Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Started Training? Tips for Newbies.

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,160 Times in 1,156 Posts

Default Just Started Training? Tips for Newbies.

What advice would you give to the student just starting out, or returning after a long layoff?
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Just Started Training? Tips for Newbies.

Work with senior students when given a chance. When asked to pair up they often avoid seniors; but, you get better by working with better people. Everyone get a chance to work with everyone else but sempai shouldn't be standing around waiting for a partner.

Thanks

Be patient and practice frequently. It's ok to make mistakes, that's how you learn. Try to correct those mistakes the next time around.

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Thanks

I agree on getting the new person working with an advanced student...but I also think afterwards, switch to someone of equal rank so that they can "figure out and remember" together. Ive had a lot of good discussions taht way...makes the poor brain think
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

As with anything don't expect to be perfect. Push you're self to do the most you can, but don't beat yourself up either. Time is your friend when it comes to learning the complexity that kenpo has to offer.
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

Thanks

Remember that as you go along, what first seemed simple and easy can easily become more complex as you begin to understand what it is youre REALLY doing.
    Susan A. Spann

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Enjoy yourself. IF not....why do it.

Relax. Tension is a self defeating, self perpetuating cycle....so don't start it.

STAY AT IT. Perseverence lies at the heart of success.

Make training a daily habit, even if you can only do some here and some there.....keep at it, do what you can.

Find models of excellence and learn from everyone! Find elements in the way others execute the art and study it, discern their alignments and timing... especially if that person has a great deal of experience in Kenpo.

Apply your mind to your art, but not above the level to which you apply your body. Kenpo is principally something you "Do", theory, concept, principles, analysis......etc etc are great, but only so much as they further your ABILITY to DO Kenpo!

There's more, but this is a good foundation I think.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Tips for newbies?

Read all the posts on this message board,
    then come back next year and read them again.

Come back the year after that and read them again.

Same words, different meanings...........

What have I learned from this???

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

I would say be patient, and go at your own pace. Concentrate on only your progression, not any one elses, we all learn at different speeds.

Keep in mind "slow to learn, slow to forget"
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Also, don't be afraid to ask for extra help from someone.

Its ok to have forgotten something...its ok to not "get" it right away. If you see someone doing something different, its ok to ask about it
    Susan A. Spann

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

The most common mistake I have seen people make is that as they learn new material, they forget the old. Don't do that. Things are taught in order for a reason, once you learn something new, try to apply it to something old.
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seig
    The most common mistake I have seen people make is that as they learn new material, they forget the old. Don't do that. Things are taught in order for a reason, once you learn something new, try to apply it to something old.
    I have to say, your advice, as usual, rocks.

I tell this to my students all of the time.

Nicely stated.

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Thanks

Hmmm...

Ask lots of questions first off! Also, When you learn something new (dove-tailing the above advice) practice it as many times as you can after class, the next day etc. even if you are just abbreviating the movements- This way the next time you get to class you will not need to re-memorize the movements. And you can work on refining them instead-

I do not really mind re-teaching the same techniques to someone the next class but in order to advance and improve, the student MUST practice on there own. Even visualization makes a HUGE difference- I always run through the techniques I learn in my head right after class (driving home) which seems to help.

Most importantly, enjoy your training! The system I am in is like a 2nd family and my best friends are folks I have met through training...

Take care and train hard!

James
    The above is just my opinion.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Excellent advice.
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Being a newbie myself, I've adopted a new saying...
    "No mistakes, only research"
    Combining that with my old saying "adapt and overcome" has helped me be more comfortable with training and learning.
    "Second chances they don't never matter, people never change
    Once a whore you're nothing more i'm sorry that'll never change
    And about forgiveness, we're both supposed to have exchanged
    I'm sorry honey, but i'm passing up, now look this way...*" --Paramore "Misery Business"

(*this is where a punch would be landed)

Thanks

Basics. When first starting, or in my case restarting, learn to love practicing basics. In kenpo, one of the biggest failings is to start looking forward to all those 'really cool' techniques and rush our basics. Remember that those techniques are just there to teach us to properly apply our basics. Don't let the practice of basics get boring. If you can't love it for what it is, find a way to spice it up. But get a good foundation, and remember that you will always be comeing back to practice basics. With any discipline you study or practice, if you are having problems in application, you can almost always trace it back to basics.

