Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Alleydog's Studio

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Alleydog's Studio

    I was able to visit Alleydog's studio last night. I had an excellent time. I went in there an I saw him actually teaching. It has been a long time since I have seen an owner teaching classes. Mr. Joe has not taught for a while. I found this to be great. They had shown me great hospitality, I was respected by everybody event though I was from a different organization. I would deffinitely reccomend anybody o go there if they were starting martial ars. Alleydog is a great practitioner of the art. I have not seen many black belts move like he did. It was excellent.

    We did improvisations all night, which was pretty cool. Since i was from the WKKA and thy are the AKKI their techniques are different, there are some techniques that are the same. Such as Five Swords. This allowed m to try alot of things out. Many of the techniques we do were not effective, only efficient. I also had to work with some body three times my size. This gave me a challenge, which I really liked. It allowed me to try diffents things out. I actually had o menouver him around, which was great. And I found some things that do not work and some things that work too good.

    I would deffinetly reccomend this studio to someone who is starting without a doubt. I can not wait to go back there.

    Full salute
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

    "Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"


    "Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

    "A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    London, ON
    Posts
    1,601
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 209 Times in 134 Posts

    Question Re: Alleydog's Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    I was able to visit Alleydog's studio last night. I had an excellent time. I went in there an I saw him actually teaching. It has been a long time since I have seen an owner teaching classes. Mr. Joe has not taught for a while.

    Since i was from the WKKA and thy are the AKKI their techniques are different, there are some techniques that are the same. Many of the techniques we do were not effective, only efficient.
    First, let me be the first to say "two thumbs up" that the head instructor/owner teaches classes at the school. This SHOULD BE the norm. I have a problem with studio owners who don't teach regularly. Students deserve to be taught by the head instructor when they are investing their time and money.

    The question I have, however, was in your comment, "Many of the techniques we do were not effective". Which ones specifically? Because I have to say, all of our techniques are effective, and there are no techniques that wouldn't work on the street in EPAK.


    Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Re: Alleydog's Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    First, let me be the first to say "two thumbs up" that the head instructor/owner teaches classes at the school. This SHOULD BE the norm. I have a problem with studio owners who don't teach regularly. Students deserve to be taught by the head instructor when they are investing their time and money.

    The question I have, however, was in your comment, "Many of the techniques we do were not effective". Which ones specifically? Because I have to say, all of our techniques are effective, and there are no techniques that wouldn't work on the street in EPAK.


    Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com
    In a controlled environtment, Thundering Hammers and Dace Of Death. Unless I would really take out both legs the person I was working with was not going to go down. Nor did he bend over when I hit him with the first shot of thundering hammers. Everthing else definitely worked.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

    "Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"


    "Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

    "A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

  4. #4
    Alleydog is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Posts
    102
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 20 Times in 13 Posts

    Default Re: Alleydog's Studio

    Thank you for the kind words. I’m very proud of my students and it is their dedication and devotion to learning this wonderful system that Mr. Parker left us. This makes teaching enjoyable.
    It was great to have you visit our school and you’re welcome to come back anytime.

    Tim can add some great with ifs to any technique, like want if the attacker is a giant or an offensive lineman. HEHE
    As far as the guys not bending over on thundering hammers, just hit them harder next time. I stress that some resistance is added by the “dummy” when doing techniques.
    Too many schools fall into doing unrealistic training and the “dummy” just going with the technique.
    The realism in training is one of the things I like so much about the AKKI.


    Yours in Kenpo,
    Mike

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Re: Alleydog's Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by Alleydog
    Thank you for the kind words. I’m very proud of my students and it is their dedication and devotion to learning this wonderful system that Mr. Parker left us. This makes teaching enjoyable.
    It was great to have you visit our school and you’re welcome to come back anytime.

    Tim can add some great with ifs to any technique, like want if the attacker is a giant or an offensive lineman. HEHE
    As far as the guys not bending over on thundering hammers, just hit them harder next time. I stress that some resistance is added by the “dummy” when doing techniques.
    Too many schools fall into doing unrealistic training and the “dummy” just going with the technique.
    The realism in training is one of the things I like so much about the AKKI.


    Yours in Kenpo,
    Mike
    Will do. I will make him move next time, hehe.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

    "Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"


    "Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

    "A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    London, ON
    Posts
    1,601
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 209 Times in 134 Posts

    Question Re: Alleydog's Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    In a controlled environtment, Thundering Hammers and Dace Of Death. Unless I would really take out both legs the person I was working with was not going to go down. Nor did he bend over when I hit him with the first shot of thundering hammers.
    The forearm smash didn't bend him over and set him up for the two hammer strikes to the kidney and back of the neck? Were you hitting hard?

    The ridge hand strike to the groin in Dance of Death didn't make him flinch either?


    Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Re: Alleydog's Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    The forearm smash didn't bend him over and set him up for the two hammer strikes to the kidney and back of the neck? Were you hitting hard?

    The ridge hand strike to the groin in Dance of Death didn't make him flinch either?


    Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com
    In a CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT. These did not work because I did not hit him as hard as I could with the forearm. It was the point of taking him down with Dance of Death. THe two main reasons why is because he was too flexible and too tall. Trust me in a realsitic environment every technique should work.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

    "Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"


    "Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

    "A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    London, ON
    Posts
    1,601
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 209 Times in 134 Posts

    Default Re: Alleydog's Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    In a CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT. These did not work because I did not hit him as hard as I could with the forearm. It was the point of taking him down with Dance of Death. THe two main reasons why is because he was too flexible and too tall. Trust me in a realsitic environment every technique should work.
    I agree.

    I just thought it was odd that you stated that many of the techniques you knew were not effective.


    Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

  9. #9
    Hunter's Avatar
    Hunter is offline
    KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Wichita KS
    Posts
    709
    Thanks
    225
    Thanked 183 Times in 112 Posts

    Default Re: Alleydog's Studio

    If you lower the "forearm" just a tad and put the front of the hammerfist in the bladder or groin they bend over pretty quick

    Dance of Death is also a good exercise into how to get a proper "single leg" and borrowed force.
    www.hunterskarate.com

    "I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

    - From the Lone Ranger's Creed




  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Re: Alleydog's Studio

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    If you lower the "forearm" just a tad and put the front of the hammerfist in the bladder or groin they bend over pretty quick

    Dance of Death is also a good exercise into how to get a proper "single leg" and borrowed force.
    hahahah, thanks for the tip.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

    "Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"


    "Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

    "A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

  11. #11
    Alleydog is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Posts
    102
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 20 Times in 13 Posts

    Default Re: Alleydog's Studio

    I have been doing Thundering Hammers for a while and thought I had it
    pretty good but at an AKKI camp Frank Elsasser had me hitting that inward
    forearm with authority. The adjustment was simply hitting from a natural bow stance
    instead of rotating into a forward bow. Now, one would think that through rotation you
    could maximize your power but the structural stabilization of the neutral bow allows
    you to thoroughly transfer more of the inertia of your mass to the “victim” I mean
    “dummy”.
    For you “doubting Tomas’s” like myself, just try it.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Kenpo.dk/Otterup Kenpo Studio Presents.
    By KimDahl in forum Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-21-2005, 04:46 PM