Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How often do you practice??

Thanks

Default Re: How often do you practice??

Good for you buddy. Keep up the great work!

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Thanks
    Thanked 3,585 Times in 2,191 Posts

Instructor workouts are 2 hours on Wednesday night and 3 hours on Saturday morning. In addition to that, I have a one hour private lesson once a week. I try and get two additional 1 hour work outs in per week on my own.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Depends on how my classes fall each quarter.

I usually get up daily at 5AM and do cardio, calisthenics, and review material for 3rd Black....then it's off to work (which is where I do most of my posting, lol.)

This quarter I have college classes on Tuesday and Thursday nights and Saturday, so I am teaching Kenpo on Monday and Wensday nights and Friday mornings (nights too if there is a test.) The days I have Kenpo, I practice for about 2 hours before class...reviewing forms, techniques, basics. Otherwise..I'm hitting the books.

Of course...this will change again in about 2 months! DOH! Oh well, constant change keeps me on my toes. LOL.
    You're a machine, though - I hope the show last night didn't make it too hard for you to get to the school this morning.
    Someone's carryin' a bullet for you right now, doesn't even know it. The trick is, die of old age before it finds you.
    - Malcolm Reynolds

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

That's our machine. I practice when I can. I don't have a set schedule to it. I go to class 3 days a week and have 1 private lesson a week as well. Seems to be okay for now, but I definately need to add more cardio when my foot heals.
    "Second chances they don't never matter, people never change
    Once a whore you're nothing more i'm sorry that'll never change
    And about forgiveness, we're both supposed to have exchanged
    I'm sorry honey, but i'm passing up, now look this way...*" --Paramore "Misery Business"

(*this is where a punch would be landed)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvilPookie
    You're a machine, though - I hope the show last night didn't make it too hard for you to get to the school this morning.
    Nah...I appreciate you dragging me out of the house. I needed it! Besides, I'm used to operating off 4-5 hours of sleep.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Angry Re: How often do you practice??

Nah...I appreciate you dragging me out of the house. I needed it! Besides, I'm used to operating off 4-5 hours of sleep.
    I start breaking things when my battery gets low.

As far as practice goes, I'm trying to get to class every weeknight. I do stretch outside of class daily though to improve my flexibility.
    Someone's carryin' a bullet for you right now, doesn't even know it. The trick is, die of old age before it finds you.
    - Malcolm Reynolds

Thanks

I should show this thread to my hubby. I have been practicing 4-5 days a week (plus teaching the two classes) for about six months now and I get the 'Are you ever going to stop with that?' I do it mostly during the day which affects nobody but me, but still I get grief.

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one....

I don't do the walking techniques though.

I'm a DJ and I've been known to do some pretty flowery katas to the music that passes for dancing. It's interesting to do that because it makes you think faster with the katas and keeps you from getting in a rut with timing.

I get some strange looks occasionally, but that's okay. Nothing new.

On the days I don't make it to the gym, I do try to do my kicks and blocks (as mentioned in one of the other threads) so I feel like I at least did something kenpo that day.

I think we're all a little nuts.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I try to get in 5-7 hours per week.

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

I've just started skipping rope along with my bag work, wow talk about a workout.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

well i have 1 hour class monday- friday after class i go home and practice on my mom, and help my son with his moves, at work i find an empty hallway away from anybody and practice my moves.
    It does not matter where the Martial art comes from. if it can help you defend yourself it is worth learning( Bruce Lee ) May the Force Be With You

Thanks

Click here for my new blog regarding the importance of consistent daily practice:

http://jamieseabrook.blogspot.com/se...daily+practice
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miyu View Post
    I don't specificly set aside practice time anymore, outside of prepping for my classes. However I have found that without consciously doing it, that Im always practicing. When I move past someone, I do brush blocks...I go by a wall corner sticking out, I do rhythmatic timing (really scrapes my knuckles there ^^*)...I do fingerwhips on the shower curtians...if I walk down a corridor, my arms are usually doing five swords, with some sort of continueous motion until I reach my destination....Its like I can't ever stay still

Now when someone catches me doing all that stuff, I usually have some 'splainin' to do Or I just get looked at weird. n_n
    This is pretty much how things work for me. A couple to add: Driving in the car, lying in bed, and when I go to bed at night sometimes I cannot sleep as I go over and over a technique in my head. My master refers to this condition as Kenpolepsy

Blue Belt
    A.K.K.I.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links