Thread: Introductory Lesson

Thanks

Default Introductory Lesson

What did you learn in your introductory lesson?

Did you learn a technique? Some basics? Did the instructor cover the etiquette of class?

And did you do the intro during class off to the side or did you have a special time before class?

Or were you just thrown into class and told to follow along, perhaps having someone help you some during class?

In other words, what was your first experience on the mat?

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Introductory Lesson

My introductory lesson was when the class was still part of a college class, so there were lots of new faces. So it was pretty much an intro less for all of us. There were some guys there that had been in the class for years and were high ranked to show us what was to come. I was hooked from the moment we bowed in.
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Something new I'm trying is that I've created some brochures to hand out to folks that inquire about classes. Inside is a coupon for a free lesson. On the coupon they fill out thier name, address, phone, e-mail and schedule a date and time. I usually try and schedule them on Saturdays.

In thier introductory lesson they will be taught the basics of the neutral bow, basic mechanics of the inward block, basics of a ball kick, and the handsword. I then tie it all together and teach them "Delayed Sword." So, they get some basics, and see how the basics come together to form a self-defense technique. If they sign up for class after the private lesson I will then go over the basics of dojo etiquette.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

So, do you give them the intro during class or set it up beforehand?

I tend to go over probably too much during the intro.

I teach them the horse, neutral bow, 3 or 4 blocks, front snap, chop and then also teach delayed sword.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I try not to overwhelm them with too much (which is really hard for me to do, because once my mouth starts moving it sometimes won't stop on its own! LOL)

I spend more time enforcing the basic fighting stance, the basics of one or two blocks, one or two strikes (kick/punch) and then tie it together into one self-defense technique.

Give them a little taste, enough to whet their appatite for more. Then they'll come back. (at least that's what I hope.)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong View Post
    What did you learn in your introductory lesson?

Did you learn a technique? Some basics? Did the instructor cover the etiquette of class?

And did you do the intro during class off to the side or did you have a special time before class?

Or were you just thrown into class and told to follow along, perhaps having someone help you some during class?

In other words, what was your first experience on the mat?

--Amy
    Ill never forget it ... 1976 in the dressing room at the studio. Basic stances, and blocks and the instructor testing my young mind to see if I was ready to train. I loved it and could not wait for more!

Seems like yesterday!
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I was there to watch and one of the brown belts pulled me to the side and showed me basic stances, blocks and some punches. Not too much, but I definately was in awe. Don't know if it was CC's verbal diarrhea or his & Sifu's speed, but I was hooked.
    "Second chances they don't never matter, people never change
    Once a whore you're nothing more i'm sorry that'll never change
    And about forgiveness, we're both supposed to have exchanged
    I'm sorry honey, but i'm passing up, now look this way...*" --Paramore "Misery Business"

(*this is where a punch would be landed)

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

I was taught the first 3 techniques, SF1, and a few basics.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I learned stances (natural, attention, horse, neutral bow); star block set; and one technique (obscure wing).
    I also learned inward and outward parry, how to make a fist, hammerfist, thrusting punch, obscure elbow, and back elbow.
    "Let the wookie win."

Thanks

my intro lessons were 2 weeks, with 2 days a week.. i had a private class..
    i learned the basic stances (horse, neutral, attention), outward and inward handswords, verticle and horizontal thrust and snap punches, the blocks (upward, inward, etc), and star block. i cant remember if i learned 1 or 2 techniques before my actual classes..

it felt nice because after i fully signed and put on my gi and white belt.. i felt like i actually earned my white belt and felt comfortable joining in class..

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Kempo had no free introduction. They let you watch one class and then you signed up or walked out the door. I signed up, and did it for two years and was very happy.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kempo91 View Post
    Kempo had no free introduction. They let you watch one class and then you signed up or walked out the door. I signed up, and did it for two years and was very happy.
    Many Kenpo/Kempo schools have introductory courses. The school you attened did not have an introductory course.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

My instructor offered 4 classes at no change. After the fourth class we sat, talked and decided at that point if I wished to continue. Those classes showed stances, Star Block Set, Mace of Aggression, Attacking Mace & Checking the Storm. The person assigned to help me through classess was a 2nd black that greatly helped me to try to overcome things that my body was trying to do. It was and contiunes to be an effort to evolve from my pervious art to EPAK. The good part is from the beginning my instructor and "Mr. Jim" has been there all along to help me overcome the challenges that I face.
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links