Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40 and Crazy?

MeKataSuKata Guest

Default 40 and Crazy?

I am obviously being cynical in my subject but here is my dilema and what I am hoping to get by my post. I enrolled my 2 children and myself into an Okinawan Kenpo Karate class after my children expressed interest in joining and learning. I am 40 yrs old and as a child through 20 yrs of age I was very active and athletic. The years since have obviously taken a toll on me since I just had the lovely experience of starting my first class this week.

So, I am looking to hear if my experience and feelings are what others have felt and if I am normal or out of my mind

So as most classes go, we start by a brief meditation, then a stretching segment, then onto some basic movements, followed by some kicks, punches, and lastly some situational exercizes. Here is a summary of the class

Meditation: No problem, trying to relax, holding set position, easy!

Stretching: Starts out ok, legs don't bend far, toes wont cooperate, hips and pelvis go on vacation.

Kicks: It starts to go downhill fast. My heart rate is moving, I am sweating now, still cant turn ankles and hips as desired, then throw in some hand movements that go along with the kicks, things seem to get more confusing than understanding

Punches: Good, I can stand and not move to much except my upper torso, the Sweat is turning into a Rain Forest of precipitation, I know my heart is still working since I could see abd breathe, things seem ok again.

Situational exercises: Grab this, turn here, move legs there, etc. Only problem is I am grabbing wrong, turning wrong, not bending knees, and wiping the sweat from my eyes. ( Who said this was going to be easy)

The class ends with people coming up to me stating I am doing fine and will get a handle on this. I get dressed and get in my car and the whole time driving home I am thinking to myself, "What did I just do?" "what did they call that again?" "How do I pronounce that word"? and the list goes on.

I get home and do some chores and find myself falling asleep 2 -3 hours before I normally ever do.

So, even though I tried to take a comical approach to my experience and questions, I anxiously await reading replies on my post to see if everything I experienced is normal, will I get through this, and at what time or point will things start to make sense and I won't feel so overwhelmed or in pain (sore)?

Have fun with this one people!

Your Initiated Newbie!!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MeKataSuKata For This Useful Post:

jdinca (06-18-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: 40 and Crazy?

Sounds like your first week of class! congradulations you have now the ability to start your second week of class.

Seriously, it will get easier. The moves will come smoother, you'll sweat less and work more.

Thanks

Well, if it helps, I started when I was 39, and I'm 52 now and still training and hitting technique lines. But then, I hope to be saying more or less the same when I'm 80.

If you don't mind my saying, be careful about keeping up with the kids. You can't match their sheer athleticism and fitness and stupidity--which is good. As a friend of mine keeps telling me, "Old age and treachery beat youth and decency every time."

You've really just got the same problems as any martial arts beginner. You don't know the language, you haven't done this stuff before--so what, big deal. Your post reads like you're doing the right things.

Over time, though, whole new vistas of horror will open up. It's been my experience that the more you learn and the stronger you get, the more that more-advanced students will want to get their mitts on you--and the more you learn and get stonger, the MORE you'll sweat and the more fun you'll have.

So, congrats. The nice thing about getting older is that you realize that all you really have to do to improve is to keep going...

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Hey old man, you're not crazy!!
    I'm 40 and have been training for about a year and a half.
    I gasp for air during the beginning exercises,
    I stretch as best I can, but my muscles don't know what elasticity is,
    I usually pull something during kicking combinations,
    I practice techniques often because I forget easily....
    now what was I talking about, Oh yeah, now for the bad news:
    at what time or point will things start to make sense and I won't feel so overwhelmed or in pain (sore)?
    NEVER!!, however we do learn to handle being overwhelmed and when something starts to make sense we realize how little we really know (the more you learn, the less you know). Now about being sore and in pain, life gives us pain all the time, but where else but in the dojo are you encourged to give some back.
    Good Luck on your journey.
    This was just my opinion, and no animals were harmed during the making of it.
    What have I learned from this???

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

i,m 37 just two stents put in for clogged arteries 2 days ago and will be going to my first kenpo class in about 2 weeks. the only kenpo instructors in my area is tracys karate.anybody have any opinions on tracys?

Lee
    KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

You are far from crazy...I'm 37...in not too bad shape, but I get sore too after classes. I found that I am using muscles that my body is not used to, but as they say...bring the mind and the body will follow, eventually....keep going...it certainly can't get any worse, and your body will thank you for it in the end....

