Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Gi

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Black Gi

What is the meaning behind the wearing of a black gi?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"Excuses are tools used by the incompetent to build monuments of nothing and bridges that lead to no where. Those who excel in excuses seldomly succeed in anything."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Default Re: Black Gi

It represents an instructor. However many wear it in tournys to hide the dirt from a strike or kick during sparring.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

amylong (07-18-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,139 Times in 1,484 Posts

What a black gi represents depends largely on the school. In some schools, only an instructor, or at least a higher level student, is allowed to wear it. In other schools, everyone wears it, from white belts on up.

I have heard that traditionally in Japan, it was symbolic and indicative of the practice of a war art/killing art, vs. a sporting art.

Ultimately, at least in the Western Culture, it really just represents some choices and esthetic decisions made by the school owner and teacher. It doesn't have one single meaning that is true in all cases. Some people just prefer the color.
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

5. The Following User Says Thank You to flying crane For This Useful Post:

Celtic_Crippler (07-16-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Blood stains don't show up as bad.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flying crane View Post

I have heard that traditionally in Japan, it was symbolic and indicative of the practice of a war art/killing art, vs. a sporting art.
    Al Tracy mentions that on his website too, but sadly he doesn't quote any historical sources. What is the history behind that? What arts were "white gi arts" and which were "black gi arts" ? I didn't hear of any such distinction when I was in Japan so I'm curious to the story.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Kaur View Post
    Al Tracy mentions that on his website too, but sadly he doesn't quote any historical sources. What is the history behind that? What arts were "white gi arts" and which were "black gi arts" ? I didn't hear of any such distinction when I was in Japan so I'm curious to the story.
    White symbolizes "purity." Black represents "death" or "bruising."

There are some places in Japan where they won't let you in the door if you're wearing a "black gi" because it must mean you're a mean old nasty street fighter.

I also remember reading an interview with Chuck Norris from the 70's some time where he stated something like, "..yeah, I try to stay away from the guys in the black gi's...they're ruthless..." and then he continued by saying, "..especially the ones with the beards..." though I have no idea what that was supposesd to mean.

I had some "data" saved before my last PC went ka-put. I'll see if I can dig it up again.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

Anoise (07-17-2007),Mikael151 (07-16-2007)

Thanks

I have also seen this on Al Tracy's website.

This was told to me by my instructor, Ted Sumner, a senior instructor under Al Tracy. He said that at one time a group of karateka were visiting from Japan and came to Ted's school to train (I don't know what the event was, or why they were there, I wasn't part of Ted's group at that time). They were upset by the fact that Ted and his students were wearing black gis, and were hesitant to train with them. This problem was brought to Ted's attention, and he explained to the visiting sensei that they wear the black gis to simply acknowledge that our art is a serious war/killing art, and not a sport, and they keep that in mind when training. He further explained that it did NOT mean that they meant any antagonism toward their Japanese guests, nor that they intended any injury to them in training. This explanation was satisfactory for the Japanese, and they were able to have a good training session.
    Michael

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flying crane For This Useful Post:

Carol (07-17-2007),gakusei (07-17-2007)

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flying crane View Post
    I have also seen this on Al Tracy's website.

This was told to me by my instructor, Ted Sumner, a senior instructor under Al Tracy. He said that at one time a group of karateka were visiting from Japan and came to Ted's school to train (I don't know what the event was, or why they were there, I wasn't part of Ted's group at that time). They were upset by the fact that Ted and his students were wearing black gis, and were hesitant to train with them. This problem was brought to Ted's attention, and he explained to the visiting sensei that they wear the black gis to simply acknowledge that our art is a serious war/killing art, and not a sport, and they keep that in mind when training. He further explained that it did NOT mean that they meant any antagonism toward their Japanese guests, nor that they intended any injury to them in training. This explanation was satisfactory for the Japanese, and they were able to have a good training session.
    Ahhhhhhh! NOW I understand it a lot better.

