Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: making my own clubs

Thanks

Default making my own clubs

howdy.. currently i'm working towards my Purple Belt and at my school we start learning the club curriculums around where i'm at.. my Instructor said to get some 1" thick oak dowel rods, and how to measure the length for my own personal set. to me this is really awesome.. because i have an oldskool mentality that if you make the weapon yourself it becomes a part of you, as opposed to you becoming one with a weapon someone else made..

I already have the rods.. and some sand paper to smooth it out and round off the ends after i cut it.. my question is. staining/coating..

i know i'll want to coat it (as i like to train outside in the rain at times).. also id like to stain it a shade of green or blue (havent decided) are there colored (aside from wood tones) stains.. or would i have to paint it, then coat it? what would the order in which i do things go? obviously the measuring and cutting, then sanding.. common sense says staining then sealing.

any advice?

Thanks

Default Re: making my own clubs

Quote Originally Posted by madeku
    howdy.. currently i'm working towards my Purple Belt and at my school we start learning the club curriculums around where i'm at.. my Instructor said to get some 1" thick oak dowel rods, and how to measure the length for my own personal set. to me this is really awesome.. because i have an oldskool mentality that if you make the weapon yourself it becomes a part of you, as opposed to you becoming one with a weapon someone else made..

I already have the rods.. and some sand paper to smooth it out and round off the ends after i cut it.. my question is. staining/coating..

i know i'll want to coat it (as i like to train outside in the rain at times).. also id like to stain it a shade of green or blue (havent decided) are there colored (aside from wood tones) stains.. or would i have to paint it, then coat it? what would the order in which i do things go? obviously the measuring and cutting, then sanding.. common sense says staining then sealing.

any advice?
    Get some kind of stain for decks if you plan on leaving them outside. Sand it first and between coats put a few on until you like the color then seal it. Sand between clear coats (seal) too.

That method worked for me

Good luck, upload a picture when you finish them.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Do you do any contact training with the clubs? As in club on club striking or the like? If so, I recommend you use rattan instead, when hardwoods break you get sharp pointy splinters and pieces flying around, rattan just bends.

Regarding staining hardwood, you may be able to find a stain that is both a stain and have a protective coating to make your life a little easier. Do you want a complete paint (only the color visible) or do you want to be able to see the grain through the coloring? There certainly are non-wood shades out there in stains if that is what you are looking for.

Your common sense is correct, cut, sand, stain/paint, protect.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Blindside For This Useful Post:

Brother John (05-16-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

I do a lot of wood work, and you can get stains in many colors. my suggestion is push the stains into the wood with a cloth, and do several coats. Then find liquid wax and do 3 - 5 coat with it. It will hard as it dries and give a great shine, and realy make the sticks strong.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

thanks all.. iv already sanded.. i need to cut and round the edges off some still.. i dont know where i could find a colored stain though.. i didnt see any in Lowes of all places (if its there itd be in a gallon container). haha. im guessing a hobby/craft store would?

Thanks

http://www.minwax.com/products/woods...ased-color.cfm

Minwax is VERY common, I'm surprised you can't find it. But they might only sell in larger containers, I have no idea.

Lamont

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

Thanks

thanks all.. iv already sanded.. i need to cut and round the edges off some still.. i dont know where i could find a colored stain though.. i didnt see any in Lowes of all places (if its there itd be in a gallon container). haha. im guessing a hobby/craft store would?
    They sell it in small cans too, just ask someone.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Angry Re: making my own clubs

gah!! Lowes doesnt have the colored stains.. same as walmart just the wood shade stains.. imma try Ace hardware.. then a local craft store..

Thanks

gah!! Lowes doesnt have the colored stains.. same as walmart just the wood shade stains.. imma try Ace hardware.. then a local craft store..
    Do you have a Home Depot, Jo Ann Fabrics or Micheals?
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

The internet is your friend, you can order online ya know....

~William Drummond

Thanks

WOW... i feel like such a dumbass... you buy a clear coat, and have one of the paint guys color it.. *smacks forehead* i told you all im not crafting oriented.. so i guess later today ill stop by Ace (since its right by my dojo) before class and get some Minwax mixed.. and whatnot.. im going to try and work on rounding the edges, making grooves, and some more sanding.. i wont post again till im done. so ill spare you all.

Thanks

If you have a digital camera, could you post pics when you are done? Clubs are cool.

Lamont

~William Drummond

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Nice work.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Nice job! Care to make me a set now??
    Owner & Chief Instructor
    Law Enforcement Asst Instructor
    Krav Fit Now
    www.kravfitnow.com
    281-687-4183

Thanks

http://www.franksupply.com/rattan_po...tanwithoutskin
    haha wish i had known before i bought those dowels.. maybe someday ill make some from Rattan..

Thanks

Most of the escrima sticks leave the skin on, skinned rattan shreds way too easy. Of course if you aren't doing contact drills then this wouldn't be a problem.

Lamont

~William Drummond

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

i have an oldskool mentality that if you make the weapon yourself it becomes a part of you, as opposed to you becoming one with a weapon someone else made..

any advice?
    I don't think the Old School guys had a choice.... But I would make some safety sticks, pvc pipe, plumbers pipe wrapping and a bunch of electrical tape rapped around to save some coin.

My advice: Keep that level of enthusiasm, but don't get suckered into the "old school" stuff...Logic is the word of the day. If it didn't take away from your training and you enjoyed it, rock on!!!!!

jb

p.s. I got mine here in bulk...
    http://www.kali-eskrima.com/cart/rattanstick.htm

Thanks

yeah im making a foam club for doing techniques, we have them at the school but id rather have my own... and yes the club drills are contact.. just light though. shouldn't be a problem with the oak.

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

I am assuming that you will be using the set clubs for Arnis or Escrima. You didn't say. While the oak clubs will last a while ,they will tend to dent and splinter, possibly even break. Most Arnis Sticks are made of Rattan. It is a vine made up of thousands of fibers. It gives and doesn't break and dent.
    Also it is probably half as heavy. That is very important in the speed you need in Arnis. I would put the oak sticks on the wall for display ( you did a nice job on them) and get a set of Rattan ones. We have been in Arnis ovr 25 years and that is our experience.

I an Most Respectfully,
    Sifuroy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links