Thread: Developing the heart and head to fight

kit
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Developing the heart and head to fight

So, you're learning technique and Kata, drilling until you can do them in your sleep. It flows and you find this new expression of your physical self feels really good. But in the back of your head, in your heart of hearts you're not sure, just can't picture yourself pounding an attacker into submission.
    WHAT DO YOU DO?
    Develope the light switch effect; Light and easy day to day, smile. Quick to laugh at the tough times.
    FLIP THE SWITCH, if and when you're forced to use your kenpo you transform into a tough minded martial artist. Start this change (this is called programing) in the dojo. The minute training begins the switch is flipped and you're all business.
    In this way as you build the physical, timing, focus, balance you will also be build the mindset to use it.

Amatsu Tatara

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kit For This Useful Post:

Brother John (06-21-2007),Devildogmrk (10-27-2007),Dianhsuhe (11-01-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (06-21-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Default Re: Developing the heart and head to fight

A diver must get into the water, a sky diver must step out of that plane.
    A fighter at some point will have to fight to validate within themself if their training can stand the test. ( Im not endorsing going out to look for a fight).
    Many train a lifetime and never get attacked. I hope you are one of those.
    When you flip the switch, you will see the explosiveness of Kenpo. Its eletronic detenation. Train hard, gain the knowledge, skill, and wisdom.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

toejoe2k (10-26-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Awsome topic... This is something I have been concered about, being a colored belt. So if you "flip the switch" in class then you should react equally on the street?

Blue Belt
    A.K.K.I.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by universalsomething View Post
    Awsome topic... This is something I have been concered about, being a colored belt. So if you "flip the switch" in class then you should react equally on the street?
    Just remember not to forget to turn the light out when you leave the room
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

jjpregler (10-27-2007)

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    Just remember not to forget to turn the light out when you leave the room
    LOL

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Wink Re: Developing the heart and head to fight

I have been in some real fights and stavedof robbers at my home "the fight or flight" response is tuff and strong,but coming down from the major adrenilin rush, or the light switch is hard. Breath daniel-san

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by universalsomething View Post

You can't really "flip the switch" in a class. You can train realistically and push yourself hard in the studio. But that IMHO is NOT the same as being in a real fight. I believe that fighting is about 50% conditioning, 40% intent, and 10% ability. You have to be strong enough to fight, and have the true INTENT of damaging someone if it should come to that. I don't think that you can truly learn INTENT in a Dojo. It is a mindset that you have to be WILLING to KILL someone if that is the only way to ensure you or your family's safety. Unless you are willing to KILL or inflict grievous bodily injury in the Dojo you aren't really "flipping the switch"

Just my .02

Sam
    Last edited by still nobody; 10-27-2007 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Grammar
    Why is abbreviate such a long word?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

I had to use it once about 20 years ago. I was at a party with my friends and off in a corner I see a group of 4 of them 1 girl and 3 guys. All drunk. The biggest of the men was pulling at her shirt over her head and trying to pull it off of her. She was pulling back and saying no. So I walked over and got between them, pulled her out of the corner and grabbed her shirt and gave it to her.

Sop now the big guy is pissed at me for taking away his fun, and he starts coming at me. I back away from him telling him that what he was doing was wrong and he needed to calm down. He came toward me again. then it happened, I do not remember even thinking about it. I sidekicked him right in the sternum as he raised his arm. I don't even know if he was going to punch, I just saw his arm move and I kicked. I caught him right in that sweet spot that knocked the wind out of him and dropped him to his knee gasping for air, then I got in a fighting stance and looked at the other two, whoi thankfully were backing off, because it was now that I was thinking about being outnumbered and fear started setting in. But before he got up I was able to get her and me out of the house and toward my car.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jjpregler For This Useful Post:

John Brewer (11-13-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Smile Re: Developing the heart and head to fight

I think about the "turning the switch on" situation all the time. As a Marine I know I have the ability to turn the switch on. But I do wonder whether I could turn it off as quickly as I can turn on. My fear is that I would turn it on and then would not want to turn it off once the danger is clear.
    Devil Dog Mark
    Hawaiian Kempo & Okinawan Kubudo

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Devildogmrk For This Useful Post:

John Brewer (11-13-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

It's good for students to be concerned about their ability to be able to do the right thing in a self-defense situation. This keeps a student/instructor humble and hungry for knowledge...

