Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you watch Black Belts and say...

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Default Do you watch Black Belts and say...

"I want to do that"

or

"I want to move like that"?

What pushes you to improve, and keeps you interested in the art?

For me it's I want to move like that. I watch My instructor (I'm ranking student at teh dojo), I look more at how he moves...how low to the ground, how his body is a unit, the intent of his movements (when he does a form or shows technique in the air).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anoise For This Useful Post:

Brother John (04-17-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: Do you watch Black Belts and say...

I always watched Black Belts and tried to emulate the better ones, and learn what not to do from the weaker ones.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rob Broad For This Useful Post:

amylong (04-18-2007),Juggernaut (04-18-2007),KenpoJuJitsu3 (04-20-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,587 Times in 2,193 Posts

I'm more than happy to go to school on the BBs. I don't get to see them move very often but when I do, the thought that usually comes to mind is "wow". Knowing that they started the same place I did, a white belt trying to remember how to do an inward block, helps me realize that I can achieve that level also.

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Some of them...
    Keeps me on the straight and narrow...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,427 Posts

Naw. Black Belt is easy. I watch the greats and the legends, and want to move the way they do, with the same automaticity and depth of understanding.

D.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    I always watched Black Belts and tried to emulate the better ones, and learn what not to do from the weaker ones.
    At what point in your trainign coudl you tell the difference?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by execkenpo View Post
    Some things are nearly self-evident. I started when I was 6 yrs. old. The ownership of mastery was evident even then. Movement with authority, and the uke doesn't get to do anything the nage doesn't want them to.

I'm not a painter, but I can tell the difference between my mother's amateurish attempts and a Reuben's. I'm a lousy sculptor, but could tell the difference immdeiately between my clay seashell abstract, and Michelangelo's "David". I'm a pretty good guitarist and vocalist, but immediately know the difference between me and Freddie Mercury or Ingwe Malmstien.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

Thanks

I can count on one hand on what black belts I would like to move like. After talking to my instructor he event said that there is a big difference between black belts now and black belts in the past. And that the change has not been for the better.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate View Post
    I can count on one hand on what black belts I would like to move like. After talking to my instructor he event said that there is a big difference between black belts now and black belts in the past. And that the change has not been for the better.
    I'll second that. There has been a decline in the amount of hair, testosterone, and grit required to make grade. Kenpo has gotten about as bad as TKD in many cases...show up, pay your dues, and get promoted.

I hate it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

parkerkarate (04-17-2007)

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

Dr. Dave is right about one thing. Some of the Kenpo schools are getting about as bad as the Mc Dojo's. A friend of ours could not travel to take from us and he took from an EPAC school in his area. His Black Belt test consisted of about 35 minutes of Calesthetics and doing about six kata and a dozen tecniques. He didn't have to demonstrate his thesis Kata or write a thesis.
    The whole test was about 2 hrs and 2 people were testing.

When he visited us we asked if he should now be addressed as Sifu or Sensei and he said no,not here. Even though he had achieved a Black Belt he really had no Great pride in it, as he knew that the standards were not up to par. He did not want our people addressing him at instructor level. He always attended our class when in the area and was a good student when here. He was capable of being a good Black Belt with the right training. To bad this happened. But it is getting to be a familiar story. Wish he lived closer so we could help him more.

I am most respectfully,
    Sifuroy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anoise View Post
    "I want to do that"

or

"I want to move like that"?

What pushes you to improve, and keeps you interested in the art?

For me it's I want to move like that. I watch My instructor (I'm ranking student at teh dojo), I look more at how he moves...how low to the ground, how his body is a unit, the intent of his movements (when he does a form or shows technique in the air).
    I like how you think Anoise!

