Thread: The Knee Check:

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Default The Knee Check:

WOW!!
    I can't believe how important the Knee Check is.
    I know it's always been a part of many techniques and we are taught to use it, but....
    I never paid too much attention to executing it properly.

As usual, I have to pay closer attention to EVERY part of a each technique and listen to EVERY word my Sensei says.
    We are told, but do we listen??
    What have I learned from this???

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: The Knee Check:

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo-Sloth
    WOW!!
    I know it's always been a part of many techniques and we are taught to use it, but....

As usual, I have to pay closer attention to EVERY part of a each technique and listen to EVERY word my Sensei says.
    As kenpoist we fight "dimentionally" all the time, just because the upper body is moving it does not mean that the lower body is not engaged. I think knee checks, buckles, etc are all a way of fighting Hieght, Width, and Depth nothing can kill someones depth better then a well placed knee check in my opinion!

Think of your "simple" foot manuevers or drilling them up and down a floor. A step-through fwd, switches, wide kneel, close kneel, all have extremely useful buckling, breaking, checking applications within techniques even if they are not explicitly written in the textbook technique. Simply playing with your range and amount of adhesion can change a good stance into a devastating knee strike almost immediately canceling depth.

Good subject!
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: The Knee Check:

Brian brings up a very good point. If one examines the Infinite Insights closely, he/she will see that as Mr. parker broke everything down into categories, there is an entire section on Foot Maneuvers, which is broken down even further. Remember, to dominate an opponent, it is important to control at least two of the three dimensions, controlling all three is the ideal.
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Brian and Seig both bring up good points!!!

I totally agree, Sloth, that more people should pay good close attention to applying the knee-checks AND buckles as often as they can. Useful motion uptop is all that much more effective when combined with simultaneous useful action below.
    Besides, working on good "Knee-work" is a fine way to fine tune your stances and footwork!! Often times if you can't place the knee in there well enough it's becuase you didn't execute your footwork or aquire your stance correctly. It could be seen as a 'check's and balance' thing for your legs/feet/hips.

If everyone worked for a while on applying more or better knee checks or buckles whereever and whenever they can... we'd see more Kenpoists with better stance/foot-work!!

Good topic!

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brother John
    If everyone worked for a while on applying more or better knee checks or buckles whereever and whenever they can... we'd see more Kenpoists with better stance/foot-work!!
    For those who "get by" without good foot-work, you will one day be face with a double-jointed uke (probably for a belt test!!), but that's a whole nother thread.
    What have I learned from this???

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

I was practicing a tech and "accidently" got a good knee check in there. After that I really worked on my knee checks a bunch, now I have to be careful not to check to hard Great stuff
    This is how I wear my Kenpo suit. Still trying to learn how to put it on and it's a little wrinkled, but it is starting to feel pretty good on me.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

The importance of knee-checks was impressed upon me early in my training. My instructor at that time was very fond of giving you a little "motivational tap" if you forgot to include a knee-check in your techniques.

Of course now, as a black belt, if I happen to forget I get a little more than a "tap" (once was enough). My instructors are very fond of the "to feel is to believe" idea.
    The test: "Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so, and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul?" ~ Col. Rex Applegate

Matt K.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 909 Posts

I first thought that knee checks were simply used to keep you opponent from using their legs. But, when applying in practice what I had learned, I eventually found that they can be useful strikes or even as buckles themselves!

After that I became so fascinated with the aspects of footwork and positioning and how it can drastically affect what your upper body is doing that I wrote my Black Belt Thesis on it! =)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo-Sloth
    For those who "get by" without good foot-work, you will one day be face with a double-jointed uke (probably for a belt test!!), but that's a whole nother thread.

GHAA!!!!!! I had a girl in my class who was like super flexy girl of double-jointed DOOM!!!!

not kidding.. her arms, at the elbow, could bend backwards to about 30 degrees... it was so incredibly wrong... I could never do a good arm bar on her cause it freaked me out.

BTW she was really cute and incredibly cool... but that was just too wonky for me.

