Thread: Point Sparring Tips

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Point Sparring Tips

Hey everyone!

This weekend I'll be competing in the Ontario Provincial Karate Championships in Hamilton hosted by Mr. Armie Rizzo. It's not a kenpo event (actually I expect I may just be the only kenpoist competing) so stylist differences may effect some things. Still, I'm confident my weapons and forms will be adequate to score high, but sparring has always been my weakest point. I've been practicing for a few weeks now, but I was just wondering if any of you would have some good tips for me leading up to the event.

It's stop point sparring, first to three points, no face contact. I'm in the blue and brown belt division, age 18-39 and under 165 lbs. I'm guessing that because the vast majority of people attending will be Goju-ryu and Shorin-ryu karate practitioners they may fight in a more linear style, but making that assumption might be dangerous. Can you tell I'm competitive? lol In any case, whatever insights you might have would be greatly appreciated! And any prayers as well!

God bless,
    -Jeff Schmidt
    I will fear no evil, for you are with me -Psalm 23:4

"Someday I'll say something worth quoting." -Jeff Schmidt

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: Point Sparring Tips

Expect a lot of competitors from the Douvris, Joslins, and Bernardo schools. Expect to be ignored, but if your forms are as good as you say you will be judged appropriately. If you feel you are about to get a bad judging job, look for Bill Pickles, Cesar Borkowski or Harold Howard and aske them to watch your division if they can.

As for sparring tips, just type in sparring in the search feature here on KenpoTalk you will find several threads that will be helpful.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

i know what you mean.. the next tournament i go into im pretty confident in my self defense, the weapons and forms im thinking should do alright.. but the sparring is my weak link too.. so i feel for you there..

forms? if you're the only kenpoist, i suggest you make your stances impossibly wide so you can barely move, scream at the top of your lungs.. and costrict the muscles in your arm when you punch.. that seems the only way to get noticed in some tournaments in forms/katas. :-p

what i plan on doing when it gets a lil closer to mine, sparring about as many ppl as i can. regardless of size, rank, gender, whatever. I might even go to other schools in the area to get a better feel of how different styles spar.. and just go one opponent right after the other.. to get the endurance up.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

That really does sound like the criteria they'll be looking for I used to do Goju-ryu so I can switch my mindset back a bit when I need to, even though it makes me laugh.

I competed in this same tournament last year, and I thought the judging was hit or miss. I came 3rd in my weapons kata division, which I thought was very fair. Only a few points separated me from the ones who beat me, and I thought I could have placed as high as 2nd or as low as 5th and really wouldn't have complained. I messed up in my kata, ended up coming last of the group, but it did give me the chance to see what kind of criteria they were watching for. Sparring was the part last year that really got me. I don't know who the guy was I was fighting, or who any of the judges were, but I landed at least 2 clean kicks that aparently none of them saw. Also I was hit in the face twice, despite the rules clearly saying that it was a no face contact tournament. The second time was the point that lost me the match, and it was excessive enough to dislocate my jaw. I had to settle for 4th place because I wasn't able to get back on the mat to face off for 3rd.

I know the odds are against me, but I'm going in with the attitude that if I do my best, I'll be able to live with whatever the result is. Obviously I'd love to clean up and come back to my club with lots of hardware to show off, but I know my brothers and sisters in the club will be proud of me no matter what.
    I will fear no evil, for you are with me -Psalm 23:4

"Someday I'll say something worth quoting." -Jeff Schmidt

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker of Knowledge View Post
    That really does sound like the criteria they'll be looking for I used to do Goju-ryu so I can switch my mindset back a bit when I need to, even though it makes me laugh.

----

The second time was the point that lost me the match, and it was excessive enough to dislocate my jaw. I had to settle for 4th place because I wasn't able to get back on the mat to face off for 3rd.

yeah unfortunatly.. at the last tournament i was at (capitol in arlington) there were a bunch of godzilla-ryu schools.. and i think the judge were partial to that (i was the last called out of 8 ppl ...

however they were very fair when it came to sparring i think.. that sucks about the guy dislocating your jaw and still getting away with it.. the guy that beat me at capitol got me with 3 kicks, nicely controlled, didnt feel them after like 5 min.. an orange belt like me.. maybe you'll get lucky like i did? lol

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker of Knowledge View Post
    Hey everyone!

This weekend I'll be competing in the Ontario Provincial Karate Championships in Hamilton hosted by Mr. Armie Rizzo. It's not a kenpo event (actually I expect I may just be the only kenpoist competing) so stylist differences may effect some things. Still, I'm confident my weapons and forms will be adequate to score high, but sparring has always been my weakest point. I've been practicing for a few weeks now, but I was just wondering if any of you would have some good tips for me leading up to the event.

It's stop point sparring, first to three points, no face contact. I'm in the blue and brown belt division, age 18-39 and under 165 lbs. I'm guessing that because the vast majority of people attending will be Goju-ryu and Shorin-ryu karate practitioners they may fight in a more linear style, but making that assumption might be dangerous. Can you tell I'm competitive? lol In any case, whatever insights you might have would be greatly appreciated! And any prayers as well!

God bless,
    -Jeff Schmidt
    How did you do? What did you learn?
    Last year at my first tournament I won by a loud aggressive yell before the fight...scared the poor girl. This year I had a real toughy...she was amazing. The match was only 2 minutes so I couldnt wait her out...she was hopping around like a boxer...but lose and when I made a more wham she got me.
    I'd love to hear how you did...I need to improve my point sparring as well.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links