Thanks

As a newbie myself, only eight months in Kenpo the advice posted here hits real close to home. I have to admit I donít practice every waking moment but I do try and squeeze in a few min here and there. I also do have a tendency to compete with the rest of my class. I am in phase one ( first year of training) I am nearing the end of this phase and as such I feel that if I do not pass the belt tests as they come up I will be left behind. I am however working on not comparing myself to the rest of the class.

Another thing I seem to wrestle with in doing my techs I may start out doing Obstructing the storm for instance then as the last move instead of just executing a front knee to the face I may add the inward-overhead elbow from Defying the storm then cover out. I seem to add parts of a few techs and it makes me wonder if this is going to hurt my training down the road. I donít mean to deviate from the way the tech is supposed to be done itís just that in doing them as fast as I can I end up adding a few extra strikes then covering out.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,791 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 2004hemi
    As a newbie myself, only eight months in Kenpo the advice posted here hits real close to home. I have to admit I donít practice every waking moment but I do try and squeeze in a few min here and there. I also do have a tendency to compete with the rest of my class. I am in phase one ( first year of training) I am nearing the end of this phase and as such I feel that if I do not pass the belt tests as they come up I will be left behind. I am however working on not comparing myself to the rest of the class.

Another thing I seem to wrestle with in doing my techs I may start out doing Obstructing the storm for instance then as the last move instead of just executing a front knee to the face I may add the inward-overhead elbow from Defying the storm then cover out. I seem to add parts of a few techs and it makes me wonder if this is going to hurt my training down the road. I donít mean to deviate from the way the tech is supposed to be done itís just that in doing them as fast as I can I end up adding a few extra strikes then covering out.
    I'm the King of downward elbows but I wouldn't force over-head elbows, in place of something quicker and more true to point of origin. I reluctantly agree with sticking to the base tech, because the next sequence of motion is generaly the closest weapon to the closest target. When a body backs up, consider kicking of the back leg before shuffling for the front kick. In other words consider moving from the position you are in before maneuvering to another just to fit a fave.
    Sean

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Many practioners, not just beginners get into a habit of utilizing the same thngs over and over, just watch a person spar several times and you will see what I mean. The easiest way to break your self of constantly working the same favorites into your techniques is to do your techniques very slowly over and over, this creates muscle memory. By practicing things slowly you will see holes in your technique, and catch yourself before you end up falling into the favorite action rut.

Just keep training, and having fun.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

My Ju-Jitsu sensei told me a story once when I was young and needed to hear this.

He sat me down after class and said, Cary, let me tell you a story.

Once long ago, there was a boy named Minimoto Musashi who's dad was getting old and Minimoto wanted his dad to be very proud of him. So Minimoto went to the sword master and asked the sword master if he could train him to be the greatest swordsman the world had ever known.

The master said... "Yes, I will train you."

Minimoto was so happy he said "Great, how long will it take until I am the greatest?"

The master looked at him and said "humm, 5 years."

Minimoto thought, humm dad is getting old... "How about if I train every day of the week... how long would it take then?"

The master looked at him and said "Hummm, 10 years."

Minimoto was confused and said "well, what if I clean your house and I work every day and train extra hours into the night? How long would it take then?" Sure that he has simply misheard the first estimate.

The master looked at him and said "Hummm, 15 years."

Minimoto was shocked and asked "But master... you said it would only be 5 years with normal training.. why would it be 15 will all the extra work?"

The master smiled softly and said "Because young Musashi... Those who are in a hurry to learn... learn slowly."

Ever since then, I learned to be patient, to take every part of training as a separate lesson, to take my time to learn it correctly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links