Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: technique question

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default technique question

what is back up mass?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"Excuses are tools used by the incompetent to build monuments of nothing and bridges that lead to no where. Those who excel in excuses seldomly succeed in anything."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

Default Re: technique question

It is one of the primary ways of generating power in American Kenpo. It is defined as "your body weight moving in-line with your strike".

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 664 Posts

Try throwing a punch into a bag with your feet together and standing straight up.

Now try the same puch (reverse punch) from a neutral bow moving into a forward bow.

Feel the difference in power/force?

Your body mass is behind the the punch.
    "You can't account for everything, but you should account for the reasonably probable. Unfortunately for the unknowledgeable, those never ending 'what if's' will choke your thought process to death with useless information." - Doc

"To hold and fill to overflowing is not as good as to stop in time. Sharpen a knife-edge to its very sharpest, and the edge will not last long." – Loa Tzu

www.cromwellmartialarts.com
    www.BrianAselton.org
    www.hundredclubofct.org

Thanks

If I jump off the top turnbuckle and land with my elbow on a guy laying prone, am I using backup mass or marriage of gravity?

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Eastvale (Corona), CA; training out of Los Angeles
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside View Post
    If I jump off the top turnbuckle and land with my elbow on a guy laying prone, am I using backup mass or marriage of gravity?

Lamont
    Hahaha, I think that would be marriage of gravity at its finest!
    "Your kung fu's no good..."
    *Warrior, Scholar*

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoApprentice2k View Post
    what is back up mass?
    Per the Encyclopedia of Kenpo:
    Back-Up-Mass: The use of body weight that is directly behind the action that is taking place. As example, (1) a punch delivered when the elbow is directly behind the fist, or (2) the bracing of one finger directly behind the other other when delivering a two finger chop to the throat, etc.
    Back-Up-Mass is greatly enhanced when proper body alignment is achieved. Body alignement gets mass into proper perspective and allowes the body to take full advantage of channeling weight and energy while traveling in the same direction (DIRECTIONAL HARMONY)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Marriage of Gravity is Back-up Mass, on a downward vertical plane.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SifuDangeRuss View Post
    CC...I suspect you practice a very different form of grappling than I do. No judgment being passed here, but if you offer to roll around on the mats? I think I might hafta take a pass.

You're right to be afraid my friend....
    My finishing move, The Celtic Knot, is quite devastating.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    To be the man, you gotta beat the man....walk that aisle..... WOOOOOOOO... Space Mountain baby!......WOOOOOOO... Jet flyin', limosine ridin' son-of-a-gun...WOOOOOO...WOOOOO
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michaeledward View Post
    Marriage of Gravity is Back-up Mass, on a downward vertical plane.
    So why isn't it simply referred to as 'backup-mass'? it would save a lot of confusion.... just wondering out loud.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    So why isn't it simply referred to as 'backup-mass'? it would save a lot of confusion.... just wondering out loud.
    Probably for the simplified understanding. Some definitions of back-up mass include a subordinate clause, 'moving on a horizontal line'. I do not include that subordinate clause, because it is limiting to the definition.

When introducing power principles to new students; back-up mass is horizontal, marriage of gravity is downward, torque is rotational. It is easy to understand 'forward', 'downward', 'twist'.

But, with these definitions of power principles, we have no representation of power utilized on the diagonal. We also do not properly explain power used in an upward motion.

Of course, if you have another suggestion, you could explain your wondering here.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to michaeledward For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (07-26-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    Gravity only works in a single direction, due to the fact the Earth sucks.

Back-Up Mass may be used despite gravity in a myriad of directions.

When we employ Marriage with Gravity, we borrow from Mr. Newton's famed discovery involving the fact that apples don't fall up. We use the irrefutable fact that objects with a positive mass, tend to be drawn towards the earth's surface.

Unless you're dealing with a really, REALLY large opponent, who possesses their own specific gravity, odds are good that you won't find your weapons inextricably drawn towards them. *

Back-up mass uses another Law of Physics that states an object in motion tends to stay in motion until acted upon by an outside force.

If I stand on the balls of my feet and use only my the muscles of my arm to deliver a strike, it has only so much force.

If I lean out the window of my Millenium Prelude (Yes, it's the car that did the Kessel run in less than 4 parsecs!), and I deliver the same strike as I drive past you at 70 mph, you would understand the fundemental difference in the two principals.

*..Exception to the rule seems to be my foot towards most cups
    Last edited by SifuDangeRuss; 07-26-2007 at 06:33 PM.
    NEW and IMPROVED Non-Chunky Version!

