Thread: Wide/Close Kneel training

Thanks

Default Wide/Close Kneel training

been using them alot more in class.. cant hold either for to long.. any tips or exercises anyone can suggest? im a few months away from purple belt, but i believe a requirement is staying in wide and close kneels for like 5 min or something.. a friend of mine suggested holding them while watching commercials or something to get used to it..

question.. one thing iv thought of is holding the stances.. but at the same time holding onto something, a chair/desk/bed/tree whatever to take some weight off initially, and as i get more familiar with holding the stance longer ween away from bracing off an object till my knees and calfs are used to the weight.

iv tried anchoring my butt, iv tried staying as straight and erect as possible, iv tried altrenating weight slightly.. its just one of those things nomatter what you do its still difficult/painful to do.

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Wide/Close Kneel training

Give it time, one thing that helped me was learning Stance set 2 and doing it slowly over and over again, I know that may be a down the road for you but my suggestion is keep practicing your basic stances.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Squats. You don't have to use weight, just lots of repetitions.

Also, try assuming a sitting positing with your back braced against a wall and holding it. Time yourself. Remember to maintain proper breathing and try to increase the amount of time you can hold that position.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

I would also say squats. But, I wonder what the logic of holding a wide or close kneel stance for 5 mins. is?

Quote Originally Posted by madeku
    been using them alot more in class.. cant hold either for to long.. any tips or exercises anyone can suggest? im a few months away from purple belt, but i believe a requirement is staying in wide and close kneels for like 5 min or something.. a friend of mine suggested holding them while watching commercials or something to get used to it..

question.. one thing iv thought of is holding the stances.. but at the same time holding onto something, a chair/desk/bed/tree whatever to take some weight off initially, and as i get more familiar with holding the stance longer ween away from bracing off an object till my knees and calfs are used to the weight.

iv tried anchoring my butt, iv tried staying as straight and erect as possible, iv tried altrenating weight slightly.. its just one of those things nomatter what you do its still difficult/painful to do.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner
    I would also say squats. But, I wonder what the logic of holding a wide or close kneel stance for 5 mins. is?
    Well, you never know when you're going to be in a situation where you havto drop into a wide kneel stance to keep a bomb from going off. By holding that wide kneel stance, you are saving the city until help can arrive. If you falter, only death and destruction will follow.

Plus, it's just torture training. Some instructors find that amusing.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    Well, you never know when you're going to be in a situation where you havto drop into a wide kneel stance to keep a bomb from going off. By holding that wide kneel stance, you are saving the city until help can arrive. If you falter, only death and destruction will follow.

Plus, it's just torture training. Some instructors find that amusing.

--Amy
    lol yeah.. it shows endurance, and willpower.. and whether you've been practicing or not..

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links