Thread: getting over the fear of getting hit

kit
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default getting over the fear of getting hit

Back in the day (about 1962) when there was no safety kick, at least at my tournaments, I was getting hit a lot, I mean a lot. I was developing an underlying fear. If I saw an opening wham my point (man was I fast at that age). But if my opponent was a pile driver I back peddled right out of the ring. "One more warning and you lose a point!"
    I've long forgotten who told me..."when a bomb goes off there is no sense of action. The same when getting hit, it happens so fast that there is no sense of the action, wham, it's over. Later there might be pain or tenderness where you were hit but was there injury? More often then not no."
    I guess the point is, don't focus on the bomb.

Amatsu Tatara

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: getting over the fear of getting hit

I couldn't agree with you more. When one has what is known as intent pain is but second nature. Rather than one being afraid of being hit or run down by an opponent they should be focused on the attacker with the intent of doing whatever it takes to get the job done. Building upon intent will enable you to handle yourself whether it is in the ring or street. Fear of being hit is part of human nature, but with proper training and intent anything can be accomplished. Osu!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kit View Post
    Back in the day (about 1962) when there was no safety kick, at least at my tournaments, I was getting hit a lot, I mean a lot. I was developing an underlying fear. If I saw an opening wham my point (man was I fast at that age). But if my opponent was a pile driver I back peddled right out of the ring. "One more warning and you lose a point!"
    I've long forgotten who told me..."when a bomb goes off there is no sense of action. The same when getting hit, it happens so fast that there is no sense of the action, wham, it's over. Later there might be pain or tenderness where you were hit but was there injury? More often then not no."
    I guess the point is, don't focus on the bomb.
    Safety gear has been a God send, has it not?

I remember back when Jhoon Rhee developed it, and us macho guys refused to use it.

But those who were a bit smarter noticed that student retention was better when the fear and pain were lessoned.

Foam rubber instead of bare knuckles hitting your teeth.

It does make a real difference.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    ps. 1962 hunnn? I was still doing my Kano Judo and my Okazaki Jujitsu back then. Some real fond memories.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kajuryu1 View Post
    I couldn't agree with you more. When one has what is known as intent pain is but second nature. Rather than one being afraid of being hit or run down by an opponent they should be focused on the attacker with the intent of doing whatever it takes to get the job done. Building upon intent will enable you to handle yourself whether it is in the ring or street. Fear of being hit is part of human nature, but with proper training and intent anything can be accomplished. Osu!
    Once fear and pain is lessened with proper equipment, then the proper technologies of "attack" are more easily practiced.

If a minor Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is the main psychological anchor, then "attack" cannot be learned.

Once you know that you are...

1. safe
    2. and can control what happens to you

Then methods of attacking them are fairly easily learned.

Sometimes the PTSD is NOT simple but major.

Then more needs to be done first.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

5. The Following User Says Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

nelson (06-21-2007)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links