Thread: What do you think??

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default What do you think??

At what belt/skill level do you think a student should start practicing/learning the knives??

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: What do you think??

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo89
    At what belt/skill level do you think a student should start practicing/learning the knives??
    Not that I have enough experience in this system to give a qualified answer, I would have to say that the sooner a student starts his weapon training the better. So much of what we do empty handed can easily be adapted to weapons training.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheEdge2005
    So much of what we do empty handed can easily be adapted to weapons training.
    This is true but if you put a knife in a white belts hand and they are not sure how to use it, than what. They can make an easy mistake and cut themself. I would not mind teaching a lower belt weaponds like escrima sticks or a staff. That way if they mess up it is not leathal.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    This is true but if you put a knife in a white belts hand and they are not sure how to use it, than what. They can make an easy mistake and cut themself. I would not mind teaching a lower belt weaponds like escrima sticks or a staff. That way if they mess up it is not leathal.
    So don't put a live blade in their hand, start out with training weapons. When I started Pekiti-Tirsia, we started with bladed weapon work on the first day. I don't see any reason to wait if you are intent on teaching weapon use.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside
    So don't put a live blade in their hand, start out with training weapons. When I started Pekiti-Tirsia, we started with bladed weapon work on the first day. I don't see any reason to wait if you are intent on teaching weapon use.

Lamont
    Ok wooden weapons are fine. I was thinking that he meant a real knife not a wooden one.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Weapons training, just like training for multiple attackers, grapplers, skilled fighters, starts day one. There is a LOT more to weapons training than simply putting the weapon in the person's hand. Stance, foot work, basic evasion skills (bobbing, weaving, riding, rolling) are all taught throughout the ranks.

To focus on the material for Knife certification I'd recommend Green Belt. I say that because when teaching it helps to group material based on themes. Knife curriculum and green belt have some similar themes, demonstrated very well in Form 3 lvl 1. The constant motion and flow of the Green material compliments the same aspects of the Knife techniques. Form 3's motions have the same "flavor" as Dexterity Set (IMO). Eventually these motions show up every where but like I said, I like to group things and find these two groups to work very well with each other.

Just my thoughts,
    Tim Kulp
    Westminster, MD

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Thank you all for your advise and comments it helps alot

Kenpo89

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I'd say, considering the student's grasp of his/her empty hand material/principles/abilities......somewhere between blue and 1st brown. Typically, when speaking of such matters, I prefer to think in terms of time rather than belt level. With that, I'd say a year's worth of solid training should provide the student with the proper understanding and ability to pick up the knife. After all, within the AKKI curriculum, you'll find knife applications in Yellow belt material; I believe that the solid year of training will develop these abilities in their empty-handed applications, so that transition to weapon-in-hand is that much smoother.

Just my lowly thoughts.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Day one.......the bad guy already had a pretty good start on them anyways. Better to play catch up in the karate studio then at the ATM or apartment complex.
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links