

it depends on how much time I have that day.

I like to run through all 6 kata that I know. If I ahve plenty of time I will start with that.

if time is shorter I will just work through the techs in one or two groups - club and knife, or gun and grab etc - whatever it seems like I haven't touched lately.

For each tech I go through it slowly at first to remind myself of the precise movements before executing it at proper speed etc.

I need to keep a journal.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maltair
    Also reviewing the old stuff, althought I keep getting distracted cause I'll take an old tech and use some of the things I've learned lately and end up playing with the tech for awhile.
    I'm RIGHT THERE with you man...
    seriously.

I'll be working on some tech that I've known for a while, notice a similarity or some form of relationship with another tech, or find a new way to graft into something else....and I'm Gone. Sometimes I eat up a good portion of my time with this. It's fun and has lead to some insights, but I think sometimes by going off on a tangent like that and getting "lost in my Kenpo" I miss out on covering lots of other things that also need maintenance or spit n' polish.

Jamie Seabrook said:
    What I have been doing the past couple of years is keeping track of everything I cover on a daily basis by writing it into a log. That way I balance out and make sure I practice all of the forms, sets, and techniques consistently. I also keep track of how often I spar, to make sure my sparring skills are improving. I find a log is a great idea to make sure I am not neglecting a specific area of my training.
    That is an excellent idea too! I kinda sorta keep a journal of my Kenpo progress and training, but I couldn't call it a log. A log would probably have to be more methodical and definitely more consistant.

Plotting things out for yourself is also very important, as you said, for making sure you hit all those techs/forms/sets....etc. One way I do that is to try to make sure that I focus on one belt level worth of material per day. Most curricula are plotted out, deviding the material out into specific belt levels. Therefore the most you'd ever have to do would be 8 days and you'd be back at the beginning. (IF you work extentions it wouldn't add any days as you could just automatically place them on the techs already on that belt lev.'s day)

Jamie: I like your idea of logging your sparing. I'd bet my sparing would improve even more if I did something like that. List who you fought, how long and how things basically went. Might start to notice trends as well as habits.
    Good idea!

keep the ideas going guys...
    anything else that can help a Kenpoist keep in regular practice outside of the studio??

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ David Bly

Thanks

Also:
    WHEN do you train when you train Alone???

Me?
    Right after I get off work is when I tend to get my "Technique" workouts in...I have about an hour, maybe more, before family duties come about.... I can use that time for working on my Kenpo.
    Also:
    Right after I wake up and right before I go to bed I like to go through some forms and sets.

......what about you?

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Yeah, I like to do forms and sets in the morning and in the evening. I'll do techniques any time during the day that I'm alone like on the elevator at work, I hope there's no security camera's, LOL

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Southwell
    I'll do techniques any time during the day that I'm alone like on the elevator at work, I hope there's no security camera's, LOL
    HAHAHAHA.....
    I know exactly what you mean. The other day I had a technique on my mind and I was running the through the hand motions of it in the air, small scale (not full motion), and the director of my facility laughed from behind me. He said "There goes Brother John....waving his arms in the air again".
    I just laughed and said I was "Battling my inner Demons".
    hahaha....

Yes: "Brother John" is my nickname in more than just Martial Arts forums.
    Yes: He knew I was doing my Kenpo...
    my addiction is known...

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ David Bly

Thanks
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 798 Posts

Since I work from home most days. I take breaks away from the computer and spend spend time working on a different belt level each day. I have check sheets I developed for my students and I use them myself. I go through each technique on each that belt level then the form and sets for that level. After I have gone through each belt level I spend a couple days playing with family groupings, and then I spend a couple days working problem techniques. I use the basics as my warm up for each session.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

sounds pretty well rounded Rob.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: What do YOU do when you train on your own?

Good thread topic Brother John.

Sorry I hadn't responded to this thread yet; guess I missed it. Not having had a regular training partner in almost two years, I pretty much "train on my own." I practice at home & after class by myself. We have very few students in the school at the moment, & the ones who are there have schedules which do not allow them to stay late or meet & get together outside of class to practice (I'm not saying this to "blame" anyone or to make them feel bad, just stating a fact--I love Kenpo & my school, & if that's the way it is, so be it). I do the best I can - one night I'll practice a few techniques from a chart, the next night forms, the next sets, etc. If I'm having trouble with something, I'll ask for help from my instructor before he goes home & then will stay, write down some notes, & practice it a few more times before I leave the dojo. Whatever chart I don't finish one week, I finish it the following week.

Sometimes at work I'll find myself practicing the hand motions of the newest form or set that I'm learning at my desk! (my coworkers think I'm weird anyway so they just ignore me)

The truly educated never graduate.
    "To understand the heart & mind of a person, look not at what they have already achieved, but what they aspire to do." -Kahlil Gibran

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

When we work at home it's as a family, we blast thru every technique starting with the first one we learned, as soon as somebody trips up on one, we go over that one a few times, then move one...

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

These mysterious hand movement thingies must be contagious.

I keep getting asked at the strangest times, like, what in the world are you doing with your hands. And I'm like, gee, I didn't know I was doing things with my hands...

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

When I work out alone, I tend to start/warm-up with whatever techniques, sets, and forms I'm working on for my next rank. After that, I spend the majority of my time either working basics, or training stuff that I don't get enough time on (or that we don't do at all) in classes (i.e. knife work)

For basics, I spend a lot of time on the heavy bag and on BOB; heavy bag for power, BOB for accuracy. Often, I'll pick one type of basic (handswords, elbows, palm-strikes, etc.) and work all the variations of that one basic for a while.
    The test: "Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so, and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul?" ~ Col. Rex Applegate

Matt K.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 798 Posts

Some may disagree with me when I say this, but for the people under Purple Belt it isn't what they do as is important thatthey are doing somethingto help their training. Now I am not saying that it is ok to goof off and do stupid things, but for many beginners it can be hard to train on their own away fromt he school, and they can become frustrated. That frustrationthen later turns and they lose the desire to work out ontheir own which hurts them later on when they need ithte most. The fact that a beginner is just working on their material at home is such an inner strength building exercise because they are developing a good habit that will help them so much later on.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links