Thread: What is really going on

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default What is really going on

Been a while since anything has been posted. I recieved no response to the ban legion so I guess that is done. Can't really help you when it's a one way street. Haven't heard from Les to tell us what secrets he learned in Ireland. Haven't heard from the Texas boys to let us in how the new school is going. Alot can be shared on this forum for help with studio, teaching, classes, etc. I ran a school for 12 years. In fact it's still running but without me being there. Hows Kansas, Westminster, anywhere else?

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: What is really going on

Mr. Jacob:
    It has been a long time since I have posted. All is well here in Kentucky. I guess everyone is pretty busy with the Holiday season and all. It is also final exam season and that has taken a lot of my time. I'd like to thank my brother, Tim Kulp, for coming out over Thanksgiving and working out with me. We got a lot of good Kenpo-time in. He is a great cook and makes an awesome turkey

Here is a question I would to pose that I don't think has been asked on the forum (maybe it is a dumb question?)... I know it is a little early, but what is the best way to prepare for the upcoming Camp in March? Like anything else in education, you only get something out of an experience if you are willing to work hard to prepare for it (and, of course, work hard during it).

I am not just talking about the physical aspect, but how should one go about selecting which seminars to take. I have noticed in past schedules that there are a few classes running simultaneously at any one time. Should one choose a seminar that addresses personal weaknesses over a seminar in which one finds the topic to be interesting? How many seminars per day can one take and still retain the majority of the material covered in each one. How does one maximize their experience at the Camp? What are goals that one should set for a Camp?

When I go to physics conferences, I tend to attend talks that are in a field in which I am either currently working in or am interested in. I also don't fill my day with too many talks as I tend to burn out no matter how interested I am in the subject. Is that a good way to approach the March Camp?

What are other people's strategies for the March Camp?

Thanks!
    Chris Kulp
    Richmond, KY

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Good question Chris,
    I have most of my students ask me what I think would be best for them and where they are at in their learning. I suggest seminars that are appropriate for their experience and what I think they could use. I have most of my students attend anything Mr. Mills does but if he is teaching an advanced seminar, i have my lower belts attend something that they need in the here and now. My guide is usually what they need at that point in their training but it is their decision. I only tell them from my opinion what I think they need.

As far as getting ready, I would say work your techniques and material for your rank as much as possible so feel comfortable coming and working out. Nothing produces more insecurity than not feeling good about what material you do have. Work it like there is no tomorrow. Mr. Mills always told me when I first got with him and I was feeling overwhelmed with what I felt I needed to learn - "Worry about you know, not what you don't know."
    Hope this helps,
    Alan

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phyziksdoc
    What are other people's strategies for the March Camp?
    Usually there is an advanced topics and a basic topics course. The basic courses tend to work more on mechanics whereas I feel the advanced courses tend to work on communicating new material. Here are classes I'd specifically recommend for you Chris:

Mr. Thompson's Form 1 seminar
    Mr. Jacob & Mr. Wheaton's set seminars
    Mr. Ence's Club Seminar
    Mr. Alsaser's (sp?) seminar after the test
    Mr. Lannon's and Mr. Clark's ground fighting seminars
    Mr. Woodward's firearm seminar

That is if these seminars are offered but usually there is something along these lines available. My greatest peice of advice is have fun. If you feel your brain is getting too full then take a break, hit the chairs with your note pad and take as many notes as possible.

My preparation advice is to about a month before seminar time kick up your intensity in training. Boost your contact with your students and how much contact they give you.

MOST IMPORTANTLY don't go absolutely all out in the first day. You'll be so dead that you won't have anything of quality left for the rest of the weekend. And burning out on the first day usually leads to injuries on the first day.

Just my advice as a semi-frequent seminar goer.

Tim Kulp
    Westminster, MD

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Thanks for all of the advice. I'll keep these things in mind as a prepare for the Camp.

Chris Kulp
    Richmond, KY

Les
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alan J.
    Haven't heard from Les to tell us what secrets he learned in Ireland.
    Actually, I've been twice in November, because Mr Fusciardi and I both have busy schedules in December, so I won't get over there again until January.

The first time I went Mr Fusciardi spent a lot of time helping me tidy up Form 1 and Form 2, compacting my movements, and I also asked him to work with me on the Timing Drills. I also attended Mr Kelly's club and worked on improving my knowledge of the Green belt Techniques.

The second time Mr Fusciardi worked Form 2 with me, adjusting and polishing my movement. We also spent some time (at my request) going over some basics. Always time well spent, in my opinion.

At Mr Kelly's club this time I worked Form 2 some more and also Universal Drills.

All in all pretty basic stuff, but I like to get things right.

We're planning for Mr Fusciardi, Mr Kelly and Mr Croake to come over to England at the end of January, but nothing is finalised yet.

Les
    I'm only here to learn

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alan J.
    ...I recieved no response to the ban legion so I guess that is done...
    Just read this thread for the first time.

I would like to assure you that I was not aware of your attempt to communicate openly with me. I quit visiting this forum for awhile. If it were not for my recent strange experience with what I'm fairly certain was an AKKI technique, I probably would not have returned. [simply because I did not know about some of the changes that Bob has made to this forum]
    I am glad I did sign on again.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Houston we have a problem.
    Namely a damaged knuckle joint in my right foot. If anyone has ever jammed their big toe while kicking you know my pain. Docter said I have the martial equivalent of turf toe common to football players but on the opposite side of the foot. He said it will heal slowly, but will become easier to damage over time due to the joint damage suffered of 20+ yrs of training. As advice to all- ALWAYS form proper weapons, even when going lightly, the concequences are painful. So I've been kinda on the sidelines physically.

As for North Texas Kenpo Karate: it is a good looking school with a solid Instructor in Phillip Bullock. Last I heard he had 10 new students generated from grand opening as well as more than several colored belts whom have migrated from other schools.

Mr. Jacob- Sorry for being a stranger, I've been travelling around the country visiting different refineries for work. Boy is Clinton Iowa cold at 10 degrees snow and 30 mph winds. Burrrrrr

Belated Merry Christmas to all and Happy New Year

Terry McCord
    Houston

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links