Thanks

checking the lower body is a great offensive tool.
    in kosho, just about everything we do is based on the opponent throwing a secondary strike. the first thing we do is escape or evade and then set the opponent up.
    checking the ankle or knee causes some interesting things to happen when your opoonent attempts a secondary motion......it essentially creates a movement lock that makes their natural recovery motion almost impossible.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,559 Times in 2,171 Posts

Bump. When watching his hands, don't forget he also has legs.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

I think of Thundering Hammers when I think of exercising the principles of checking the legs. Block, strike, strike, strike, with front leg check, rear close kneel check, front wide kneel check, rear wide kneel check. I've been taught the technique with a focus on the leg checks and I've been taught the technique without any attention to them. Ideally executed with nothing more than the initial block, this is a devastating technique on the attackers right leg using the checks alone.
    Last edited by DRANKIN; 05-23-2011 at 01:32 PM.
    Basics, the rest is bullshytery.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRANKIN For This Useful Post:

jdinca (05-23-2011),MarkC (05-23-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DRANKIN View Post
    I think of Thundering Hammers when I think of exercising the principles of checking the legs. Block, strike, strike, strike, with front leg check, rear close kneel check, front wide kneel check, rear wide kneel check. I've been taught the technique with a focus on the leg checks and I've been taught the technique without any attention to them. Ideally executed with nothing more than the initial block, this is a devastating technique on the attackers right leg using the checks alone.
    That's an interesting perspective. When thinking about stance work in the first half of Thundering Hammers, I'm thinking more of the protection aspect of the broken bow, as opposed to attacking his legs with the checks. Gonna have to play with that one. Thank you.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jdinca For This Useful Post:

DRANKIN (05-23-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrBunny View Post
    GHAA!!!!!! I had a girl in my class who was like super flexy girl of double-jointed DOOM!!!!

not kidding.. her arms, at the elbow, could bend backwards to about 30 degrees... it was so incredibly wrong... I could never do a good arm bar on her cause it freaked me out.

BTW she was really cute and incredibly cool... but that was just too wonky for me.
    Let me get this straight...she's really cute, incredibly cool AND double jointed? Where exactly is the problem?...
    "If a person prefers to do something another way, and he is happy with his results, no one can tell him he's wrong" Ed Parker, as quoted by Doc

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stone_dragone For This Useful Post:

jdinca (05-24-2011),punkmonkey (05-24-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbonz View Post
    checking the lower body is a great offensive tool.
    in kosho, just about everything we do is based on the opponent throwing a secondary strike. the first thing we do is escape or evade and then set the opponent up.
    checking the ankle or knee causes some interesting things to happen when your opoonent attempts a secondary motion......it essentially creates a movement lock that makes their natural recovery motion almost impossible.
    I was so stoked when I started kenpo and found out about the prominence that knee-checks/knee-destructions have in the art. I had already earned a black belt in a goju ryu/shotokan blend and had been teaching about using stances as weapons instead of just platforms for attack for a while.

I should've just started in kenpo to begin with....
    "If a person prefers to do something another way, and he is happy with his results, no one can tell him he's wrong" Ed Parker, as quoted by Doc

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo-Sloth View Post
    WOW!!

Did'ja almost get kicked in the nuts?
    The above is just my opinion.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,924 Times in 2,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dianhsuhe View Post
    Did'ja almost get kicked in the nuts?
    As far as my nuts are concerned, "almost" is about as bad as right on target.
    "To be, rather than to seem"

"Fix your rear foot ... What the hell is wrong with you?"

"...I already watched the videos, and quite frankly, they're bullsh*t."

21. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkC For This Useful Post:

jdinca (05-24-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,274 Posts

Jdinca is a modern day Necromancer, Necroposting all kinds of interesting things lol.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckyKBoxer For This Useful Post:

jdinca (05-24-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyKBoxer View Post
    Jdinca is a modern day Necromancer, Necroposting all kinds of interesting things lol.
    Necromancy is a little known Moderator skill. It's not easy slogging through pages of threads to find something that may be relevant again with a different group of players.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links