I have always done that. There was a guy in my dojang when I did Tae Kwan Do who had the most impressive ability with roundhouse and hook kicks. Spinning ones, leaping ones, shuffling ones, doubles....high, low...etc.
    His name was Jesse Pinkston. Good guy, fine black belt. I tried to emulate him in those things that he did well. There was another guy named Mark who was a great defensive fighter, I adopted his defensive postures that made it so hard to fight him. My friend Sean (hi Sean) was great at covering great distance rapidly, POPing you and then getting back out like a ghost. I tried to emulate him too; though not being nearly as tall as he is made it more difficult...but I tried.

I guess I'm like you. I've always looked to my superiors and found what I admired about them; physically and otherwise, and tried to emulate them in those ways. It's a fine way to make progress and keep inspired!

Keep up the good work Anoise.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Brother John For This Useful Post:

Anoise (04-20-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

I remember 20 years ago watching a Shorei Ryu tournament with a friend and thought those brown belts moved good... then the black belts hit the floor . Sad thing is those brown belts moved better than many dan ranked black I've seen today. I think there is a thing to be said about time in grade and a qualified teacher.

Anoise,
    I move a lot like my first teacher. I didn't realize this until some time later. Other than that I always find attributes that I like. The other day I watched Jamie Seabrooks long 6 video and that has made me rethink some things.

don (el paso)
    Daffy, fighting with his $1.25 quarter staff : "Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!" (quarter staff bounces off log, bending his beak. He straightens it back to normal, and starts speaking to himself) "Something's amiss here... hmm, let me run through it. Ho, haha, guard, turn, parry, dodge, spin, ha, thrust." (beak bends again) "Got it." (straightens beak, and starts his fighting moves again.) "Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin!"

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

One person I would like to be able to move like is Mr. Tatum... I have a few his DVD's and he is just awesome to watch. I too am extremely impressed at Mr. Seabrooks movements as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by execkenpo View Post

Coming from a gymnastic background I could see who moved fluidly, had power, and good technique even though I was kind fo young. I watched them the same way with the same criteria that i knew judges watched me when I qwas doing a floor routine, so I looked for balance, speed, power, control, endurance, fluidity, grace and confidence. Those that possessed those skill were the guys I tried to emulate. If a person understands what they are doing they move differently than a person who just knows the motions.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    One person I would like to be able to move like is Mr. Tatum... I have a few his DVD's and he is just awesome to watch. I too am extremely impressed at Mr. Seabrooks movements as well.
    Here is my list of people that I would like to move like:
    1. SGM Ed Parker
    2. Mr. Joe Palanzo in his prime
    3. Mr. Paul Mills
    4. Mr. Larry Tatum
    5. Mr. Tom Kely
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

20. The Following User Says Thank You to parkerkarate For This Useful Post:

Juggernaut (04-18-2007)

Thanks

I have been fortunate enough to have watched a lot of the great, and train with some. I have found that the person I want to be able to most like is ME. To do anything else would not be proper for my body and personality.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

When I was 11, I walked into the dojo and watched the black belts and said "I want to move like that".

30 years,100 lbs, and all the stress that the military can put on your body later ...I look at the 11 year olds and say "I want to move like that".

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kenpo-Owl For This Useful Post:

jdinca (04-20-2007),sumdumguy (08-28-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,587 Times in 2,193 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo-Owl View Post
    When I was 11, I walked into the dojo and watched the black belts and said "I want to move like that".

30 years,100 lbs, and all the stress that the military can put on your body later ...I look at the 11 year olds and say "I want to move like that".
    Said that myself a few times! Just remember, youth is wasted on the young...

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    I just saw Mr. Tatum move for the first time in a video my instructor gave me. WOW! Definitely someone I want to keep in mind as I practice.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    Coming from a gymnastic background I could see who moved fluidly, had power, and good technique even though I was kind fo young. I watched them the same way with the same criteria that i knew judges watched me when I qwas doing a floor routine, so I looked for balance, speed, power, control, endurance, fluidity, grace and confidence. Those that possessed those skill were the guys I tried to emulate. If a person understands what they are doing they move differently than a person who just knows the motions.
    THat's like the total mind/body connection. To be totally there 100% in your body moving. When someone can take certain movement and make it look easy, effortless.

I saw the same thing in dance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links