Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Motivates You?

Thanks

Default What Motivates You?

As beginners, what gets you excited about practicing?

I've got some students who don't like to practice.

What motivates you? What makes you want to practice?

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: What Motivates You?

Success and positive encouragement (as long as its real). As a teacher (not in martial arts), I find that creating opportunity for success coupled with high expectations motivates students to do better.

The other thing that motivates me to train is the possibility of learning more material -- the ever-dangling carrot.

Hitting the pads and bags also helps -- there is a connection -- it gets a lot of the senses involved: hearing the contact, feeling the impact, seeimg the movement of the target.

Ceicei is offline Knowledge Seeker
    Thanks

What motivated me when I started? The adrenaline from training hard. Of course, the encouragement from the instructor.

- Ceicei
    Studying martial arts is for life, not for the color of the belt.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

It has always been the thirst for more knowledge. I've always had the desire to do my best so there was never an issue of me wanting to progress. However, I have found many a times when I was just plain lazy and would rather sit down and crash in front of the TV. I found that if I became friendly with the people at class; attend seminars and cookouts with them as well as get my own family involved in said activities; it made me want to go to as many classes as I could. Those gatherings always seem to form some friendships that motivate me to go to class to push each other. It's kind of like a buddy system. This is not to say that in class these relationships are not forged, but I think it happens in a more naturally in a relaxed atmosphere outside of the studio.
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gardawamtu
    The other thing that motivates me to train is the possibility of learning more material -- the ever-dangling carrot.
    I would have to second that. I am always pushing to learn new material and improve upon my existing.

Kenpo is still my big tension and stress reliever. It is the only method I have right now to funnel all of that energy.
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong

What motivates you?
    Chocolate!

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    What makes you want to practice?
    Umm........the effects of the chocolate!!
    OUR NEW SCHOOL WEBPAGE IS:
    Sacramento Kenpo Karate

If you were waiting for the opportune moment, that was it.

~Captain Jack Sparrow~

You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?

~Captain Jack Sparrow~

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan
    Chocolate!

Unfortunately, while chocolate motivates me, the effects of chocolate (i.e. weight gain) put added pressure on my knees, which makes me not want to practice. Life is cruel!

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Unfortunately, while chocolate motivates me, the effects of chocolate (i.e. weight gain) put added pressure on my knees, which makes me not want to practice. Life is cruel!
    I second that.
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

HAHA! you guys are too funny. I have to say what motivates me to go to class (besides the classes Im obligated to show up for since I have to teach... btw that is a good motivator) I'd have to say is having the possiblilty of training with some of my favorites and also when I unlock a new dimension to a technique or form that I can't wait to experiment with. those are my two biggest motivations I'd say.
    "A warrior's ultimate act is to put down his sword"

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

I guess the advancement and fellowship are real motivators for me, but now I find that getting a chance to apply some of the ideas I get here is also a big motivation. The further I go the more I "see" the value of things, even things I might have thought had no value before.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
    Chocolate!

Is there anything better than chocolate?

Thanks

I found that teaching is what motivates me to practice.

For most of my kenpo career, I didn't practice much. I might think about stuff, but I didn't run through it in the body much.

It was when I was testing for my black that I started practicing more and after I got it (and my knee healed enough to go back to class), I started teaching a regular classs all my own.

Some of my motivation was so I could make my knee feel better, but it wasn't long before I realized that if I'm to teach others, I have to be worthy of being their instructor.

As lower belts, I wanted them to look to me as something to strive for. I wanted to be crisp and sharp so they would know what a black belt was supposed to look like.

Then a crazy thing happened.....I started to really look forward to that time of giving to myself. And I started to miss it when I couldn't make a workout for some reason. Crazy but true.

I also like looking in the mirror and seeing what I look like on the outside, more accurately reflect the image of myself I carry on the inside. (It kinda got stuck in my early twenties.)

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

learning and refining is what motivates me. I love to learn but like it also when students have problems with something specific and I can help them fix their problems. There's not much better feeling than when a student stands there and say's "I just can't get it right". Then after a bit of time of 1 on 1, the student can do what it is they said they couldn't before.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I have a number of really good motivators. A really big one is that my training partner is my daughter. It is great to spend the time with each other doing somethiong we both enjoy! We both love our instructor and want to show him our thankfulness by demonstrating that we have been practicing. Finally, I have a huge love for any type of well performed movement. I love ballroom dancing. When I worked with my wife and some good music came on we would dance around the office. I still do that when possible but now I spend more time practicing Kenpo by myself at work and whenever possible with my daughter. Movement is great! With continued practice I hope to do it well someday.
    Hands on Healer

"If you can not be King be a healer."

"The hands of the King are the hands of a healer"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong View Post
    Then a crazy thing happened.....I started to really look forward to that time of giving to myself. And I started to miss it when I couldn't make a workout for some reason. Crazy but true.

