Thread: Why a 'technique'?

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Why a 'technique'?

I just wanted to pose a question...perhaps not specific to being a beginner, but something that beginner's might ponder as well.

I see a lot of threads here asking "What technique would you use when...?".

I guess I'm curious why you would 'force' yourself to use a technique at all, in any given circumstance? I'm an ex-street kid, ex-military...ex- alot of things I guess. I've been in more fights and stupid situations than I like to admit. And I don't know if I've ever used a set technique intentionally. I know that I've used PARTS of varioius techniques...but then grafted/branched into other techniques or just did what was needed to do. Most of the time, I don't THINK in techniques...I see what openings present themselves, and use whatever tools are needed to deal with the situation. The movements I use MAY be a technique I've learned, or part of one...or they may well just be what's suited to the moment. It's still kenpo, the 'style' or the movement patterns, or whatever you want to call it...it's still the same basics, pieced together in a 'make sense' pattern.

Do others here THINK about a technique when they're defending themselves? Or do the simply use the tools and weapons accordingly when the situation arises? I know that you "train like you fight, so you fight like you train", and agree with that...but isn't sparring/freestyling intended to teach you that spontenaity(SP) that you SHOULD use when you have to defend yourself?

I'm really interested in everyone's opinion.

Humbly your brother in kenpo...

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kenpo-Owl For This Useful Post:

Brother John (07-06-2007),John Brewer (07-06-2007),Takai (07-06-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Default Re: Why a 'technique'?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo-Owl View Post
    I just wanted to pose a question...perhaps not specific to being a beginner, but something that beginner's might ponder as well.

I guess I'm curious why you would 'force' yourself to use a technique at all, in any given circumstance?

Do others here THINK about a technique when they're defending themselves? Or do the simply use the tools and weapons accordingly when the situation arises?
    You bring up a VERY good point!
    I don't think that we should think in terms of "what tech would you do". We do have techs that address certain 'circumstances', but really.....when the Poo hits the fan...I think along the same lines that you do.
    The "Techniques" of our systems are training tools, to familiarize ourselves with these different circumstances so that we have LOTS of options and LOTS of vocabulary of motion in order to give the best response to fit the particular circumstances we find ourselves in at the time.

To sit and think "What tech do I do now?" during a fight will end up with the Kenpoist having LOST....period. end of story.

Good topic, I can't wait to see what others say.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

Well I have to admit it's been a while since I've had to defend myself but here's my 2 cents. When I began in Kenpo about 3 years ago I found myself evaluating circumstances with "which tech would i use". Now I'm a little further along and find myself trying to apply principles. How would I cancel his width or height? Where would that put him then? Are there environmental hazards? Does he have friends with him? Good Topic!

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brother John View Post
    You bring up a VERY good point!
    I don't think that we should think in terms of "what tech would you do". We do have techs that address certain 'circumstances', but really.....when the Poo hits the fan...I think along the same lines that you do.
    The "Techniques" of our systems are training tools, to familiarize ourselves with these different circumstances so that we have LOTS of options and LOTS of vocabulary of motion in order to give the best response to fit the particular circumstances we find ourselves in at the time.

To sit and think "What tech do I do now?" during a fight will end up with the Kenpoist having LOST....period. end of story.

Good topic, I can't wait to see what others say.

Your Brother
    John
    Agree. Learning techniques is a great way to gain an understanding of how to effectively use the weapons available to you in a fight. But that's where it ends. The problem with a fight is that things never happen the way you want. You can't think "if he does this, then I do that" because it will never happen, and you'll get mauled.
    All difficult things have their origin in that which is easy, and great things in that which is small. - Lao Tzu

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tiktok86 For This Useful Post:

Brother John (07-06-2007)

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I have to agree with Brother John and Crane557. If you continually think only in the terms of what technique then you lose the ability to adapt. If you can learn to think and apply the principles. Then you have gained the ability to work and deal with an evolving situation.
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 612 Posts

I find it easier and more adaptive to think of technique based self-defense systems (such as Kenpo and Hapkido) as learning a series of "snapshots" of body position. This in fact makes the grafting/blending and borrowing/flow of an actual encounter much easier to accomplish.

