Thread: A few questions about some of the Kenpo associations

Thanks

Default A few questions about some of the Kenpo associations

I hope this does not stir up a wasp nest but I am very curious and would like to know if there are any advantages.

Ever since I started in Kenpo and found this site and Martial talk I have noticed there seems to be a lot of association , IKKA, IKCA, LTKKA, AKKA, WKKA, SWKKA, and I am guessing there are others. And since my instructor was a member of one association but decided to leave for his own reasons long before I ever started at this school, I am left wondering if there would be any advantage to me joining one or more of the groups out there. I am not of high rank, I am very new to Kenpo and the school I attend does not seem to be associated with any of the lines of teaching other than Mr. Parker.

If it would be to my advantage to join one or more, does any one have any advise or direction I should be looking. Would one be better suited for a beginner? I have to think each would have a lot to offer in there own way but I would not be willing to switch to another school to join.

So any advice or tips from those who know a lot more than I do would be much appreciated
    Last edited by hemi; 03-10-2006 at 06:59 PM.
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: A few questions about some of the Kenpo associations

Well, I made it to first black with out being a member of an association and because I was part of a really great school I didn't feel as though I was missing out on much. However, I'm now a member of the LTKKA, and do feel that there are some added benefits to being one. Besides patches, discounts, newsletters and such, it feels like being part of a group - part of a family. I'm w/out a home dojo presently and it makes me feel more connected.

BTW, are you part of Keith Gorham's school? I noticed you are in Forney.
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

SUPPORT KENPOTALK:http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/payments.php

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

BTW, There's already a thread going about associations:

Various Associations
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

SUPPORT KENPOTALK:http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/payments.php

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

You've got some good resources right here. Your instructor, of course, is the primary resource you will use. Organizations are good for networking, getting seminars together, being recognized for rank, etc...

I wouldn't say one is any better than another. As long as you're learning the base of American Kenpo you're good to go! Once you reach a level where you want to strike out on your own or open up your own school it will be more important to you. Because then, you will need the support and networking advantages of being in an organization. They can give you tips on recruiting students, managing classes and finances, etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about it right now. Just focus on your training and get good at it!

IMHO =)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cameypsaromatis
    BTW, are you part of Keith Gorham's school? I noticed you are in Forney.
    Yes I am a student at Texas Kenpo Karate under Mr. Gorham his school is located in Mesquite. My aviator is a patch from my uniform that I scanned.

I really like this school and the way Mr. Gorham teaches I guess I was real lucky that this was the first Kenpo school I looked at and it’s real close to my house.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

that's a cool patch.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    Once you reach a level where you want to strike out on your own or open up your own school it will be more important to you. Because then, you will need the support and networking advantages of being in an organization. They can give you tips on recruiting students, managing classes and finances, etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about it right now. Just focus on your training and get good at it!

IMHO =)
    CC.

Thanks that does clear some things up, since I am a longggggg way from any of the above listed reasons to join.

As for the Focusing on my training, yes I need to get my head more in the game. I am going to work on remembering the names not just being able to react when an attach is coming at me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 2004hemi
    Yes I am a student at Texas Kenpo Karate under Mr. Gorham his school is located in Mesquite. My aviator is a patch from my uniform that I scanned.

I really like this school and the way Mr. Gorham teaches I guess I was real lucky that this was the first Kenpo school I looked at and it’s real close to my house.
    Sounds like you really lucked out in finding a good school

Associations serve a purpose, unfortunately serveral of them think there purpose is to get as much money from members as possible.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Assosciations have a lot of good points, and some drawbacks. One of the main focuses of our assosciation is standardization of the base material. Different organizations have different focuses. Before deciding to join an organization, if you belong to a school and the school does not, you may want to talk to your instructor. You may pick an organization whose ideals and ways of doing things clash with your school's.
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2004hemi
    If it would be to my advantage to join one or more, does any one have any advise or direction I should be looking. Would one be better suited for a beginner? I have to think each would have a lot to offer in there own way but I would not be willing to switch to another school to join.

So any advice or tips from those who know a lot more than I do would be much appreciated
    If you have a good instructor, I honestly don't see the need for you to join an organization, particularly if your instructor isn't already part of one. The only benefit that I see is that some orgs offer private seminars for their members, but in my experience, most of them are open to outsiders participating if you ask nicely.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links