Thread: What seminars would you like to see offered in March?

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default What seminars would you like to see offered in March?

Anyone want to offer some seminar ideas. What woud you like to see offered or what material would you like to see covered in March?

Tim Kulp
    Westminster, MD

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: What seminars would you like to see offered in March?

I'd like to see maybe a seminars for school owners.
    Sub-topics could include:

Starting a demo team
    Class schedules(adults vs. children)
    Sparring class
    Childrens curriculum ideas
    Vision for the future of the AKKI or cutting edge information
    Discussion on the themes and layout of the Curriculum

Maybe a round-table dicscussion approach?

How about a one-day tournament? Now that is what I think would be cool! To see AKKIers from around the world compete in sparring, forms, weapons, Self-Defense techniques, etc. That would definately be an E-ticket!

I've always enjoyed the form semnars. I pick up "nuggets" evertime I go.

I'd like to see more "beginner-type", ie. White, Yellow, Orange classes to complement(or during) the advance classes. Some of these students may just need to refine their stuff.

This list is just off cuff. I'll think about it some more.

Anyone else with ideas?

Joseph

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Well, interesting to see that no one else has replied, yet.

As I thought this question over, I have come to this conclusion. I do not know if I would like to see something in particular. Rather, all I'd like to see is.... what they are offering so I can start planning what I am going to take. I see this in others as well. Waiting to see the schedule is like waiting to open a present that has been sitting under the Christmas tree. I have never been disapointed in a seminar that has been offered.

However, one thing I'd like to see is Mr. Connolly up on stage with Mr. Mills performing some new devastaing technique or drill. Yeah, that's the ticket!( I know that's gonna cost me ).

I forgot who wrote it, but someone stated to come in shape. I think that is one great piece of advice. This camp is challenging both physically and mentally, and you will be completely rung out each day.

Joseph

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I think karateminister spoke wisely. I'm sure we could all come with some particular area that we would enjoy having emphasized. Each and every one of us has some area that could use some extra work or explanation (some of us, like myself, have several areas ). However, I think that, because we are all different and have our own personal deficiencies, coming to some common ground on what we'd like to see will be difficult, to say the least. To echo karateminister further, I also agree that the different offerings put forth by our great instructors are always sure to induce some salivation. Not to mention, they're usually more than I can handle in one weekend, no matter how hard I try.

In any case, because of the unique situation in which the AKKI finds itself (namely that of moving in a new direction with regards to Kenpo, new curriculum, expanded principles, different emphases, etc.), I think Mr. Mills and the board are doing the right thing in attempting to systematically put forth the new material they've designed. And obviously, the Las Vegas Camp is the best venue to expose the maximum number of people to all the new material. I think the Vegas Camps will have to remain focused on this exposure as its main goal for some time to come, for good reason.

That being said, I think it would be a good idea to use the Vegas venue to offer a seminar that explicitly focuses on the new directions that the AKKI is taking. Karateminister mentioned a couple topics earlier:

Vision for the future of the AKKI or cutting edge information
    Discussion on the themes and layout of the Curriculum
    If the rest of the AKKI members are anything like me, and I have a sneaky suspicion that they are, I'm sure we'd all like to have a discussion regarding the thought process that led Mr. Mills to the creation of our organization, the alteration of older techniques, the design of new techniques, the themes that unite the system, the expansion of principles/concepts as the system grows, etc., etc. I think any one of us could think of a million such examples. In my opinion, a deeper understanding of the origins/history/motivations/guiding principles/etc. enhances our skill both physically and mentally. In addition, it would increase our ability to speak about Kenpo, the AKKI, our techniques, and martial arts in general.

Still, regardless of what eventually gets put on the schedule, I doubt that any of us would walk away disappointed.

Looking forward to March,
    MH
    Man has only those rights he can defend.

Les
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Something that I think would be useful is an 'instructors conference', where we could all sit down and discuss matters relating to teaching our students and pool our experiences (successes and problems) so as to learn from each others experience.

For example, Joseph mentioned a kids curriculum, and I showed mine to Mr Mills several years ago and he seemed happy enough with it. I'd be more than happy to share it with other instructors.

We could share experiences........I have a problem with x, has anyone been in this situation, and do they have a solution?

Any ideas for recruitment, student retention, teaching intros etc. etc

Between us we have a vast knowledge, other than the actual Kenpo, that we should be sharing.

Les
    I'm only here to learn

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Les,
    The very seminar you mentioned has been offered a few times. As recent as last March I think. Ms. Owen and Ms. Shear presented the seminar on business strategies, running a studio and such. They have a large school and it's been very successful for many years. They have talked about their black belt club, demo teams, diversification programs, advertising, retention, etc.
    Other suggestions ohters have made are great to hear. Some of that can be addressed here as well.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links