[SIGPIC]http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo[/SIGPIC]

I only know enough, to understand how much I don't know

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SifuDangeRuss For This Useful Post:

thedan (07-28-2007)

sigung86 is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Wright City, Missouri, United States, 113653311978716, Wright City, Missouri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 729 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside View Post

Lamont
    Dis a trick question???? Yer usin' yer elbow.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Probably for the simplified understanding. Some definitions of back-up mass include a subordinate clause, 'moving on a horizontal line'. I do not include that subordinate clause, because it is limiting to the definition.

When introducing power principles to new students; back-up mass is horizontal, marriage of gravity is downward, torque is rotational. It is easy to understand 'forward', 'downward', 'twist'.

But, with these definitions of power principles, we have no representation of power utilized on the diagonal. We also do not properly explain power used in an upward motion.

Of course, if you have another suggestion, you could explain your wondering here.

You Sir are correct,
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Thanks

i feel like being a smartass today. so i pose a similar question to build off this one. what good is backup mass, without bracing angles? :-p what's the difference, are they one in the same? or just similar and complimentary (as most are) principles
    Brian Sheets
    VKKSI Kenpo 1st Black

Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it." ~ Unknown
    "Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting, but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madeku View Post
    i feel like being a smartass today. so i pose a similar question to build off this one. what good is backup mass, without bracing angles? :-p what's the difference, are they one in the same? or just similar and complimentary (as most are) principles
    In the spirit of being a smartass, I will point out that a bullet, fired from a gun, has zero bracing angle.

You ask 'what good is backup mass without bracing angle', I believe that bullets have been shown to be 'good' in the area of destroying the object impacted.

I think that one can also find a thought experiment where bracing angle exists without backup mass; .... structure, with no velocity. If we imagined this structure as kenpo practitioner in a good forward bow stance with rear hand thrusting punch extended to the (imaginary) point of impact; one could stand, with his face touching that fist all day, and observe no damage. Until momentum is introduced, bracing angle will have no impact value.

So, I think we can agree that backup mass and bracing angle are not, one, in the same.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to michaeledward For This Useful Post:

HKphooey (07-27-2007),KenpoChanger (07-31-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 664 Posts

In the spirit of being a smartass, I will point out that a bullet, fired from a gun, has zero bracing angle.

You ask 'what good is backup mass without bracing angle', I believe that bullets have been shown to be 'good' in the area of destroying the object impacted.

I think that one can also find a thought experiment where bracing angle exists without backup mass; .... structure, with no velocity. If we imagined this structure as kenpo practitioner in a good forward bow stance with rear hand thrusting punch extended to the (imaginary) point of impact; one could stand, with his face touching that fist all day, and observe no damage. Until momentum is introduced, bracing angle will have no impact value.

So, I think we can agree that backup mass and bracing angle are not, one, in the same.
    The gun is braced against one should or held in ones hand....
    "You can't account for everything, but you should account for the reasonably probable. Unfortunately for the unknowledgeable, those never ending 'what if's' will choke your thought process to death with useless information." - Doc

"To hold and fill to overflowing is not as good as to stop in time. Sharpen a knife-edge to its very sharpest, and the edge will not last long." – Loa Tzu

www.cromwellmartialarts.com
    www.BrianAselton.org
    www.hundredclubofct.org

Thanks

Some principles can work effectively by themselves, while one's maneuvers can be greatly improved by using several principles in tandem with each other.

Thanks

take a front punch from a person in a neutral bow..

punch 1. the fist moves first, then the body. the elbow is outward..
    in my understanding this punch has momentum, but no backup mass because of the lack of bracing angle.

punch 2. same as 1, but the elbow is downard
    punch has bracing angle, and thus backup mass.
    Brian Sheets
    VKKSI Kenpo 1st Black

Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it." ~ Unknown
    "Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting, but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SifuDangeRuss View Post
    Gravity only works in a single direction, due to the fact the Earth sucks.

well that just depends on your point of view

Back-Up Mass may be used despite gravity in a myriad of directions.

which is precisely why I asked the question in the first place - if backup mass works in multiple directions, not just 'horizontally', but vertically / anything else as well, why not refer to all of them as backup mass? Because that's exactly what M.O.G is on a vertical plane, according to michaeledward. B.U.M (as it shall henceforth be known) encompasses the term M.O.G. Would it not be simpler to describe the major power principle in kenpo (B.U.M) as simply "align and direct your body behind the strike in whatever direction you happen to be going?"

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

but I would argue that it is simpler to have one term, not two or three. (not saying this is the right thing to do mind...)

not arguing with you here, but how much of this is true because it is what you are familiar with? If you were coming to this with a fresh mind, would you have found an all-encompassing 'backup mass' term easier to deal with?

I don't have a better suggestion, I was really just thinking aloud that 'backup mass' could apply to striking in all directions (up/down/forward/diagonal), not just on the horizontal plane as it appears to be used at present. I'm probably way off base, just thought I'd throw it out there for discussion...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links