Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Most natural weapon

Thanks

Default Most natural weapon

What do you find to be your most natural weapon?

Are you the most comfortable with the punch, a certain kick, chops, eye shots, what?

This is the beginner's corner, so I'd like to know what you are finding to be the easiest thing for you to do and why?

And what is the most difficult and why.

I remember when I started (I was 11, almost 12) and I thought that doing the horse stance was the silliest and weird thing that I'd ever done. That wore off eventually. I always liked the wheelkick, but I think that's kind of a girl thing.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Default Re: Most natural weapon

I would have to say right cross punch, right round house kick, right spinning back kick and either hand hammer fist.
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2004hemi
    I would have to say right cross punch, right round house kick, right spinning back kick and either hand hammer fist.
    Would you say these are your most natural weapons? And why?

I like the wheelkick because it can be done at a distance. That's what I liked about it when I first started.

I disliked the punches for the opposite reason -- I had to get too close.

I'm getting comfortable fighting with backknuckles and I'm growing partial to the front snapkick that kind of twists to hit the groin. Can't think what's it's called at the moment.

But that one usually hits its target.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Claws,

I like claws for some reason.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    Would you say these are your most natural weapons? And why?

I like the wheelkick because it can be done at a distance. That's what I liked about it when I first started.

I disliked the punches for the opposite reason -- I had to get too close.

I'm getting comfortable fighting with backknuckles and I'm growing partial to the front snapkick that kind of twists to hit the groin. Can't think what's it's called at the moment.

But that one usually hits its target.

--Amy

Well many moons ago I had friends in TKD classes. I would attend a few classes but most of the time showed up to fight/spar my friends. That turned into me sparing every one in the class at one time or another. And since I had no martial arts training I had to rely on what worked in school yard fights and what I picked up from those (the high ranking belts) that beat the crap out of me in the class. Now fast forward a lot of years until I started Kenpo I spent a lot of time practicing round house kicks, punches/ridge hands, and spinning back kicks.

As far as why I like each, the hammer fist I like because I seem to be able to fit them into a lot of the techís I have learned up to this point with out changing the dynamic of the tech.

The round house I love, if someone were to confront me in the street and they dropped their hands for a sec a round house could put them away. Or a round house then follows up with an inward elbow to the side of the head. Ouch

Right cross punch Ė speaks for itís self if you find yourself on the inside thatís the perfect one hit knock out punch.

Spinning back kick. I like this move it may not be the best and I know you could be put off balance, but with that said as a secondary move after you stunned them with a first hit. It would do some damage and to be honest it looks cool.
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

Thanks

my most comfortable natural weapon.. a hammerfist (alot of techniquest that use a handsword of open palm for some reason i do a hammerfist more naturally) buckling someone's knee with my own is quite fun as well, obviously thundering hammers is one of my fav techniques

most difficult? id have to say our Roundhouse kicks.. iv lost so much flexability, and im sore all the time cos of work.. :-\

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I'd have to say heel-palms are both my favorite and most natural, but I'm not sure why. I think I get more power in a heel-palm than I do many punches.

My least favorite are definitely sweeps because of my lack in ability to pivot past 90 degrees. Heel kicks are also difficult for me.
    "Let the wookie win."

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

By the way, Chuck Lidell made a great case for a rising forearm strike just a few minutes ago. They kept calling it an uppercut, but I don't think it was.
    "Let the wookie win."

Thanks

I like the uppercut lately. So natural to blend it into a straight punch. Finger whips are cool, too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Most natural for me has to be elbow strikes and heelpalms. They seemed to be pretty easy for me and easy to generate power as well. Also round kicks were always natural for me. I like those because they're easy to set up for and very quick. I've also built up some decent power in those as well. In a street confrontation i doubt anyone would see them coming until its too late.

Most difficult or unatural I think I would have to say side kicks. I love side kicks but thats one strike that needs to always have perfect technique. I think just the wind up and the extension, the balance and everything is just unatural to most people. But if its pulled off right, man those things can be very efficient.
    "A warrior's ultimate act is to put down his sword"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Knees, elbows, hammerfist, and hook kicks. Blunt force trauma... That's me all day long! LOL
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Ė Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

I think punching and slapping are the most natural. Making them the most effective they can be takes time. I was working slaps and heal palms with a Goju instructor yesterday at the Gathering and learned to appreciate the simplicity and complexity in the same movement.
    More Shugyo!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessRising
    Most difficult or unatural I think I would have to say side kicks. I love side kicks but thats one strike that needs to always have perfect technique. I think just the wind up and the extension, the balance and everything is just unatural to most people. But if its pulled off right, man those things can be very efficient.
    I am in agreement with you on those. When you get a sidekick in, it's a beautiful thing full of power and glory....

But it's getting it up, out, extended, locked and not fall down that's the hard part.

--Amy

Thanks

I would have to say my grip or elbows.
    getting a pound of flesh ripped off of your body hurts.......and elbows are just great weapons in close, which is where i like to be.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    ... I'm growing partial to the front snapkick that kind of twists to hit the groin. Can't think what's it's called at the moment.
    Reverse roundhouse. Good one to know, but be careful. I riped a hamstring throwing that one too high and too hard several years ago. Still gives me problems.

My favorite weapons: knees and elbows, baby!

Least favorite: ridge hand strikes. My thumbs won't take even a little pressure any more.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thedan
    Reverse roundhouse. Good one to know, but be careful. I riped a hamstring throwing that one too high and too hard several years ago. Still gives me problems.

My favorite weapons: knees and elbows, baby!

Least favorite: ridge hand strikes. My thumbs won't take even a little pressure any more.
    I only use that kick to go to the groin. Slips right in. I like elbows too. Pointy pointy elbows.

--Amy

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

The kick all depends.

My understanding of the reverse roundhouse vs. a twist kick might be different than others points of view.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth
    The kick all depends.

My understanding of the reverse roundhouse vs. a twist kick might be different than others points of view.
    Twist kick. I think that's what I mean. I couldn't think of the name. I don't think I know what a reverse roundhouse is, at least not by that name.

Anyone care to define it?

--Amy

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Elbows, Backfist, Hammerfist, and Knees. And always to soft targets too.
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I always liked elbows and roundhouse kicks.
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links