Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most intimidating

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Default Most intimidating

For all of us newbies and those who've been studying for a long time:

What is/was the most intimidating thing you saw when you started studying Kenpo? Was it a weapon form or was it a tech?

Please elaborate...
    "Second chances they don't never matter, people never change
    Once a whore you're nothing more i'm sorry that'll never change
    And about forgiveness, we're both supposed to have exchanged
    I'm sorry honey, but i'm passing up, now look this way...*" --Paramore "Misery Business"

(*this is where a punch would be landed)

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Most intimidating

I would have to say the speed and power of the advanced students. I dont mean that some where fast and some where powerful, I mean people could move faster that you could blink and hit you so hard you didnt know whether to fall or stand because you where so dazed, if you werent nocked out that is.

Thanks

It was watching a form and going "How am I ever gonna do that??!!!"
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Mine has to have been watching Sifu taking on multiple attackers without batting an eye. I just stood there thinking, "Oh, yeah... I'm so going to get bruised and battered in here".

Then I watched Papa Bill Schultze do Staff Set and all I could think was, "how am I going to not knock myself or someone else out?"
    "Second chances they don't never matter, people never change
    Once a whore you're nothing more i'm sorry that'll never change
    And about forgiveness, we're both supposed to have exchanged
    I'm sorry honey, but i'm passing up, now look this way...*" --Paramore "Misery Business"

(*this is where a punch would be landed)

Thanks

The most intimidating things to me were and to some degree still are. Watching the way my instructor moves when doing techís and forms smooth like glass. I can see how he makes it all look so easy and it just flows. Then when I do it in my mind I can see myself doing it smooth as glass but in reality itís more like rip tide LOL. I know I have a lot of work and itís only been 10 months now. Also just the volume of info Kenpo has to offer. Not just learning the techs and the forms but learning to put bits and pieces of two three or more techís together. Also learning what tech can be interchangeable against an attack. Take for instance I e mailed my instructor the other night wondering if five swords could be used in the same way as defying the storm. Both are against a right round house attack, one being a punch and one with the use of a club. I just didnít see a way to remove the club when I was covering out using five swords.
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

A 10 year old twig of a boy tossing a grown man through the air over the mat to have him land on the rubberized aerobics floor and bounce into the wall.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Ė Charles A. Beard

Thanks

hey.. I'm back!!!

Most intimidating thing about Kenpo... Probibly the volume of techniques.
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

How easy seniors make it look. As the saying goes, It's hard work making it look this easy.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

For me it was the first time I went to a sparring class and saw the brown and black belts going at it. I thought "Please God let me live".
    The sphincter pucker factor was off the charts.
    "I dont know if you know this but......I am kind of a big deal. I have many leather bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogony" Ron Burgandy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerstripes
    For me it was the first time I went to a sparring class and saw the brown and black belts going at it. I thought "Please God let me live".

LMAO that about made me fall out of my chair
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

Thanks

It probably looked like WWIII didn't it? My moment was watching my two instructors go at it. At that time Mr. Petro was a 7th degree black belt and Mr. Regis was a 2nd degree black belt. Everybody cleared off the mat that night.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Working out w/ one of the BB's, Billy. After he flat out elbowed me in the face and my teeth went through my lip. I was very cautious when dummying for him after that. Zero control.
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

SUPPORT KENPOTALK:http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/payments.php

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cameypsaromatis
    Working out w/ one of the BB's, Billy. After he flat out elbowed me in the face and my teeth went through my lip. I was very cautious when dummying for him after that. Zero control.
    I've seen people quit after something like that. Sometimes they won't come back after witnessing the high ranks beat the crap out of each other. Wade and I discussed it years ago and decided to "tone it down" in front of the public. It helped retain students. Now we only get crazy when it's just us higher ranks (like browns and up.) I miss the old beat downs though. I don't get them as often as I'd like anymore.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Ė Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    It probably looked like WWIII didn't it? My moment was watching my two instructors go at it. At that time Mr. Petro was a 7th degree black belt and Mr. Regis was a 2nd degree black belt. Everybody cleared off the mat that night.
    It did, I couldnt believe what I was seeing. What I did not realize as a newbie was these werent the guys I had to fear. The Brown and Blacks have outstanding control, its those purple/blue belts I should have been worried about. They are at the point where they are moving pretty well but the control isnt all that it could be yet.
    "I dont know if you know this but......I am kind of a big deal. I have many leather bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogony" Ron Burgandy

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

I was intimidated by all the coordination it takes to pull some of these things off.
    This is how I wear my Kenpo suit. Still trying to learn how to put it on and it's a little wrinkled, but it is starting to feel pretty good on me.

Thanks

It did, I couldnt believe what I was seeing. What I did not realize as a newbie was these werent the guys I had to fear. The Brown and Blacks have outstanding control, its those purple/blue belts I should have been worried about. They are at the point where they are moving pretty well but the control isnt all that it could be yet.
    Ah yes I remember those days. I don't think I event got mycontrol until after my 2nd brown test. But event now trying to teach people at that stage of purple and blue how to spar is frightening especially when I am teaching these guys that are like 6' 5" 250 lbs. They pack a big punch LOL.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

I think for me, the first intimidating thing was the flexibility of my first instructor.......first class, he dropped to the floor in the front splits like it was nothing. He could stand there with perfect balance and have one leg straight up in the air next to his head or do a bunch of kick variations while spinning in a circle on one leg. He had amazing leg/torso strength. After that, it was, as someone else mentioned, the volume of info. I was only 13 when I started and I thought "How am I ever going to remember all these moves and names". Then I saw my instructor do Long 4 and I thought I would never get there!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Good question! Most beginners find "Something" daunting!
    I found forms the most daunting I think. Form one....nah!! But the first form I really paid attention too (watched others at a Kenpo Camp) was Form III. I was both impressed and intimidated! "I'll never be able to do all that! ...well, if I can...I'll not be as Smooooth as she was!" ...stuff like that. I should have known better. I was new to Kenpo, but not to the martial arts. I'd been one of the assistant instructors at another school in my hometown; I'd seen lots of people who couldn't walk straight and chew gum at the same time improve through consistent effort....and especially simply "showing up" all the time.
    So I gave it the effort and I gave it the time...and now the forms don't intimidate me, they inspire me!

Good question!

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Thanks

I think it was the brown belts at the time. My first time walking into a studio, I watched as a brown tested for his first brown. I got to see the system pretty much from the ground up-that was intimidating!

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Mine was watching my sensei do forms, i was like um....Is that extra credit or do i have to learn those lol..

Second was at Muay Thai, I was like um...those thai kicks look like they hurt, Um....do i have to get in the ring cant i just pretend???

I guess it just took time lol..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links