A few things I've learned:
    Distance is time...time for you to look for an escape route, if you haven't already. Because no one wins in a fight, you only survive.

Don't forget to breath. Practice your breathing when doing katas and self-defense techniques. Make sure you're not holding your breath and looking all constipated and so forth.

Don't think that you can hit so hard your opponent(s) are going to go down. Because a lot of opponents out there can take a lot of punishment. Position yourself where you can hit them, but they can't hit you.

Saying "I'm sorry" is not a sign of weakness.

There's many others, but it's been a long time since I've gotten into any kind of fight...and I'm perfectly fine with that...

Be safe out there....
    Humility is not thinking less of yourself. It's thinking of yourself, less.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FGarza For This Useful Post:

Celtic_Crippler (11-01-2007),John Brewer (11-13-2007),still nobody (11-01-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by will chan View Post
    ..."the fight or flight" response is tuff and strong,but coming down from the major adrenilin rush, or the light switch is hard. Breath daniel-san
    How specifically do you want them to breath?

If they breath shallow and fast, the dump gets worse, not better.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Just beware of the "Red Mist".......can lead to a lot of jail time!!
    " To be tried by twelve....Than carried by six ....better it is "

We are what we repeatedly do, excellence is therefore not an act....but a habit !
    Aristotle

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

I think its pretty simple. Know what it is you'd hurt, maim, and kill other human beings for. Most get a little indecisive when pondering "self" defense, so put it in terms of that which is most dear to you. For most, what I call a person's "peace" is what we should consider at stake in a violent altercation. That peace may be you, your spouse, your children, the defenseless, the innocent, or (if you're a US soldier), the nation. Indicentally, you getting hurt maimed or killed also has an impact on your capacity to serve those in your circles of life - you can't provide for your family if you're tied up in the hospital. So even self defense isn't just "self" defense.

We should rationalize the need to hurt, maim, and kill based on our own personal beliefs - moral, ethical, and spiritual. Those reasons are no one else's business, really, unless you elect to share them. Trying to be "tough" wears thin and is unsubstantiated in the long run. Treating kenpo as a martial endeavor (martial = war, war = kill) allows us to bring it home to a personal level, no different than keeping a gun in the nightstand.

Short of it is, when we know why to engage, the rest (kenpo) is all physical details. Threaten a man's family and you've probably got problems on your hands. When a person has his reasons for hurting, maiming, and killing in place clearly in his mind, he has the capacity to engage mentally because its a fundamental part of the primal human, an instinct to protect one's very existence and secure one's peace.

So, in my opinion this is a mindset we should practice getting to (rapidly). If you think you can't do it imagine someone you love in mortal danger at the hand of another human. The mindset will come of its own volition because its there as an instinctive animal response. Its discovery, realization, self awareness, and conditioning that brings this to the forefront.

Great (and I mean great) topic.

cheers,

Steven Brown
    UKF

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bujuts For This Useful Post:

John Brewer (11-13-2007),still nobody (11-17-2007)

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

Has anyone ever ridden on an airplane? They tell you if you have a child with you and the oxygen masks deploy put YOUR mask on FIRST! Why? Because if you are unconscious or God forbid dead you cannot help ANYONE. If you do not react quickly and with authority to a violent situation there is a chance you will not be able to help your family or anyone else. I am not condoning violence without a cause. In this day and age I cannot take the chance that an attacker is not willing to kill me or mine.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links