Thread: specific stretch

Thanks

Default specific stretch

Ok... question from an older.. (not old) just older guy.

Side and primarily round kicks.. as I kick higher I find that I get a sharp pain in the outside of my hip. Almost feels like I am not opening my hips enough.

Anyone know of a good way to stretch out the muscle on the outside of the hip?

Thanks

Default Re: specific stretch

Quote Originally Posted by MrBunny
    Ok... question from an older.. (not old) just older guy.

Side and primarily round kicks.. as I kick higher I find that I get a sharp pain in the outside of my hip. Almost feels like I am not opening my hips enough.

Anyone know of a good way to stretch out the muscle on the outside of the hip?
    Leaning side to side while putting your arms above your head like you are sticking a staff into the ground works your hips. So does doing circles with your upper body while keeping your hips still.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

yea.. that gets the part of the hip where the oblique meet the hip.. I was more talking about a bit forward of that.. it's kind of.. very top front part where the thigh meets the hip... Ohh I wish I had my gray’s anatomy book here...

Thanks

It sounds like your hip flexor, but you didn't mention any pain doing the front kick.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks

Front kick is no problem.. I can easily kick somone in the chin equal to my height.

Now get this... I can throw a round kick to about the same height with only a littel discomfort if i am not warmed up... but... if I throw a combination kick low high the muscle in my hip feels like it is going rip appart. It's very odd.

and that is a combination round round.. so it's not like I have to roll my hip from a front to round or even reposition my chamber like from a side to round.. just raise the knee.... maybe I just need to do more wall exercises to strengthen that muscle... I always hated doing those....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

My favorite stretching is what I call the reading stretch.

1. Grab a book you will enjoy reading

2. Lay on the floor on your back with you butt against the wall and your legs up against the wall toes pointed at the ceiling.

3. Open your legs so that they go outward down the fal until you feel the slightest of discomfort.

4. Start reading, every other page, grab your thighs and pull your legs open just a touch more.

In the beginning only do this stretch for 20 - 30 minutes, later you can go as long as you want. I have had many people do this stretch daily and achieve fulls splits with in 90 days.

Hopefully this exercise will help you

This stretch will help you get better roundhouse and side kicks, but is does take time to get there.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,175 Posts

Been there. The first question is whether it's a matter of stretching or proper form in the kick? Not getting a full pivot on the standing foot, and throwing the kick before the chambered leg is in the proper position caused me a lot of pain until I started doing it right. It was really obvious on the wheel kick, due to the torque of throwing the kick while the hip is still turning over. The foot pivot on the side thrust makes a difference too, although to a lesser extent.

As for stretching, I find bar work has worked best for me. Grab the bar with one hand, lift the leg into the chambered position at a level where it doesn't hurt and do isometric kicks. This both warms us and strengthens the muscles involved. It's also a great way to develop muscle memory.

Thanks

My mechanics are pretty good.. not the best as I prefer grappeling and hand techniques to kicks.. but they have definantly improved over the last 4 years.

Yes, I remember when I learned how much better things work when you get your ground foot pointed in the right direction... instant results.

That reading stretch sounds good.. as I love to read I will have to do that..

the bar and isometrics... sigh.. yea I know I need to do those... I really do...

ok, I promise to stop neglecting my muscle training.

Thanks

some kicks are just bad news anyway. they act on the hip joint negatively causing undue stress.
    doing a roundhouse kick for me lately seems almost an impossibility, as it causes severe pain in my hips.
    this is a kick that i was able to perform while reaching down and touching the floor at one time.
    side kicks cause minor discomfort.
    crescent kicks, back kicks, and front kicks are the only ones i practice now......and i no longer bother with keeping myself limber enough to do the splits.
    when your body talks to you, it is important to listen to what it says.....and mine tells me no more kicking above the knees.
    if you happen to be at risk for arthritis, it's especially important to take care of those joints.......i dont want bionic hips before im 50.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 909 Posts

I "feel" your pain....literally! I had similar problems. I re-examined the mechanics of the kick..and made some adjustments and that helped a little.

The wall stretch is good. I sometimes use a stretching machine soley for this purpose.

Also, after an aeorobic workout when you're all limbered up and your body temp is higher than normal, you can also try some balistic stretching. Do side/stiff leg lifs. You must make sure you don't do these 'cold' though as you could really hurt yourself.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links