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bdparsons For This Useful Post:

amylong (07-06-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Nothing is absolute. If in street situation a technique is executed verbatum then the person was proabably a completely inexperienced fighter and you will more than likely end up explaining to a judge what the heck you were thinking (Dance of Death). Keeping in mind there are techniques which fall below the line of leathal force.
    The only time I ever used my kenpo was at a bar one night, in a niehborhood I probably should have not been in. I did exactly what I was taught by my instructor, and it worked brilliantly: I talked my way out of it.
    I agree in a real life situation I would have to rely on my instincts rather than think about what technique I'm going to use on this guy.

Ummm... I'll use Mace of Aggresion on this... WHAM! Nighty Night Mr. Martial Artist

Blue Belt
    A.K.K.I.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bdparsons View Post
    I find it easier and more adaptive to think of technique based self-defense systems (such as Kenpo and Hapkido) as learning a series of "snapshots" of body position. This in fact makes the grafting/blending and borrowing/flow of an actual encounter much easier to accomplish.

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute

I agree with Bill. I have never been in a street fight, but my concept is that I have practiced so many techniques, that when my body is in a certain position relative to my opponent's, then my body already knows where to go and what to do and when the opponent 'attacks me wrong' or reacts strangely, then my body is in a different position relative to my opponent.

But again, I've practiced so many techniques, that the position shouldn't be new and I just do part of whatever technique I have done a million times from that position.....until I'm in a new position or until the fight is done.

So after having done enough techniques, enough times, it becomes reactionary.

But you have to learn the techniques first to train your body how to react.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo-Owl View Post

I guess I'm curious why you would 'force' yourself to use a technique at all, in any given circumstance? I'm an ex-street kid, ex-military...ex- alot of things I guess. I've been in more fights and stupid situations than I like to admit. And I don't know if I've ever used a set technique intentionally. I know that I've used PARTS of varioius techniques...but then grafted/branched into other techniques or just did what was needed to do. Most of the time, I don't THINK in techniques...I see what openings present themselves, and use whatever tools are needed to deal with the situation. The movements I use MAY be a technique I've learned, or part of one...or they may well just be what's suited to the moment. It's still kenpo, the 'style' or the movement patterns, or whatever you want to call it...it's still the same basics, pieced together in a 'make sense' pattern.

Do others here THINK about a technique when they're defending themselves? Or do the simply use the tools and weapons accordingly when the situation arises? I know that you "train like you fight, so you fight like you train", and agree with that...but isn't sparring/freestyling intended to teach you that spontenaity(SP) that you SHOULD use when you have to defend yourself?

I'm really interested in everyone's opinion.

Humbly your brother in kenpo...
    "technique means you are using minor move to build to a major move. Its the most logical thing to do and that is why you might consider doing it in a fight.
    Sean

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Amy-

I COMPLETELY agree on learning the techniques first. Don't take me wrong...this is how you learn kenpo. I saw a comparative once on how learning martial arts is like learning a language. Basics (stances, strikes, blocks) are words. Techniques are sentences/phrases. Forms are paragraphs/essays.

You learn the words first. Then you learn sentences/phrases. These are the very beginnings of learning the language, and form the true basis for your ability to manipulate and use that language.

In kenpo, you learn the basics first. Then the techniques teach you how to use those basics in orders and methods that make sense and accomplish your goals.

Eventually, you master the "language" well enough to form your OWN sentences, paragraphs, etc... You don't create anything new...you just learn to use the language as your own.

Learning to modify techniques or apply the basics in techniques that still make sense and are still "kenpo", but they're what YOU tailored to use for the exact situation is what I'm talking about here.

I hope I'm making some semblence of sense...LOL!

But the bottom line is learning the techniques first...to learn KENPO as a system first...is on track. And then 'making kenpo your own' by applying those PRINCIPLES that you learned through the techniques when you're faced with a real life situation, rather than attempting to perform a technique 'by rote' because that's how you learned it...that would be the end result I'd think.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenpo-Owl For This Useful Post:

universalsomething (07-06-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bdparsons View Post
    Yes, sir. position recognition and technique flow.

You could also just hit him.

Dan c
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Strive for spontaneity...there will be time to think about what you did once the fight is done.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links