Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defense against grappling in kenpo

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Question Defense against grappling in kenpo

Hello I would like if in kenpo they are there defenses againt technique like mount position or others.I know they are there technique takedowns in the form 4(I believe).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Re: Defense against grappling in kenpo

Kenpo has a defense against every attack imaginable...including attempted "shoots" or "tackles." The basic philosophy in Kenpo is to use what works and to be prepared for anything.

We have pre-set techniques that teach valuable principles for defending against attempted tackles, and we also work drills from the ground. The primary difference between ground fighting and grappling is that we teach maneuvers that get you back on your feet as soon as possilbe.

Did you have a specific attack from the mounted position (top or side? hopefully not rear... ) that you wanted addressed?
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

[quote=Did you have a specific attack from the mounted position (top or side? hopefully not rear... ) that you wanted addressed?[/quote]

I think rather a top mounted position(where the attacker can hit with his fist on the mouth).

Thanks

First, don't forget that a lot of the principles that apply while standing also apply on the ground. For instance: Parrying a punch while on the ground can be more effective than while standing actually. Think about it. Where does the attackers hand go? Past your head of course...but what is past your head when lying flat on the pavement? Why, the pavement of course!! Punching hard concrete is very distracting to your attacker, lol, and will allow you to bridge your hips, roll and get them off of you. Just some basics there for ya.

More advanced methods could entail utilizing a cervical choke, or other trapping methods or locks that can be utilized to upset the attackers balance in order to give you the advantage in bridging/rolling in order to get them off of you.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Ok thanks

Thanks

Like CC said, if you look at the principles the techniques teach you.....they are applicable in almost any position.

Thanks

Kenpo has a lot of them. A lot of people train with the mindset of using a certain block/tech against a certain attack. But if one thought about it, they could use a tech like Flashing Cranes against a takedown attempt. Of course, one would have to adjust their own height zone by dropping into a really low stance (wide kneel). Remember to keep your head above your hips (keep your back straight). Shuffle back if you have to but make sure to stabilize on your major strikes.
    You can figure out the rest, such as where your blocks/strikes will have to be adjusted to.

Thanks

Here's a little hint for those that may not know: A lot of grapplers will execute a jab or other type punch to distract you prior to shooting for your leg(s). This is what they are taught. Just remember your basics. Don't "reach" to block a punch that will not make contact. Use "black dot" focus and be aware of everything your opponent is doing. That way when they shoot for your legs you will be better prepared. Remember, the first rule to winning a ground fight is to not end up on the ground!

Thanks

One of my favourite things to do to suck an opponent into grabbing at me is just sticking my hand in their face.
    This is kind of a typical grappler tactic.
    The best way to defend against it is ignoring it.
    There are a lot of tricks that grapplers do to suck in unsuspecting people.
    Grapplers are the anglerfish of the martial arts world, the trick is to ignore the flashy lures and stick and move.

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

In all honestly I must say the absolute best defense against a grappler is to know how to grapple yourself. Once you know how to grapple you start to understand what to look for, when you're being setup, what tools they use they use to take you down, etc... So once you prepare yourself to fight on the ground you can start to better prepare yourself so you won't have to fight on the ground.
    "A warrior's ultimate act is to put down his sword"

Thanks

exactly what every one else said.. if hes going to keep punching you.. parry outward (not an "outward parry" lol) in circular motions.. so they move punches out, instead of moving inward.

ram your elbows into his thighs.. lift your knees to mess with his base.. ventually getting on one knee raised (and possibly hitting him in the back, or kidney if you're lucky) and rolling him off..

if hes doin haymakers or just leaving his punches out there, grab his wrist and pull it to the opposite side of your body.. (eg grab his right hand, with your left and take it to your right shoulder) and thrust into his opposite shoulder or head.. to get his shoulders to turn (i guess it'd be opposing forces (like alot of Aikido throws, fancy that ).. push and pull.. whatever you wanna call it..) you may even be able to get an arm bar/break after you roll him off.

theres alot a kenpoist can do on the ground thats not even in most of ourcirriculums.. you're on the ground.. you are against your base as opposed to standing on it.. true it limits your movement.. but you have alot more opportunities for bracing angles, more ways to restrain him.. its about environment.

hell one time we had a groundfighting class and basically it was wrestle around, staying relaxed, trying to get the upper hand.. no arm bars or chokes tho. just get the upper hand, try and punch the person, knees, elbows.. see what openings you can find.

avoiding a shoot.. dropping into a close kneel with a downward or outward elbow to his head/neck.. you've changed where his target is.. you've established somewhat of a base. or, mess with him and (if you're in a neutral) switch to the opposite side, then bring the back leg for a knee.. you just moved in an avoidant manner.. he might think you're just avoiding a shoot, when you can move into a counter from there.. part of thundering hammers (after they've bent over from the initial blow) would be a decent example of a counter..

nothing perfect.. just a bunch of ideas you can work on, thoughts iv had or suggestions been made to me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessRising
    In all honestly I must say the absolute best defense against a grappler is to know how to grapple yourself. Once you know how to grapple you start to understand what to look for, when you're being setup, what tools they use they use to take you down, etc... So once you prepare yourself to fight on the ground you can start to better prepare yourself so you won't have to fight on the ground.
    How do you think I know this stuff!?!? LOL You're absolutely right though. I heard Vic LeRoux say "If you want to know how to fight a grappler...go find one and train with them!" That's so true with any aspect of fighting or MA.

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    ... I heard Vic LeRoux say "If you want to know how to fight a grappler...go find one and train with them!" That's so true with any aspect of fighting or MA.
    I have said that same basic thing on MT for years and got a lot of hate mail, PM's, general conversation of you shouldn't have to do that.....

Ok, well everytime I grapple with my buddy I always lose . However, I make him work for it but he's so technically sound it's hard to get anything on him.

Thanks

So far, I hate grappling.

If I were in a grappling situation, I would bite hard and poke out eyes.

Too dangerous for knees that have been strained by other kenpo activities.

That doesn't really add much to the conversation, but it's how I feel about it.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    If I were in a grappling situation, I would bite hard.
    --Amy
    Isn't not dangerous with V.I.H???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth
    I have said that same basic thing on MT for years and got a lot of hate mail, PM's, general conversation of you shouldn't have to do that.....

Ok, well everytime I grapple with my buddy I always lose . However, I make him work for it but he's so technically sound it's hard to get anything on him.
    Working out with an expert in a given field is the best way to get better at a particular thing...MA or otherwise. That's just common sense. I can't understand why anyone would dog you out for wanting to improve upon your skills. Oh well...there's a lot of things I don't understand.

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Well go over on Kenponet and post something like you decided to start working out in a JJ school. Or something to that effect. See what kind of responses you get from the people.

Thanks

Why? Do they need things stirred up over there? LOL. I lurk there from time to time, but it doesn't take long for me to get disgusted and move on.

Hmmmmm.. narrow-minded Kenpo....isn't that an oxymoron?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    Why? Do they need things stirred up over there? LOL. I lurk there from time to time, but it doesn't take long for me to get disgusted and move on.

Hmmmmm.. narrow-minded Kenpo....isn't that an oxymoron?
    That's why I'm here. Some of those people claim that Mr. Parker speaks to them from the grave.

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael151
    That's why I'm here. Some of those people claim that Mr. Parker speaks to them from the grave.
    Talk about a path to the dark side...wow...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links