Thread: Lifting Knees in Universal Set

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Lifting Knees in Universal Set

Basic Universal Set has all but one master key movements outlined in the Orange Manual, the lifting knee. Atleast, as far as I know not counting the conclusion of the set just the "meat" of it.

Has anyone attempting to insert kicks into Universal Set or Centerline Set? If so, how, where, and how do students recieve it? I know a lot of my posts are targeted to instructors but lower belts always feel free to toss in your two cents.

This is a question for you AKKI people out there. If you don't know these perticular sets don't comment. This question is about how other AKKI people are exploring the sets.

Thanks,
    Tim Kulp
    Westminster, MD

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Lifting Knees in Universal Set

Your right Tim,
    In the closing is the knee so all the master keys are in there. Sure you can put kicks in and I do from time to time. One of my favorites are TSK's. (thrusting sweep kicks) I have used them more than any other kick except maybe a knee buckle in practical use. I like to time my motion so nothing is arbitrary and it builds rhythm while breaking and disrupting theirs. Remember, look for all the freestyle techniques in the Universal set and you will better see where the kicks can go. Do not violate principles just for the sake of inserting though. If your kicks take off the mark of your opponent then get out of the set and into a technique. This is a great way to build that bridge between the sets and techniqes which incorporates the different stages of range.
    Hope that helps some,
    Alan

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alan J.
    This is a great way to build that bridge between the sets and techniqes which incorporates the different stages of range.
    Thanks Mr. Jacob this does give me some more ideas on different ways to use Universal Set. I will be experimenting with this probably Saturday. What belt would YOU introduce this material at? Universal Set is a prerequisite of Orange but TSK is in the Purple Belt free style techniques. So I'm just curious.

Tim Kulp
    Westminster, MD

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Just last night I introduced it (the concept of the bridge to help your techniques)to a bunch of white belts. In addition to the yellowbelt, I get my instructors to teach them the beginnings of universal set. No opening or closing but the meat of it. It help their hands improve in rhythm, timing, coordination which they need sorely at this level. Then I showed them how the Universal set works on the inside or out as they are taught. I'm not necessarily breaking it all down at this point but showing them where they will be going with it. When they are Orange and higher, I wil break it down for them, have them practice it and show the kicks.
    I admit, I start students on things earlier than what the requirement sheet suggests generally speaking. It's a guideling that also goes with the theme of each belt level. If I think they can handle it and it won't mess up their learning of more important pinciples and concepts as well as their motion or ability to translate, then I do it. First things first. It's hard to explain this kind of flexibility as it can sound like I'm all over the place. I'm not as i have learned from Mr. Mills what is most important at which level(not necessarily which belt level either) by way of what needs to be taught which has no bearing on the curriculum sheet.
    Hope this helps,

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alan J.
    I admit, I start students on things earlier than what the requirement sheet suggests generally speaking. It's a guideling that also goes with the theme of each belt level.
    Hmmmm...that is a lot to think about. I'm going to need to digest this . Thanks for the reply.

Tim Kulp
    Westminster, MD

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

[quote=Alan J "It helps their hands improve in rhythm, timing, coordination which they need sorely at this level."

Ouch, is it really [i]that [/i]bad!?!

HA!

Just kidding, sure feels that way sometimes trying to learn to move like I need to !!!!

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Your personalizing it Jason. ha Your not a white belt either.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links