Thanks very much. I figured there must be more to the story but these kinds of things can be hard to look up.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Carol For This Useful Post:

flying crane (07-16-2007)

Thanks

Ahhhhhhh! NOW I understand it a lot better.

Thanks very much. I figured there must be more to the story but these kinds of things can be hard to look up.

You're welcome. It is interesting to hear these stories from the guys who were there. Some of these issues are difficult to pin down, sort of elusive and such, so I guess we gather our understanding mainly from anecdotes and stories, so long as the storytellers are trustworthy.
    Michael

Thanks

I think most American Kenpo schools have their students wear white gi's until they are green belts.
    As far as the black gi, I'm going to guess that it was a way of creating an identity for American Kenpo as opposed to other arts who wear white.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael151 View Post
    I think most American Kenpo schools have their students wear white gi's until they are green belts.
    As far as the black gi, I'm going to guess that it was a way of creating an identity for American Kenpo as opposed to other arts who wear white.
    The kajukenbo guys were wearing black before the kenpo guys were, the old school kaju guys talk about how kenpo copied them on the mainland.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Blindside For This Useful Post:

Mikael151 (07-17-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside View Post
    The kajukenbo guys were wearing black before the kenpo guys were, the old school kaju guys talk about how kenpo copied them on the mainland.

Lamont
    What came first the chicken or the egg?

The Black key was designed to be worn by instructors in Mr. Parkers Kenpo. This information is what both Mr.and Mrs.Parker shared with me and others.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    What came first the chicken or the egg?

The Black key was designed to be worn by instructors in Mr. Parkers Kenpo. This information is what both Mr.and Mrs.Parker shared with me and others.
    The black gi was worn by both Mitose and Chow (see Infinite Insights I), and is documented in use by the kajukenbo guys in Hawaii while Mr. Parker was still a student, or prior, I've got a picture of a 1947 kajukenbo school where the mixture is about half and half black and white gis.

Lamont

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

Thanks

The black gi was worn by both Mitose and Chow (see Infinite Insights I), and is documented in use by the kajukenbo guys in Hawaii while Mr. Parker was still a student, or prior, I've got a picture of a 1947 kajukenbo school where the mixture is about half and half black and white gis.

Lamont
    I would treasure such a photo, you are very lucky
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I think it is also of note that both Tokiado and Shureido have only relatively recently added black gis to their lines as they both would not compromise their integrity by doing so.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]When in doubt, go for the groin.

Thanks

I've also seen older photos of Japanese Iado guys practicing, wearing black gis under their hakama, so it's definitely been an established practice among various groups for some time.
    Michael

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    Blood stains don't show up as bad.
    I wear blood stains proudly on my white gi! Better when it's someone else's.
    *giggle*

Thanks

Lamont
    Whoops, that should have said 1957, it was sometime prior to Joe Emperados death in '58.

Take a look at the top picture on this page, again sometime prior to '58.
    www.rosaleskarate.org/kajukenbo-history.htm

And the one on the bottom of this page, apparently 1955ish:
    www.cha3kenpo.com/photo%20album.htm

Still lots of white, but it looks like the instructors are wearing black, just as Professor Chow did.

Lamont

~William Drummond

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Blindside For This Useful Post:

Celtic_Crippler (07-17-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post

I also remember reading an interview with Chuck Norris from the 70's some time where he stated something like, "..yeah, I try to stay away from the guys in the black gi's...they're ruthless..." and then he continued by saying, "..especially the ones with the beards..." though I have no idea what that was supposesd to mean.

I have it on good authority from Chuck himself that...."...Good guys wear black..."

NEW and IMPROVED Non-Chunky Version!

[SIGPIC]http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo[/SIGPIC]

I only know enough, to understand how much I don't know

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SifuDangeRuss View Post
    I have it on good authority from Chuck himself that...."...Good guys wear black..."

Yeah, but only because he let's them. lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links