I also like looking in the mirror and seeing what I look like on the outside, more accurately reflect the image of myself I carry on the inside. (It kinda got stuck in my early twenties.)

--Amy
    You are so right, Amy.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

As a beginner still I have a strange motivation. Failure. I hate to fail at something. If I get beat while sparring I make sure that I take mental notes of what I did wrong and work to correct it. I remember what motivated me to learn Long 4 (besides the fact that I think it's the most elegant form i've seen). I was working with Ray, a black belt. I was a blue belt at the time and we were running through all the froms, Short 1 all the way up to Long 6 and then 2 Man Set after that. Ray was going at a fairly slow pace but I got lost none the less, so lost that I was still working out thundering hammers when he finished. LOL. That was a Friday night (at this time I was usually the only other person that showed up on Fridays well I was showing up 6 days a week lol and on Sunday's after I got my key.) I went home after class looked up on the net for info on Long 4, using Mr. Billings website I worked out a big chunck of it, with grevious errors of course because I was just reading along, but I had the gist. Saturday morning I got up at 4am (about 4-5 hours before anyone else got there) and went down to the dojo and watched my instructors tapes of Mr. Planas doing Long 4. About a week later I could keep uo with Ray even at full speed. I was far from gracefull or elegant, but I was ok.

So in some cases failure can be a strong motivator, if met with proper encouragement by instructors. Also a strong love for the material itself doesnt hurt either.
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Motivation question for all contributors

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard View Post
    With the ever increasingly frantic pace of life, and all of its distractions, what has kept you motivated to continue your training and how have you overcome the demotivators that have been thrown in your path?
    I'm not of the ranks you describe, but have been at it for quite some time now. I suppose my motivation is the realization that I obtain every training session, every practice time, and every time I am in the presence of my teacher. That realization is that....my kenpo still sucks .

Steven Brown
    UKF

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 611 Posts

Default Re: Motivation question for all contributors

Having been in the martial arts for 34 years now I think I am qualified to answer the question. Though the last couple of posts have been leaning in the direction of Mr. Parker's orginal students, I am not one (I was only in the physical presence of the man once at the '75 Internationals). But in the context of the original question here goes...

My motiviation for continued study has actually changed as I myself as a martial artist have changed. As a beginning student, quite literally, it was all about the physical. At 6'2 and 130 lbs. in school I walked around with a target on my back. When I began my MA studies it was purely about defending myself. As I matured it became about the quest for MA knowledge (Why this way and not that way? Does this make sense?) Luckily I have been blessed with some very good instructors and mentors over the years, folks who were all about the practical application of the knowledge being taught. This type of attitude feeds your personal motivation. Have there been a few detours? Sure, life has a way of getting in the way. But if you have learned MA properly it always has a way of drawing you back.Why am I still involved at 50 ( a youngster to some, an old fart to many)? Simple, because there is still much to learn. Though I derive a great deal of joy from teaching (seeing the light bulb go on in a student's eyes, watching the same struggles I had of getting something down), at the core it's still about discovery. Discovery of the new, discovery of the subtlties in something you thought you already knew. That's what keeps me motivated. What will I learn today? Will it come from my teachers, from my personal evaluations, a mentor, another expert in the same art (or a different one); or will it come from one of my students? I think it's time to stop typing and go see what I can discover today.

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 611 Posts

Please note that the post above in my name was moved from a different thread (quite properly) and as such the 'original question" I reference is not the one posted on this thread.

The original question from Bob Hubbard was:
    Many of you are going on your 3rd, 4th, possibly 5th decade in the arts. Those of us just starting out often face distractions on our journey. With the ever increasingly frantic pace of life, and all of its distractions, what has kept you motivated to continue your training and how have you overcome the demotivators that have been thrown in your path?
    Maybe my reply will make a little more sense now.

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: What Motivates You?

What I find most motivational, is watching the gleem in a student's eye, as they experience yet another, "Blinding Flash of the Obvious" and some piece of the puzzle slides into place for them. Watching a student, grow and change and become both a more skilled martial artist and a better person, is what keeps me, keepin' on. Observing what change is possible, with enough effort, concentration and dilligence. The ever growing need, to stay ahead of my brightest students, and learning, adding, developing more materiel to feed their questing minds and challenge their physical limitations, as well as my own. Seeing the self confidence steadily increase and allow people to realize more and more of their potential as time passes. Receiving the occaisional phone call, letter, email or visit, from students on really wide, eccentric orbits, who reach out, to remind me that I have touched their lives in some significant manner and that they haven't forgotten. During my own times of insecurity, it has often been these simple reminders, that have kept me doing this, for as long as I have.

(Well, that and the sheer, unadulterated terror, that if I were to ever stop? I might not be able to start again!)
    NEW and IMPROVED Non-Chunky Version!

[SIGPIC]http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo[/SIGPIC]

I only know enough, to understand how much I don't know

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links