Thread: What is kenpo?

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Question What is kenpo?

Now I've read the American Kenpo Karate is not really karate. It's just that Ed Parker called it that so people could identify with it when looking for a MA school. So which is it? Is kenpo, karate, kung fu or something else all it's own. To me, it resembles kung fu a great deal, but more applicable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"Excuses are tools used by the incompetent to build monuments of nothing and bridges that lead to no where. Those who excel in excuses seldomly succeed in anything."

kit
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: What is kenpo?

In 1968 I was still calling it, Chinese Kenpo Karate. Then came Chinese Kenpo. Now it seems it's just Kenpo.
    Kung fu has so many styles, sets of reactive movements really. The term Kung fu can't be applied to any one style, Praying mantis, Shan Tung BLack Tiger, white Crane, North and South style, and on and on, all kung fu right. One translation has Kung fu meaning proficient, I could be proficient at washing my car. Why couldn't I be Kung fu at Kenpo. Because it's Karate??? Again, one translation has karate meaning empty hand, well that certainly takes in Kenpo. Or is that Chinese Kenpo, or Chinese Kenpo Karate. What's in a name anyway? Confused yet? Practiced by the right person Kenpo, by defination, is both karate and Kung fu. If Ed Parker attached the term Karate to Kenpo for promotion, and remember Ed Parker was one hell of a good promoter, he was no doubt mindful that the term might stick, so I have to believe that Kenpo is Karate, perhaps not in the sence of Shotokan which seems to have come into the world first but in a loser sense.
    If Ed Parker called it Kenpo Karate I guess his is the final world.

Kit

kit
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

In 1968 I was still calling it, Chinese Kenpo Karate. Then came Chinese Kenpo. Now it seems it's just Kenpo.
    Kung fu has so many styles, sets of reactive movements really. The term Kung fu can't be applied to any one style, Praying mantis, Shan Tung BLack Tiger, white Crane, North and South style, and on and on, all kung fu right. One translation has Kung fu meaning proficient, I could be proficient at washing my car. Why couldn't I be Kung fu at Kenpo. Because it's Karate??? Again, one translation has karate meaning empty hand, well that certainly takes in Kenpo. Or is that Chinese Kenpo, or Chinese Kenpo Karate. What's in a name anyway? Confused yet? Practiced by the right person Kenpo, by defination, is both karate and Kung fu. If Ed Parker attached the term Karate to Kenpo for promotion, and remember Ed Parker was one hell of a good promoter, he was no doubt mindful that the term might stick, so I have to believe that Kenpo is Karate, perhaps not in the sence of Shotokan which seems to have come into the world first but in a different sense.
    If Ed Parker called it Kenpo Karate I guess his is the final world.

Kit

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Kenpo is it own art, it is neither Karate or Kung Fu.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Broad For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (07-16-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    Kenpo is it own art, it is neither Karate or Kung Fu.
    It's the law of the fist!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    It's the law of the fist!
    Define that.

Thanks

American Kenpo is a language, to define and explain martial motion.. its not oriental in language.. movements are generally a hammering, thrusting, or whipping motion. you have principles, some obvious ones if you think about them would be being torque, counter torque, marriage with/of gravity, opposing forces (think of ripping a rag in half, without the rag), orbits, bracing angles, etc... i think there's at least 23 concepts and principles in stepping back and doing a hammering inward block?!

American Kenpo as a system, is a true mixed martial art. it involves the linear striking and blocking (in our system they're the same thing) and kicking of karate, the fluid circular movements and parries of kung fu, some locks from chin na and jujitsu styles. its ideas and concepts are based of bio mechanics and physics. its designed to continually evolve and refine itself, based off of what society demands.

i think its a great 'base' art if you chose to study other styles later on, because of how well rounded it is. as well as giving you a language to describe motion, we're a "self defense" oriented art.. as in before things degenerate into a fight.. where two people are fully aware and in red alert. as opposed to fighting arts like Boxing, or Muay Thai.. or kata/forms arts like Tai Chi. even tho we have much of both, the main focus seems to overall be Techniques.

our techniques aren't designed to be "you must use this technique for this attack", its designed to teach you to be extemporanious in your movement. to the point you take a punch out of this technique, a block out of here, a lock here. its like learning your ABCs and then forming words, then phrases.. then taking those words after you learn the context how to make phrases, and making intelligent sentances on your own..

American Kenpo is very much like music, or a language (yes i know music is a language).. there's so many things you can do, within the structured rules..

hope this helps you out
    Brian Sheets
    VKKSI Kenpo 1st Black

Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it." ~ Unknown
    "Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting, but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links