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I have taught everything from 5 year old super balls to 55 year old seasoned oak. I have seen some excellent advice here and really none that I completely disagree with. The first and foremost thing you need to learn is to listen to your bodies. While it is important to push your body to exceed previous limits, you cannot exceed them by too much all at once or you can and will do lasting damage to yourself. Remember, sore is good, outright pain not so good. One of the reasons commercial facilites insist so heavily on the belt system is to help the instructor remember who is where in what stage of development, kind of like a book mark for people. As you progress, things will get tougher, but generally not before you can handle your current level.
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seig For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (05-16-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (07-19-2007)

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

Sieg has some good advice. Don't try too much too soon. You will set yourself back. Strech a little more each time not all the way the first time
    If you go slowly your body will adjust. Too much and you will tear muscles.
    When you are doing kicking exercises first low then a little higher and so on. The same with all of the things you try. So it takes a little longer. If you tear or sprain something it will take a long time to heal and that will reaally set you back.. Take it easy And you will be able to stay with it.

I am Most Respectfully,
    sifuroy

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sifuroy For This Useful Post:

Billy Lear (02-17-2007),John M. La Tourrette (05-16-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,556 Times in 2,168 Posts

I started at 37, I'm 43 now and in the best shape of my life. I thought I was reasonably in shape when I started but boy, was I wrong! For several weeks, after a 1 hour workout, I was couchbound. Now I put in at least six hours a week and I'm finding that it's not enough.

Go with it. Let the process do it's thing. You're going to have a blast!

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

LOL. You sound like me 1-1/2 years ago. I'm 45 and I still drift back there occassionally even today. Whats the saying.........The pain you feel is the weakness leaving your body. Stay with it and in a couple years you will most likely believe you are in better shape than you were at many years younger.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I was 47 when I began (just a year ago now).

While I enjoy learning and do feel like I have improved physically through it

I have new pains in my hips that I never had before and that I am pretty sure will never go away.
    I have sore muscles now. When I was young the soreness went away after a few weeks. It never goes away now.
    My teacher told me I would enjoy stretching when I got used to it. I must not be used to it yet.
    I have to figure that I am nearing 50 now and, though I can be in better shape than I was before I began regular exercise, I am never going to be like I was when I was 20.

Oh Well

Thanks

No, you're totally crazy.

The rest of us (I'll be 40 in June) are all in tip top shape. I know that personally, I am not sleepy and tired everytime I workout. Nope. Not me.

I feel like a lazy slob when I don't workout and I am tired every day when I do.

I creak and pop, but my muscles are in pretty good shape.....as long as I don't take a break for even a week, in which case they lose all the shape and tone I worked for months to get.

Since I took six years off with no exercise to speak of, I'll take the sore and tired any day.

Keep up the good work.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amylong For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (05-16-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (07-19-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by amylong View Post
    No, you're totally crazy.

The rest of us (I'll be 40 in June) are all in tip top shape. I know that personally, I am not sleepy and tired everytime I workout. Nope. Not me.

I feel like a lazy slob when I don't workout and I am tired every day when I do.

I creak and pop, but my muscles are in pretty good shape.....as long as I don't take a break for even a week, in which case they lose all the shape and tone I worked for months to get.

Since I took six years off with no exercise to speak of, I'll take the sore and tired any day.

Keep up the good work.

--Amy
    Yep.
    The "used" doorstep does NOT rot.

Every other day training is great for most folks.

And for us trainers, take it easy, and only go all out when your bones are okay.

Burn out is an occupational hazard.
    Dr. John M. La Tourrette

18. The Following User Says Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (07-19-2007)

Buz
    KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Cool Re: 40 and Crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by MeKataSuKata View Post
    I am obviously being cynical in my subject but here is my dilema and what I am hoping to get by my post. I enrolled my 2 children and myself into an Okinawan Kenpo Karate class after my children expressed interest in joining and learning. I am 40 yrs old and as a child through 20 yrs of age I was very active and athletic. The years since have obviously taken a toll on me since I just had the lovely experience of starting my first class this week.

So, I am looking to hear if my experience and feelings are what others have felt and if I am normal or out of my mind

So as most classes go, we start by a brief meditation, then a stretching segment, then onto some basic movements, followed by some kicks, punches, and lastly some situational exercizes. Here is a summary of the class

Meditation: No problem, trying to relax, holding set position, easy!

Stretching: Starts out ok, legs don't bend far, toes wont cooperate, hips and pelvis go on vacation.

