Thread: Homemade training gear

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Homemade training gear

Several years ago Black Belt Mag put out a series of articles on how to make several training items at home (wing chun pvc dummy was one). Does anyone have any ideas or items they've made to save $$? I'm thinking about using one of my old seabags as a punching bag.

Thanks

Default Re: Homemade training gear

Quote Originally Posted by MooseKenpo View Post
    Several years ago Black Belt Mag put out a series of articles on how to make several training items at home (wing chun pvc dummy was one). Does anyone have any ideas or items they've made to save $$? I'm thinking about using one of my old seabags as a punching bag.
    dojo at home?
    post #15

I used to make most of my own training equipment. I've used old seabags (duffle bags, for the lesser services) before, as well. But a heavy/punching bag is one item I'd recomend you spring the bucks for and buy. However, you should get real creative when you hang it!

http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/showt...843#post51843]
    post #21

I don't know about the article in BB Mag, but I have used PVC for a lot of home made equipment. You have to be careful, as it breaks easily. If you do use it, it is worth the trouble to order schedule 80 pipe and fittings. More durable. I use some steel and some pvc in my dummies, but you have to be careful with design as the pvc is highly stressed under impact loading where it connects to steel. Shock mounting and reinforcing helps, but plan to repair the equipment regularly.

Oh, that seabag? It shouldn't be wasted. Go ahead and stuff it, and add a little weight. It can be used for strength and flexability conditioning. Swing it and throw it around. Pick it up and hold it in variouse positions as you contort your body into/through variouse postures. Strap iyt to a post and strike it, kick it, body slam it, ...

I always say that immagination is the limmit when making your own.

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

My favorite?
    Find a sturdy tree limb at a hight that suits you.
    Fill a "Sand-bag" (the type that are made of a rubber/inner-tube type material). Buy some decent rope and hang the bag over the limb (after you've filled it with water or sand...etc.

Makes for a fun afternoon of striking.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Talking Re: Homemade training gear

Homemade training gear, Well I use my brother as my punching bag if that counts.. lol
    "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else, YOU are the one who gets burned."
    Buddha.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks
    Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,427 Posts

I often duct-tape layers of foam padding around my head before sparring. I'm not sure it helps soften the blows any, but the humor value is almost worth the pain of tearing the tape off of my scalp and face.

D.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave in da house View Post
    I often duct-tape layers of foam padding around my head before sparring. I'm not sure it helps soften the blows any, but the humor value is almost worth the pain of tearing the tape off of my scalp and face.

D.

Now that I have to see....

Thanks

iv always used 2 and 3 ltr bottles as punchign bags/targets.. as well as hand conditioning.. i mean a 2ltr bottle filled with water feels abotu the weight of a human head i guess. and water gives, and pushes back.

you can also use them as cheap weights

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I have made several things and have modified some training devises.

Made different padded weapons such as escrima sticks, swords and Bo's. Took a heavy bag that had split and made it into a grappling/pound bag. Took a old wavemaster drilled some holes in the upper shaft (were the bag use to be) slide some 6' long & 2" dia. poles through it and used it as a escrima sparring partner.

I had some XXL wavemasters that broke and sent them back to be replaced. Well Century just wants the vinyl covering. So I took that and have beef up some head protection. Put some on a BOB bag so we can do low level kicks while punching the head. I have plenty more foam that I may try to make a kick shield and a padded body suit.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Moose,
    Go to www.karateconnection.com for MA dummy plans. you can always add arms by clamping on heavy aluminum wire across the back of the shoulders before you wrap and duct tape on all the carpet. The wire will bend and stay in most any position.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

you can check out what i came up with on the photo gallery at MT. made both the striking post and dummy for less than $50.

http://www.martialtalk.com/gallery/index.php?cat=12949

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Actually, this is something i have a bit of experiance with lol, me and my trainning partner just simply refused to buy stuff we new we could make and get by with , that and i guess a bit of the creativity from the days of smoking pot still hangs around haha, I have made focus mits out of life jacket padding and regular work gloves/duct tape, just put your hand in the one glove and start wrapping works like a champ.

My personal favorite and i swear to you we just moved and i brought it with me , i love it, get a umbrella stand the old school concrete kind or any source of good wieght, a regular stick of pvc cut to the hieght you want, stick in the center make -shift some pads for the head abs and knee cap also securing with good ole duct tape and start punching and kicking baby, this guy hits back lol i love it, its great for training your puncehs because it moves alot more realisticly than a heavy bag and you have to get very very quick and good at timming in order to land even a simple 1/2.
    "Mighty power like steel is our Kata and heritage which require a long time of practice and training. It is what men are seeking, just only for their self-respect and self-defense."
    MASTER MEITOKU YAGI

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

That works.

Have a bunch of cheap duck tape handy and use it before you start hitting the filled bag.

DOC JOHN
    Ps. equip is so cheap that buying the bag holder and the heavy bag is about $150 bucks. In my opinion, still the better way to go.

Thanks

One of my favorite "hitting targets" back in the 60's through the 80's was a 1/2 inch sheet of plywood that was nailed up to two 2X4 that were put up vertically on the way.

That way when the plywood was struck it did have some "give" to it so you wouldn't break knuckles by striking it.

A couple of hundred a day with each hand was very fun to do.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Thanks

We take old telephone books and sew a canvas bag around them.

Then we hit them while the uke holds them.

A very solid striking surface, similar to the "feel" of hitting a real human.

For the more tender uke, have them place a small foam pad behind the power-board so that the shock does not travel through a vital organ.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    Ps. I did like sapper's photos of his home training equipment. That shows some dedication.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John M. La Tourrette View Post
    One of my favorite "hitting targets" back in the 60's through the 80's was a 1/2 inch sheet of plywood that was nailed up to two 2X4 that were put up vertically on the way.

That way when the plywood was struck it did have some "give" to it so you wouldn't break knuckles by striking it.

A couple of hundred a day with each hand was very fun to do.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    I'd forgotten about this.

So today I got a sheet of old plywood...

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links