Thread: Work-Life-"kenpo" balance

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Default Work-Life-"kenpo" balance

So here's an interesting question for all to consider. When I first studied EPAK during college, aside from the occasional drinking fest, my free time was divided between classwork and karate. I was too much of a dork to have a girlfriend, so I spent an inordinate amount of time in front of the mirrors at the campus Rec center doing forms. Towards the end of my college days, every Tuesday and Thursday night would be consumed by kenpo classes. I sometimes would train in Sacramento on Saturdays as well.

These days, I barely have 2 hours a day that I consider free time. I have a 21 month old toddler, so that pretty much consumes my time when I'm not at work. My wife (God bless her) seems supportive of my new found interest in training again, but this means she's stuck with the baby on the nights I'm in class. My current school offers classes 3 nights a week, and sometimes I'm lucky if I can make one !

For those that own / run a school, I guess kenpo is your profession (Mr. Seabrook comes to mind)? For those weekend / evening warriors like myself, how do you balance the demands of your day job, plus kids (if any), and training sessions? I still have the enthusiasm to re-learn this art, but it's getting very hard to build any momentum.

Thanks for sharing
    多謝

Sean

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Work-Life-"kenpo" balance

Hey Sean,

My life is pretty comparable. God has blessed me with a training partner in my daughter. We do time together in the living room and at my office trying to grab a few minutes here and there. We do class one evening each week. I practice in my office between patients, in the bathroom at work (its larger than most), when the front area at work is free for an actual kata I take it. My daughter does it at home. We homeschool so she does it between classes. Its not nearly as much time as I would like but it seems to be working right now.
    Hands on Healer

"If you can not be King be a healer."

"The hands of the King are the hands of a healer"

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Well, here's my 2 cents. I have a 4 almost 5 month old daughter. I'm at work from 5 AM until about 3 PM. When i get home I usually take my daughter from my wife (quit her job to be stay at home mom) so she can start her work day. She is a real estate person so she can usually work out of our home office during the day. She works with clients from about 3 till 9 or 10 some nights showing them homes and such.
    As of last week she wanted to get a part time job for the Christmas season. So, now she works real estate related things until 5:30 then heads to work until 10:45 (Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat). It's just a balancing act for me. My wife understands my life long passion with Martial Arts and works with me.
    I have Kenpo on Tuesday and Thrusday nights from 7 till about 9 PM. On the off days, after I put my daughter to bed, I stay up and train and or exercise in the basement. For us it is about sacrifice. My wife understands and encourages my passion for Kenpo and martial arts in general and we both support each others choices. I thank my wife all the time for sacrificing and working around the 2 days a week I go to class.
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

Thanks

Hi Sean,

You how to find a schedule that pushes your Kenpo to new heights but yet still gives you plenty of family time.

My schedule is crazy but I have found a system that works very well for my wife and two daughters. I actually work FT (outside of Kenpo), practice Kenpo every lunch hour, run my Kenpo school Monday and Thursday nights, teach private lessons throughout the week, and am working on my PhD in Sociology part-time. But, Morgan (my oldest daughter) comes out to my young kids class, and actually trains two days per week. Madison, who turns 2 in less than a week, will do the same when she is older as well. So, on my "off-nights" when I am not teaching private lessons, and have finished my practice time, I spend every second with my daughters and wife. At night, when the kids are down, I stay up as late as I can for my wife to make sure the two of us have plenty of time together.

My wife is so supportive of my Kenpo, and that sure makes things easy for me. That stated, I make sure she gets time along by herself throughout the week, to give her that necessary break from the kids.

Hope that helps.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I think that big thing here is balance. Making time for martial arts training, your family and even yourself. I think it's very tough to do but if you have people around you that support you it makes things easier. I just always remember the time and sacrifice my wife gives me and I do my best to reciprocate. I also try to make sure I make all the time my daughter needs as well. I spend almost the entire weekend with her to make sure she gets the time she deserves as well.
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

Thanks

Having family support is important.

If you look hard for time you will find it.

I had a wife and 3 children, full time job and still taught 3 times a week.

After the divorce I have nothing but time it seems after my full time day job.

Its there just look for it.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

I've been blessed with a very supportive wife. No young children, so I just have to make sure to make plenty of time for her. We both work more than 60 hours a week, so evenings (except Mondays and Thursdays) are hers.

Thanks

I work from home. My husband used to resent my class time, but now he joined it and so he's good with it.

My two kids just started my kids' class and we we all go out on those nights.

I have one night a week that's just mine for training with Tara and I workout by myself during the day when the kids are at school.

When they were little, I just didn't do kenpo. But I missed it desperately.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links