Kicks: It starts to go downhill fast. My heart rate is moving, I am sweating now, still cant turn ankles and hips as desired, then throw in some hand movements that go along with the kicks, things seem to get more confusing than understanding

Punches: Good, I can stand and not move to much except my upper torso, the Sweat is turning into a Rain Forest of precipitation, I know my heart is still working since I could see abd breathe, things seem ok again.

Situational exercises: Grab this, turn here, move legs there, etc. Only problem is I am grabbing wrong, turning wrong, not bending knees, and wiping the sweat from my eyes. ( Who said this was going to be easy)

The class ends with people coming up to me stating I am doing fine and will get a handle on this. I get dressed and get in my car and the whole time driving home I am thinking to myself, "What did I just do?" "what did they call that again?" "How do I pronounce that word"? and the list goes on.

I get home and do some chores and find myself falling asleep 2 -3 hours before I normally ever do.

So, even though I tried to take a comical approach to my experience and questions, I anxiously await reading replies on my post to see if everything I experienced is normal, will I get through this, and at what time or point will things start to make sense and I won't feel so overwhelmed or in pain (sore)?

Have fun with this one people!

Your Initiated Newbie!!!!

I'm a yellow belt, and have been taking it for 6 months, I am also 45 yesrs old.................... you will get the hang of it just give it some time!

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Hi I started when I was 51 and every time i move up into a new belt grouping I'm scared I'll get killed:-), but by the time I'm ready for the next grouping I'm over that feeling. I'm still not in the shape I'd like to be, but I just look at my personal improvment and not what the younger students can do. If nothing else Kenpo gives me a good mental workout remembering all the techniques and forms. I'm at a level where we are trying to make a lot of connections. It's fun but confusing. You'll do fine you spring chicken!!

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

MeKataSuKata,

I am in my early 40's and previously had rotator cuff injuries to BOTH shoulders. I too was extremely active in a lot of sports throughout high school and through college.

I took time off to heal up as much as possible per the Dr.'s orders and only am I now returning to the sporting arena. I have just begun taking Kenpo lessons. So far so good.

My thoughts to you, no you are not crazy, but listen to your body and do what YOU can do. Your experiences seem parallel to mine with some variations but you definitely identified with some of the "things" that I go through.

I have begun working out again on my own and running and with this I hope to bring my conditioning up so that my endurance increases for any sporting activity I might engage in.

Best of luck to you, it sounds like you are doing fine and your experiences are normal.

kit
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Great Topic!!!
    I am 55, been in kenpo for 40 years and am a retired Physical therapist. First things first, these are the facts. As you age you lose flexability, you can stretch until the cows come home and at 40 you'll never flex like a 20 or even thirty year old. Your cardio will improve, it just takes more work then the younger guys.
    The GOOD NEWS; your reflex can be developed to match that of an 18 year old clear up into your late 60s.
    Bottom line, to work shoulder to shoulder with those young people(anyone younger then you) will take lot more effort and a lot more time. Hang in thier you can do it.
    One other thought, beware the young sensei who thinks you should function at the same pace as everyone else.

Kit

23. The Following User Says Thank You to kit For This Useful Post:

Anoise (07-20-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

hey i thought i was to old when i started me being (28) i felt a little akward, i kept saying your 28 your to old your only a white belt..but after my first class everything went away, i was in pain cause i never stretched like that before, or excercised alot, but know im doing better im almost ready for my yellow belt. so keep it up you will get better and remember friend.....be like water, you put water in a cup it becomes the cup, you put water in a tea pot in becomes the tea pot...be like water my friend
    It does not matter where the Martial art comes from. if it can help you defend yourself it is worth learning( Bruce Lee ) May the Force Be With You

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Things will get and feel better as you go! Don't get discourage. All kind of people of all ages do martial arts and two people of the same age wont necessarly feel the same and so on...

Mr J at my school is going to be 70 this fall, he started probably with all the same kind of aches and pain...but trust me, he is more than holding his own and you better be awake and aware when he attacks you(for techniques)... he is there pretty much every night of the week and got his black belt a little while ago.

Be patient and dont overdo it... meaning that if something is too muchf or you, it is not worth it to push yourself too far and than miss a whole two weeks because you didnt listen to yourself.

You can do it!

OSS!

Matt
    Those Who Judge DO NOT Matter.
    Those Who Matter DO NOT Judge.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Im with Amy, Im somewhere in my 40's, and started several years ago. I think I make noises getting into bed at night that have never been heard by mankind.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links