Thread: Kenpo Curriculum

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Kenpo Curriculum

I have a little bit of familiarity with TKD. It appears that the EPAK curriculum has allot more in it than the typical TKD curriculum. Is this typical? Also, another post stated that a Brown Belt test took 4 hours to complete. Is that also typical?

Thanks

Default Re: Kenpo Curriculum

Four hours for a brown belt test? Good God. I hope not.

We do have a ton of material in Kenpo, but that's what keeps us coming back.

As for the tests, I've always felt that the test happens every day you are in class. The 'test' is just showing off, a rite of passage.

That's my feeling.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Amy,

I had 2 students go for Brown Belt and 4 for black belt...that is why the test was 4 hours.

The candidates did all of the forms and sets, most techniques, and about a zillion full-contact fights.

That is why it took so long.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Yeah, as Jamie said, I think it depends on your particular testing panel and how many people are testing. My test for black belt was nearly 5 hours- we had a HUGE panel and there were about 8 of us testing for various ranks. When it got to those of us testing for 1st and second black, a couple of us had to demonstrate and explain our thesis techniques (required for the test- you make up 10 techniques and then demo them on an opponent and then demo the kata you've made out of them) - so that took awhile. Then they all disappeared into the back to "discuss" the test before coming back to tell us what they thought as a group. We also got called in to the instructor's office one at a time to tell them how we thought we did, what we thought we did right and wrong and what we thought we could improve on.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I've heard that a Kenpo syllabus is usually full of more requirements than other arts. Within our own school it's only the black belt tests that take any real time. Approximatley 3-4 hours as the individual is required to demonstrate that the retained all the information from the previous belt levels including forms, techniques, basics, principles, etc....
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    Four hours for a brown belt test? Good God. I hope not.
    Mine was, and our brown and black tests are private, just you and the panel. I don't remember too much of it....

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GTKenpo
    I have a little bit of familiarity with TKD. It appears that the EPAK curriculum has allot more in it than the typical TKD curriculum. Is this typical? Also, another post stated that a Brown Belt test took 4 hours to complete. Is that also typical?
    I know it took about 4 hours for my first degree black bslt test. There were a lot of people testing that night and we had to do every technique and form including ours plus a personal form and staff set. I was so happy I was only 16 at that point I know now I would never had made it. And our style is more sophisticated than other styles of martial arts and this does include TKD. I have taken a few classes at school hhere in TKD and I could see the major difference.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    Amy,

I had 2 students go for Brown Belt and 4 for black belt...that is why the test was 4 hours.

The candidates did all of the forms and sets, most techniques, and about a zillion full-contact fights.

That is why it took so long.
    Hi Jamie,
    My brown belt tests were just me and were about an hour and a half. And I did practically everything. It's better when there are others testing too. It gives you a minute or so in between to catch your breath.

At least at the end of the test, they know they earned it!

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

Our advanced belt tests (3rd, 2nd and 1st Brown) run about 3 hours in length. There is a written test handed in before testing. There are physical requirements completed before testing. The day of the test, Forms, Sets, Techniques, Sparring, and lots of questions.

Once passing a test, the student is placed on review - a white tip added to the belt. No new material is given out. During the next test cycle, they re-take the test and cover all the material over again. Upon completion of the review test, the white tip is removed, and the student starts moving toward the next belt level.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GTKenpo
    Also, another post stated that a Brown Belt test took 4 hours to complete. Is that also typical?
    Gee, I wish mine had only been 4 hours...it was a little over 6 hours (granted, 3rd brown is comprehensive and there were two of us going for 3rd and two going for 2nd-brown, but still... )

My 1st Black test (also comprehensive) was about 5 hours and there were only two of us...I almost died
    The test: "Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so, and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul?" ~ Col. Rex Applegate

Matt K.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Most instructors are well aware before you ever start a test whether or not you know your material. One of the reasons for the test is to put some anxiety on you, the reason for the length is to see how bad you really want it.
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

My 1st Black in Kajukenbo took about 5.5 hours. My test included all katas, self defense techniques, sparring, judo throws, judo rolls, judo chokes and tilts, and judo matches. I thought that I was going to go to the hospital after that beating!
    Owner & Chief Instructor
    Law Enforcement Asst Instructor
    Krav Fit Now
    www.kravfitnow.com
    281-687-4183

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Mine has taken a lifetime and still isn't over.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links