Thread: Newbie Gear - What do I need and when do I need it?

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,160 Times in 1,156 Posts

Default Newbie Gear - What do I need and when do I need it?

"Ok, I have the fancy pajamas, but what else do I need?"

Starting out can seem overwelming to the new student of the arts. All these different uniforms, weapons and training gear can be intimidating.

What training gear would you recommend, and what would you recommend a new student avoid?
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

Thanks

Default Re: Newbie Gear - What do I need and when do I need it?

Get a groin cup if youre a male!!

If your school does sparring, make sure you get a helmet, gloves, mouthpiece.

If you can afford it, go to the sporting goods store and get some wrestling shoes to use just for the mats. It'll keep your feet from getting dirty

Most schools start out with a lightweight gi. If they want more than 20$ for it, that's too much. However, if you intend to stay for some time, invest in a heavier weighted gi. It'll take a good beating, offer protection for when you work with a partner...plus it sounds coooler when someone does their rhythmatic timing on you
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

This is a great question and could really be expanded upon.

When a school starts sparring is going to vary greatly, I start my people out after about six weeks, long enough to teach them some basics. Sometimes, I start them out earlier.

Some suggestions:
    Groin protection, whether you are male or female. Here the males have it easier, unless your instructor has a good package deal, you can get a cup at Wal-Mart for about $6.00. Females aren't as lucky, but most of the martial arts suppliers do have female groin protection. Panty and Protection

Mouth pieces- You should get a mouth piece right away to get it formed and get used to wearing it. A mouthpiece will affect your breathing. Again, unless your instructor has a good package deal or you want a specialized one, you can get a basic sports mouthpiece at wal-mart for $0.99.

Chest Protection- This will vary from school to school. I do not require them but do suggest that females, especially those that are well endowed look into them. One suggestion or another or here or more protection and a good variety of selections can be found at one of our sponsor's websites, here

Head Gear- This will vary from school to school, but remember that head gear is not designed for full contact and is only useful when worn.

Hand Gear- I prefer the TC2000 Claw from Tiger Claw. I find they tend to hold up well and are comfortable. I have been dealing with Tiger Claw since 1997 and like this particular hand gear. I believe it to be one of their best products.

Foot Gear- I have been on a quest for decent foot gear for years. It seems everything tears or comes apart quickly. Finally, I have found a product that holds up well, but it is a little more expensive. I weigh the initial cost versus replacing my foot gear three or four times a year. Check out these

Shin Guards- Shin guards are a matter of choice, most supply houses will carry one version or another.

Hope this helps and gives you some ideas.....
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Newbie Gear - What do I need and when do I need it?

Quote Originally Posted by Seig
    Some suggestions
    Great info & links, Sir!
    The truly educated never graduate.
    "To understand the heart & mind of a person, look not at what they have already achieved, but what they aspire to do." -Kahlil Gibran

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I know what you mean about the search for better foot gear. That stuff just doesn't last.

I think the most valuable piece of equipment in my bag is my binder and pen. I make notes after classes, things I need to work on, things that I want to remember, and then I review those notes at home, then again before the next class. This comes in especially handy when attending a seminar, I've often thought about carrying a note pad out onto the mats with me.

A couple lesser items that I've found to keep handy.

Sports tape... that stuff is a life saver. I keep a full role in my bag at all times, because inevitably I jam a toe or finger.

Tylenol and Ibuprophen, I have bad knees and ankles, so I keep that close at hand.

If you have the dipped foam sparring gear super glue is a must have. Be careful with it, but super glue is the best thing to repair tears with. The super glue reacts with the foam and melts it back together. Keep an eye on your gear, repair it before it gets too bad and it will last much longer.
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,160 Times in 1,156 Posts

How about some Vics vapor rub? Stuffs got a nice whiff to it (clears the cobwebs) and can work as a cheap muscle-rub.
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Newbie Gear - What do I need and when do I need it?

I also take a notepad & pen to classes/seminars, as well as Tiger Balm (for my knees).
    Quote Originally Posted by dubljay
    If you have the dipped foam sparring gear super glue is a must have. Be careful with it, but super glue is the best thing to repair tears with. The super glue reacts with the foam and melts it back together. Keep an eye on your gear, repair it before it gets too bad and it will last much longer.
    Thanks for the tip about super glue--will try it!
    "To understand the heart & mind of a person, look not at what they have already achieved, but what they aspire to do." -Kahlil Gibran

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gin-Gin2
    Thanks for the tip about super glue--will try it!
    Like I said though just be careful with it. The reaction will get a bit warm and smoke a bit but don't worry. Be sure to keep superglue away from any gi's (usually light weight gi's) that are part synthetic material (aka polyester) because it will melt that too. Also don't glue yourself to your gear... I had a friend do that at a tournament
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Talking Re: Newbie Gear - What do I need and when do I need it?

Quote Originally Posted by dubljay
    Also don't glue yourself to your gear... I had a friend do that at a tournament

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

CUP & accompanying supporter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

clothing.......
    This is all that's really "NEEDED"...but if you're wantin to have LOTS O' fun....
    mouth piece, Gi, maybe some athletic shoes if you like working out outdoors like I do.
    Punching bag, focus mits, training weapons...

MUSIC!! Love training to Rock & Metal !!!!!!!!
    sparring gear and the duct tape it will take to keep that going.
    Tiger balm.

Ibuprofin.

Those nifty re-usable ice compresses.

That's what I can think of for now.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Another great thread for our newer members.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 909 Posts

If you're male...buy a cup. Did I mention that you need a cup? Oh yeah... get a cup ASAP! And by the way....BUY A CUP!!! But, before you do any of that...buy a cup.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Where's Jimbo he should read this thread, especially the part about a cup.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,556 Times in 2,168 Posts

Get a cup.

Headgear, may need one with a face mask on it, depending on your system.

A cup.

Mouthguard.

Cup.

Gloves. Sparring and bag gloves.

Did I mention to get a cup?

Mat shoes, foot or shin guards, etc.

You may want your own chest protector, depending on what your school has available, or what type of sparring you do, etc.

Guys (and girls), if you haven't got the point yet, get a cup. It only takes once without it to teach you the error of your ways. Just remember, there's no crying/puking on the mat.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Shouls I be wearing a cup? LOL

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links