Thread: Eight is enough:

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Smile Eight is enough:

Web of Knowledge, it's not just for breakfast anymore.....

When reading Infinite Insights I see the number 8 over and over again, is this a coincidence???

1. 8 Belts in the "Belt Ranking System"
    2. 8 Forms (short/long are variations of the same form)
    3. 8 Physical requirements of the art
    4. 8 Preparitory considerations
    5. 8 Categories for physical preparedness
    6. 8 Angles of Attack/Defense
    7. 8 Variables in the equation formula
    8. 8 Types of Attacks categorized by the Web of Knowledge

This brings me to my point (no not the one on top of my head )
    We are told to explore related useages for the Web of Knowledge, how about some of the examples above??

I've started making one for Delayed Sword using the equation formula for categories and if you connect all the same positions (ex... position #1) for each category....... then wow you can create multiple new techniques all in one Web based on or related to Delayed Sword or any base technique. (now, if only I could execute it )
    This stuff is too COOL

Hum... "What if" I change the Web to seven categories, I could determine what to eat next week and in what order !!

How often do you use the Web of Knowledge and for what purpose?

Last edited by Kenpo-Sloth; 05-06-2005 at 12:32 PM.
    What have I learned from this???

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Eight is enough:

I don't believe you can change the web of knowledge to seven categories, it will limit you too much.
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Yes, there seem to be a lot of "eights" in Kenpo; also, a lot of our movements are "figure eights" - so maybe you can add that to your list.

As for how often I use the WOK; I guess everytime I practice my techniques. It helps me learn them in order on the charts. It also helps me "problem solve" when we do a technique line where the attacker is told to do any one of 3 attacks, but the defender doesn't know which one he or she will do. Needless to say, you have to be alert & through looking at the WOK for each belt level, I've learned to make a mental list of what techniques I know for whatever kind of attack comes at me. And, since the techniques build upon each other as "what ifs," if someone comes at me with a grab, I know a lot of grab techs but the nature of the attack (where they grab me & how they grab me) will determine which tech(s) I will use. So, a "categorized system" has helped me organize the material I'm learning in order to make it easier to learn & to make it work better for me. Hey, you're right - this stuff is cool!!

Thanks for creating it, Mr. Parker.
    The truly educated never graduate.
    "To understand the heart & mind of a person, look not at what they have already achieved, but what they aspire to do." -Kahlil Gibran

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gin-Gin2
    Yes, there seem to be a lot of "eights" in Kenpo; also, a lot of our movements are "figure eights" - so maybe you can add that to your list.

As for how often I use the WOK; I guess everytime I practice my techniques. It helps me learn them in order on the charts.
    Hi Gin-Gin2, I've stopped looking for eights and other hidden things in Kenpo (plenty of time for that later) and kicked up my training at school and home, (repetition, repetition, repetition.....).
    I've put all techniques up to Blue Belt into a Web of Knowledge and practice from that, I can't tell you what belt level "Parting Wings" is required, but Thrusting Wedge, Triggered Salute and Hooking Wings just popped into my head as well as a few grabs like Lone Kimono and Snapping Twig.
    Most of my fellow students use Technique Requirements per Belt sheets, but I prefer the Web of Knowledge, it's much easier for me!!!
    The Web of Knowledge got me off the "Techniques Required for X Belt Promotion" sheets and there's no going back.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo-Sloth
    Hi Gin-Gin2, I've stopped looking for eights and other hidden things in Kenpo (plenty of time for that later) and kicked up my training at school and home, (repetition, repetition, repetition.....).
    I've put all techniques up to Blue Belt into a Web of Knowledge and practice from that, I can't tell you what belt level "Parting Wings" is required, but Thrusting Wedge, Triggered Salute and Hooking Wings just popped into my head as well as a few grabs like Lone Kimono and Snapping Twig.
    Most of my fellow students use Technique Requirements per Belt sheets, but I prefer the Web of Knowledge, it's much easier for me!!!
    The Web of Knowledge got me off the "Techniques Required for X Belt Promotion" sheets and there's no going back.
    I don't know which curriculum your school uses, but American Kenpo schools that use the 16-technique curriculum would require "Parting Wings" at Blue belt. However, your school may be different...

And, if that method works for you & your instructor is ok with you using it, why not?
    The truly educated never graduate.
    "To understand the heart & mind of a person, look not at what they have already achieved, but what they aspire to do." -Kahlil Gibran

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

I don't know which curriculum your school uses, but American Kenpo schools that use the 16-technique curriculum would require "Parting Wings" at Blue belt. However, your school may be different...
    Exactly my point!!

Once I got off the "Techniques for X Belt" sheets, the Web of Knowledge kicks in with other techniques for the same or similar attack, then I start thinking about the stance changes (NB -> FB -> NB) and Calming the Storm and Alternating Maces pops into my head. The Web of Knowledge made me forget about belt color and everything seems easier now.

For what it's worth, I looked up the Belt Level for the few techniques mentioned:

Parting Wings - purple
    Thrusting Wedge - purple
    Triggered Salute - yellow
    Hooking Wings - purple
    Lone Kimono - yellow
    Snapping Twig - orange
    Calming the Storm - orange
    Alternating Maces - (not required)

You have 16 techniques per belt and I have 15.
    We have the same AK techniques but different belt level requirements.
    If we both make a Web of Knowledge for all techniques it probably looks exactly the same. How interesting.....

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

the school i go to is the 24 tec. system parting wings is for purple blet where i study...i think that the 5th book in infinite insights gives you all the requirements that the school i go to go by... i love this system so much it hurts...lol

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

I don't know which curriculum your school uses, but American Kenpo schools that use the 16-technique curriculum would require "Parting Wings" at Blue belt.
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxershane
    24 tec. system parting wings is for purple blet where i study
    Wow, The colors run deep amongst us underbelts!!

The combined W.O.K. is color-blind

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Remember, it is how well you know your techniques that is truly important. It doesn't matter the color of your belt if you cannot do Delayed Sword properly.
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seig
    It doesn't matter the color of your belt if you cannot do Delayed Sword properly.
    can I use that? hahahahahaha quote of the year man!
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Forward all royalties to me

Thanks
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 798 Posts

This is always a great thread to read, and more opinions and perceptions could be beneficial.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

I was just visiting and saw this thread was brought up again.

As of January 1st, our curriculum changed. Some things were taken out while other things were added. Some techniques changed, but all the names changed (we are using Tracy names now).

I bring this up because, everyone had to learn which different techniques were required for each belt rank, but I on the other hand just put the new techniques into a W.O.K. and didn't skip a beat.

Another advantage of the W.O.K..............
    Every technique has it's place or catagory without question. If I made a technique up right now it would have a place in the W.O.K., but if you catagorize by belt rank, anything goes depending on your school. We've already seen schools with the same techniques have different belt requirements. What if they change it around, do you memorize??

The W.O.K. is simple and the structure doesn't change.
    We were given a tool, lets use it!!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links