Thread: an embarrassing moment in class the other day

Thanks

Default an embarrassing moment in class the other day

Well I had an embarrassing moment in class the other day and it has stuck with me, well to put in a better way it has been on my mind ever since.

In our class when we are working on a new technique or even if we are practicing the techs we know. We partner up and our instructor will call out an attack or sometimes the name of a tech, and we take off working that tech until another is called out. This has been the case since I have been at this school about 11 months now. Well this class we did our normal warm up then our instructor told us to come to attention, then he said when “I call out a tech name and say go I want you to just bust it out”. He didn’t even wait a sec and called out a tech and said go. It was like I left my brain at home I just froze, I had twenty techs going through my mind so fast but I could not remember what I was supposed to be doing. Then he called out another and said GO! I was standing there thinking wow, just wow, maybe I should hand my instructor back my belt and tie a white belt around my waist. And it that was not bad enough I was the high ranking belt in the class that night (other than my instructor) here are all these lower belt ranks looking for me to show them what we all should be doing and I am frozen and feeling what in the heck is wrong with me tonight. After my instructor called out a few more I think the last one was five swords it was like my brain woke up and I was able to zip that last one out a few times. At that point my instructor had us stop and began to tell us how we can only rise to the level of our training and practice. “We can never rise beyond what we practice. “ I felt bad but I do practice maybe not 2 hours a day but I go through the techs and forms I know at home. Then work with a partner in class.

The other thing that gets me when in class and we partner up and work techs, I have no problem. Most of the time even when the instructor calls out a tech and my partner does the wrong attack I can just do the right tech for the attach thrown. The spontaneous attacks I seem to get right though with out to much problem other than maybe adding a strike here or there, or accidentally doing five swords in place of defying the storm.

Anyone else ever feel like they left there brain at home in class? It’s been bugging me ever since that night.
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,157 Posts

Default Re: an embarrassing moment in class the other day

We all have the "brain fart" days. I tend to get them regularly. A little memory job, and I'm ok. Sometimes. Yesterday however, wasn't one of those. We were working on some disarms, and I know these cold. Yet, even after being walked through them in babysteps, it just wasn't working. Stress and lack of sleep were the culprit in my case.

Don't let it get to you.
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

You're definately not alone. I posted something similar not too long ago when I had a major brain-fart. There are simply times when our brains go on vacation. LOL. I don't think your instructor was trying to make you feel bad or anything. Sometimes you can find out how really well you 'know' a technique when asked to perform it outside of the normal class "routine."

I tell students they can stop practicing when they have done as many repetitions of, let's say "Delayed Sword" for instance, as I have And unless I just suddenly stopped "Kenpoing" thats not likely to happen. So....get to practice! LOL. Repetition is the key! Now let me see ya do "Mace of Aggression" 400 times!!!
    1......2.......3.....4.....5.....6.....7....8.. keep going ....9....10.... just 390 more to go!.....11....12..
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Try flashcards of the tech or recording them out of order onto tape and playing them back. Alot of students get so used to running them off the tech sheets that they can do the official order just fine, but have trouble when things are random. The Kenpo Kards would be useful for this as well.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks

You are not alone.

I went to a tournament last weekend and judged for several hours. Then it was my turn to jump up and do form 4 and then almost immediately to spar.

The kata was ... okay.

The sparring was a bit embarrassing. I stood there, in my fighting stance, zoned out. All of a sudden, it occured to me that I'm supposed to be sparring and that to spar, movement is required.

So I started moving around, etc.

I didn't win.

Although, I don't know how she scored with that backknuckle to the head, when my head was clearly up my keister at the time.

Hmmm

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

One other thing.....it could always be worse.....
    like the time I was rollin and split the crotch out of my pants....it was, a rather large tear...and quite drafty. LOL!
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

Thanks

If your instructor only called out drills that you were already good at, what would be the point?

You show humility in your posts and it is a pleasant trait to see...

Remember the higher you get in rank, the more techniques or variations you will need to remember also- just make sure that if you do not do the correct technique, that you at least do something!

My teacher used to do that drill all the time and when I could not remember that technique (at that moment) I busted something else out!
    The above is just my opinion.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard
    One other thing.....it could always be worse.....
    like the time I was rollin and split the crotch out of my pants....it was, a rather large tear...and quite drafty. LOL!
    How embarr-ass-ing

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    Although, I don't know how she scored with that backknuckle to the head, when my head was clearly up my keister at the time.

Hmmm

--Amy
    I love the way you put that!! That’s funny. I think I would have a hard time with watching everyone then getting up and doing the form myself. In class when we make a tech line for some reason I can’t watch the person before me doing their tech or it will mess me up when I do mine. Maybe with time I will be able to correct that.

CC. “Sometimes you can find out how really well you 'know' a technique when asked to perform it outside of the normal class routine."

I think that is the part that has me down on myself I think, I got a little big for my britches “ as far as what I thought I knew” and we as a class were shown that we still have MUCH work to do.

Blindside- I see what you’re saying in getting used to the order that the techs are listed. In class my instructor seems to never really go in any particular order. But I like the idea of the flash cards I guess I need to find a place that sells then and pick up a set.

Mr. Hubbard – Wow yes that would fall under worse LOL Lets just hope you weren’t going commando that day LMAO.

Dianhsuhe—“You show humility in your posts and it is a pleasant trait to see”
    Thank you, I feel like in the ways of Kenpo I am just in Pre K. I have a long, long way to go. But I also look forward to the journey
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

Thanks

Blindside- I see what you’re saying in getting used to the order that the techs are listed. In class my instructor seems to never really go in any particular order. But I like the idea of the flash cards I guess I need to find a place that sells then and pick up a set.
    I did mine on 3x5 cards, put the name of the tech on one side, and the attack and a brief description on the other. Then I got nerdy and color coded them by rank so I could rapidly sort them after I had shuffled them.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2004hemi
    Mr. Hubbard – Wow yes that would fall under worse LOL Lets just hope you weren’t going commando that day LMAO.
    No, but the ladies did get a view I think. It was, definately embarassing. lol
    Of course, I had to borrow pants so we could eat afterwards. heh.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Sounds like your instructor threw you'r class a curveball. The embaressing part sounds like everybody else was able to hit it but you.

So, with this point of view, do we still call it an embarrasing moment or a humbling moment? Is there really a differance?

I'd say it was a humbling moment, and a good class, cause you learned something.
    I'm not sure how to answer my own question, "Is there a differance?", I don't think so but will have to think about it more. anybody else?
    This is how I wear my Kenpo suit. Still trying to learn how to put it on and it's a little wrinkled, but it is starting to feel pretty good on me.

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

OH I understand exactly what you're talking about... those are what I call my "Rain Man" days and unfortunatley I have more than I would like. Oh, and I'm a blonde so I'm constantly getting razzed about that as well. Go figure.

Just remember to live through it, laugh about it and learn with it.
    "Second chances they don't never matter, people never change
    Once a whore you're nothing more i'm sorry that'll never change
    And about forgiveness, we're both supposed to have exchanged
    I'm sorry honey, but i'm passing up, now look this way...*" --Paramore "Misery Business"

(*this is where a punch would be landed)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links