Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Grafted Methods of Execution

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,383
    Thanks
    1,964
    Thanked 473 Times in 341 Posts

    Default Grafted Methods of Execution

    The title says it all. What do you all think and how can you apply them to

    your Kenpo?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Wichita, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    2,467
    Thanks
    2,019
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

    Default Re: Grafted Methods of Execution

    Great subject Mike!
    Thanks

    How about in 'attacking mace'? I like to begin the punch as a thrust and then put some "English" on it, spiraling it in and through the target by changing it's trajectory like a corkscrew. It sets them up just like I like.
    Happiness is a well set up attacker

    Your Brother (who IS happy)
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Brother John For This Useful Post:

    Mikael151 (08-10-2007)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,383
    Thanks
    1,964
    Thanked 473 Times in 341 Posts

    Default Re: Grafted Methods of Execution

    Good stuff, Brother John. Don't give too much away just yet. Let's see who else is taught this material.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ft. Worth Texas
    Posts
    3,900
    Thanks
    2,878
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

    Default Re: Grafted Methods of Execution

    Quote Originally Posted by Brother John View Post
    Great subject Mike!
    Thanks

    How about in 'attacking mace'? I like to begin the punch as a thrust and then put some "English" on it, spiraling it in and through the target by changing it's trajectory like a corkscrew. It sets them up just like I like.
    Happiness is a well set up attacker

    Your Brother (who IS happy)
    John

    John, the corkscrewing action allows the tranferance of engery that its projected through the target. It is the natural anaytomical rotational structure of the punch as it relates to the movement via the distance of travel. The engery that leaves the strike at the point of contact will continue its path of travel, and disperse throughout the line of projection providing more internal damage. Thats why when someone gets hit and they say they felt it somewhere else, it is due to the projection of the force.

    Your Brother
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

    trgodbm@yahoo.com

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    SpoVaWA
    Posts
    4,387
    Thanks
    1,765
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

    Default Re: Grafted Methods of Execution

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikael151 View Post
    The title says it all. What do you all think and how can you apply them to

    your Kenpo?
    I'm a little hazy on the the corkscrew graft -what ever that means- but, I think every one grafts to thrust when fighting empty handed; however you will notice that is not the best way to use weapons, and thrust should often times be avoided. If by corkscrew you mean going through the target to say a hammer fist. I think I understand but I wouldn't word it as a corkscrew.
    Sean
    Last edited by KenpoChanger; 08-13-2007 at 04:39 PM.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,383
    Thanks
    1,964
    Thanked 473 Times in 341 Posts

    Default Re: Grafted Methods of Execution

    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger View Post
    I'm a little hazy on the the corkscrew graft -what ever that means- but, I think every one grafts to thrust when fighting empty handed; however you will notice that is not the best way to use weapons, and thrust should often times be avoided. If by corkscrew you mean going through the target to say a hammer fist. I think I understand but I wouldn't word it as a corkscrew.
    Sean
    I wanted to start this topic off, because I'm learning about it and hope to

    learn more. Most of us, if not all of us, use it to an extent.

    It could be a "corkscrew motion" but doesn't have to be.

    Three types of motion could be "whipping", "hammering", and "thrusting".

    You could do an outward fingerwhip to the neck and as your

    fingers start to penetrate the target, then, you can "graft" into a thrust

    depending on the results you're looking for.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Parkville
    Posts
    1,115
    Thanks
    330
    Thanked 630 Times in 389 Posts

    Default Re: Grafted Methods of Execution

    grafted method of execution example? easy a front snap kick.. hammering motion, with a bit of thrust at the end for extra penetration. gives it an extra "umph"... try pretending you're squashing a bug on your partner, or bag, or whatever.

    here's a question.. what would our kicks as kenpoists be considered, all starting from the same point? grafted method of attack? grafted angle of execution?
    Brian Sheets
    VKKSI Kenpo 1st Black

    Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it." ~ Unknown
    "Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting, but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt



  9. The Following User Says Thank You to madeku For This Useful Post:

    Mikael151 (08-24-2007)

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ft. Worth Texas
    Posts
    3,900
    Thanks
    2,878
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

    Default Re: Grafted Methods of Execution

    Both
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

    trgodbm@yahoo.com

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    SpoVaWA
    Posts
    4,387
    Thanks
    1,765
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

    Default Re: Grafted Methods of Execution

    Quote Originally Posted by madeku View Post
    grafted method of execution example? easy a front snap kick.. hammering motion, with a bit of thrust at the end for extra penetration. gives it an extra "umph"... try pretending you're squashing a bug on your partner, or bag, or whatever.

    here's a question.. what would our kicks as kenpoists be considered, all starting from the same point? grafted method of attack? grafted angle of execution?
    Kicks are generaly thrust to hammer, where as hand strikes are hammer to thrust, whip to thrust, or not at all.
    Sean

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,383
    Thanks
    1,964
    Thanked 473 Times in 341 Posts

    Default Re: Grafted Methods of Execution

    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger View Post
    Kicks are generaly thrust to hammer, where as hand strikes are hammer to thrust, whip to thrust, or not at all.
    Sean
    Not so much. You can "hammer" a kick ,and once you've made contact, realize there is more damage to be done. You can do all of those in any order, and as long a you combine one or more; you're Grafting Methods of Execution.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,383
    Thanks
    1,964
    Thanked 473 Times in 341 Posts

    Default Re: Grafted Methods of Execution

    Of course, a prime example is to be had in the "Top Spin" vid on Mr. Mills. Right around 8:30 in the vid Mr. Mills goes from a lift, to a thrust, to a whip.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,383
    Thanks
    1,964
    Thanked 473 Times in 341 Posts

    Default Re: Grafted Methods of Execution

    Say we're doing Five Swords and we get to the "uppercut". If you modify your uppercut to a slight thrust, and go for the center-right of your attacker's ribs; you can turn them just enough to open up the space you need to continue into a rising forearm or reverse swordhand to their neck without the need for rebounding or reloading.
    Hope it makes sense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Elk Grove, CA
    Posts
    4,018
    Thanks
    1,163
    Thanked 913 Times in 561 Posts

    Default Re: Grafted Methods of Execution

    I'm not sure I understand the topic.

    Are you meaning things like how an uppercut to the chin can easily turn into a rising forearm strike?

    Or are you meaning things like inserts?

    --Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/


  16. The Following User Says Thank You to amylong For This Useful Post:

    Mikael151 (09-03-2007)

  17. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,383
    Thanks
    1,964
    Thanked 473 Times in 341 Posts

    Default Re: Grafted Methods of Execution

    Quote Originally Posted by amylong View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the topic.

    Are you meaning things like how an uppercut to the chin can easily turn into a rising forearm strike?

    Or are you meaning things like inserts?

    --Amy
    You and that Rising Forearm Strike!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikael151 For This Useful Post:

    amylong (09-03-2007)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. A Question specifically for Dr. Chapel
    By zealous Kenpoist in forum Parker - Chapél / SubLevel 4 Kenpo™
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-03-2012, 01:17 PM
  2. Kenpo Demo Video - Grafted Techniques, Different Angles
    By shockwavekenpo in forum Members in Motion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-07-2008, 05:33 PM
  3. EPAKS Yellow Belt Manual (14 - 17 of 48 pages)
    By Bob Hubbard in forum Ed Parker Sr. Memories from Ed Parker Jr.
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-19-2007, 02:34 PM
  4. Terminology
    By Rob Broad in forum Terminology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-16-2007, 03:46 PM
  5. I.k.k.o. Yellow Belt Terminology
    By KenpoTess in forum Parkers Kenpo (EPAK) - General
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 08:39 PM