Thread: stretching

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Talking stretching

someone told me awhile ago he took karate i think in new york, and they made him do splits and stretched his legs apart "ouch" so he can get flexiable, can anyone relate to this? does that really take place?
    It does not matter where the Martial art comes from. if it can help you defend yourself it is worth learning( Bruce Lee ) May the Force Be With You

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: stretching

I don't think it's wise to over exert yourself by any means. Streching is important to prevent injury and loosen up the tendons. But don't hurt yourself in the process.

Blue Belt
    A.K.K.I.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Eastvale (Corona), CA; training out of Los Angeles
    Thanks

I think strecthing is great, it definitely can't hurt (unless you stretch too hard and too fast). Greater flexibility increases your range of motion and helps to prevent injuries, if you do it right.
    "Your kung fu's no good..."
    *Warrior, Scholar*

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

What you described is very likely, ESPECIALLY if the school he went to was a tae kwan do based one.

The advice on being careful on how you stretch is right on. DO NOT OVER DO IT.

It's an easy mistake for a lot of beginners...especially younger ones. Us old fogies have usually learned to pace ourselves...hehehe.

The trick is to stretch yourself more and more...OVER TIME. Don't bounce in and out of a stretch either. Start by moving to the point where it becomes uncomfortable, and holding that place for 5-10 seconds. Then relax for at least the same length of time, and go back to it again. On each repitition, push yourself just a little more, but do NOT go until it becomes painful. Repeat this 3-4 times per stretching excersise.

Over a period of time (several days/weeks/months) you'll find yourself able to deeper and deeper into the stretch, and your flexibility will be tremendously better.

Don't expect it to be that way tomorrow, however.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kenpo-Owl For This Useful Post:

amylong (06-28-2007),Latinvipers (06-23-2007)

kit
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quick Rules on stretching:
    1. Don't stretch cold
    2. Don't hold a stretch, the muscle has something called tonis and will lock up.
    3. Stretch for your age

Kit

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kit For This Useful Post:

Lifespath (06-28-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo-Owl View Post
    What you described is very likely, ESPECIALLY if the school he went to was a tae kwan do based one.

The advice on being careful on how you stretch is right on. DO NOT OVER DO IT.

It's an easy mistake for a lot of beginners...especially younger ones. Us old fogies have usually learned to pace ourselves...hehehe.

The trick is to stretch yourself more and more...OVER TIME. Don't bounce in and out of a stretch either. Start by moving to the point where it becomes uncomfortable, and holding that place for 5-10 seconds. Then relax for at least the same length of time, and go back to it again. On each repitition, push yourself just a little more, but do NOT go until it becomes painful. Repeat this 3-4 times per stretching excersise.

Over a period of time (several days/weeks/months) you'll find yourself able to deeper and deeper into the stretch, and your flexibility will be tremendously better.

Don't expect it to be that way tomorrow, however.
    thanks i'll give it a try
    It does not matter where the Martial art comes from. if it can help you defend yourself it is worth learning( Bruce Lee ) May the Force Be With You

kit
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Ouch, sounds like old school to me. 30 years ago I had a judo/TKD instructor who liked to put students through stretching hell at the beginning of class.
    First never stretch before workout unless you've done something to warm up the muscles first.

Kit

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

I have found Yoga to be a real bonus in helping my flexibility when it comes to Martial Arts, it helps you to breath whilst you are stretching which is very important, and also the importance of correct posture. So many people in Martial Arts take very little notice to the imoprtance of the stretch.

Never over stretch and if you feel yourself shaking whilst you are stretch ease off as this is your muscle saying its not quite ready to stretch that far yet.

Good luck.

Mark

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

There are several threads about stretching on the site already. Here are few of them that might be helpful to all of those in this conversation. In the future for such a common/popular topic you might want to do a search before starting a new topic.

http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/searc...earchid=150562

Basics - Warmups

Stretching
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Broad For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (06-30-2007)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links