Thread: Question on Timing Patterns

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Question on Timing Patterns

I posted this question recently in the beginner's forum, and received very helpful feedback from a number of members. One was from Brother John, who suggested that I post my question on the AKKI forum. So, here it goes:
    I am looking into taking American Kenpo classes. However, there seems to be some variations within the Ed Parker system. One which I am curious about is the AKKI. According to my research, one of the main differences is in what Mr. Paul Mills has called "Rhythmic Timing Patterns". Could someone please explain what exactly that means, and how this differs from Mr. Parker's original Kenpo system?
    Note: Now that I have received a little more education from some of Kenpo's more seasoned practitioners on this subject, I realize that I should have worded the question a bit differently. However, I wanted to post my question in its original form as in the beginners section under the title, Rhythmic Timing Patterns.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Question on Timing Patterns

Quote Originally Posted by Jcraig View Post
    I posted this question recently in the beginner's forum, and received very helpful feedback from a number of members. One was from Brother John, who suggested that I post my question on the AKKI forum. So, here it goes:
    I am looking into taking American Kenpo classes. However, there seems to be some variations within the Ed Parker system. One which I am curious about is the AKKI. According to my research, one of the main differences is in what Mr. Paul Mills has called "Rhythmic Timing Patterns". Could someone please explain what exactly that means, and how this differs from Mr. Parker's original Kenpo system?
    Note: Now that I have received a little more education from some of Kenpo's more seasoned practitioners on this subject, I realize that I should have worded the question a bit differently. However, I wanted to post my question in its original form as in the beginners section under the title, Rhythmic Timing Patterns.
    You reminded me of an old thread on this board: http://kenpotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=409

I think Mr. Jacob may have answered your question in the above linked thread. You can get the gist of what these drills are and aren't by some of the comments made there.

As for me personally, I really like what little I know of what the AKKI does. I've definitely got a lot of respect for what I've seen. It may be a little hard to connect with them, I know, but as a whole the group seems very helpful.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to OSKenpo For This Useful Post:

Mikael151 (08-23-2009)

Thanks

yup, on the old post Doc and Brother John both hit it right on the head. it's important to remember. they are trained as DRILLS and can have many applications. but in each one you need to remember you have to wait for reactions.

iv been told many times one of the main difference between a black belt and a beginner is being able to regulate timing. its good to be able to blaze through it lightning fast. because it shows you can launch one of those attacks that fast, and you may need to use 1 or 2 movements from the drill as fast as possible. but if you cant stagger your timing to adjust for the attacker's responses, then you wont be hitting where you need to for the technique to work. (i get told every now and then to slow it down, or change the timing for the technique).

the AKKI from what i can tell has moved less from speed and all that to power generation with less movement/energy and refinement, from what iv seen in videos on youtube mr mills talking, and what iv heard from seminars.
    Brian Sheets
    VKKSI Kenpo 1st Black

Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it." ~ Unknown
    "Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting, but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to madeku For This Useful Post:

J Ellis (08-24-2009),Mikael151 (08-24-2009),OSKenpo (08-24-2009)

Thanks

There are no stupid questions. There are some great American Kenpoists here on this site. Ask away! I'll try to help as much as I can.
    I don't know of an AKKI school in San Diego. If you can't find one near you, it's not the end of the world. There HAS to be a good Kenpo school near you, right LuckyKboxer?
    Now it's true, the rythmic timing patterns are great learning tools, but there are other things Kenpoists can be working on. Basics: Stances, blocks, strikes, maneuvers, specialized moves and methods! Post the resume of any school you're considering on this site and we'll be like your Kenpo carfax, lol!
    Best of luck to you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links