Thread: To the AKKI folks

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Question To the AKKI folks

Hello All,
    I've two questions...
    Number One is this:
    Is there one of your studios near me here in York, PA?
    York is approximately 50 miles north of Baltimore, 100 miles west of Philadelphia, and 200 miles east of Pittsburgh...The only one that I have found is near Ocean City, MD., which is over 200 miles away...
    I have e-mailed Mr. Mills on the website asking the same question, and have gotten no response, as of yet...
    I am curious about what goes on inside one of your schools, which leads me into...
    Number Two:
    What's with the "Veil of Secrecy" that you folks surround yourself with? There's a fellow on YouTube that posted videos of himself in action, and I thought that they were fantastic! He then went on to post an older video of Mr. Mills in action, and it was VERY, VERY COOL...I went to watch the video again last night, and he had removed it...After fishing around on the AKKI's forum, I read that he had removed the video out of respect....? It just seems to me that everything is strictly regulated and officially sanctioned, even the stuff that is from the past...I really liked that video, dammit!...
    I am not trying to stir the pot here, please don't take this the wrong way...I am simply curious to know...."What's the big secret"?
    Oh yes, and please forgive the bitching and moaning...But that video rocked!

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: To the AKKI folks

Quote Originally Posted by Black St1300 View Post
    Hello All,
    I've two questions...
    Number One is this:
    Is there one of your studios near me here in York, PA?
    York is approximately 50 miles north of Baltimore, 100 miles west of Philadelphia, and 200 miles east of Pittsburgh...The only one that I have found is near Ocean City, MD., which is over 200 miles away...
    I have e-mailed Mr. Mills on the website asking the same question, and have gotten no response, as of yet...
    I am curious about what goes on inside one of your schools, which leads me into...
    Number Two:
    What's with the "Veil of Secrecy" that you folks surround yourself with? There's a fellow on YouTube that posted videos of himself in action, and I thought that they were fantastic! He then went on to post an older video of Mr. Mills in action, and it was VERY, VERY COOL...I went to watch the video again last night, and he had removed it...After fishing around on the AKKI's forum, I read that he had removed the video out of respect....? It just seems to me that everything is strictly regulated and officially sanctioned, even the stuff that is from the past...I really liked that video, dammit!...
    I am not trying to stir the pot here, please don't take this the wrong way...I am simply curious to know...."What's the big secret"?
    Oh yes, and please forgive the bitching and moaning...But that video rocked!
    The closest studio would probably be ours in Delaware. It's about 5 mins. from I 95. The web address is http://www.delawarekenpo.com/ My instructor, Ms. Kathy Owen, is the AKKI East Coast Regional Rep. Feel free to PM me if you need more info.
    As for the veil of secrecy. There is none really. If people want to learn what we do, then get to an AKKI school.
    That video did rock to.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Roadrunner For This Useful Post:

Black St1300 (07-24-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    The closest studio would probably be ours in Delaware. It's about 5 mins. from I 95. The web address is http://www.delawarekenpo.com/ My instructor, Ms. Kathy Owen, is the AKKI East Coast Regional Rep. Feel free to PM me if you need more info.
    As for the veil of secrecy. There is none really. If people want to learn what we do, then get to an AKKI school.
    That video did rock to.
    Thanks for the info, and for not getting angry or offended...
    I'll have to MapQuest your school's address to see how far it is from me....

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

hey this is chris gebhart, i study akki in shrewsbury. i read that you live in york, shrewsbury is about 15-20 minutes away from york. the number of the studio is (717)235-1200. the owner of the school is Tom Smith.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

[quote=gebhart;65711]hey this is chris gebhart, i study akki in shrewsbury. i read that you live in york, shrewsbury is about 15-20 minutes away from york. the number of the studio is (717)227-1200. the owner of the school is Tom Smith. and the business is called total martial and fitness

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

[quote=gebhart;65713]
    Quote Originally Posted by gebhart View Post
    hey this is chris gebhart, i study akki in shrewsbury. i read that you live in york, shrewsbury is about 15-20 minutes away from york. the number of the studio is (717)227-1200. the owner of the school is Tom Smith. and the business is called total martial and fitness
    Hey man, how are you?
    I'm pretty familiar with Shrewsbury, and I've seen your school's name in the phonebook, but I didn't realize that it was an AKKI school...
    I thought that you guys were affiliated with the other school that used to be in Shrewsbury...Sabora Chan's place, which is closed now, I believe...

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

No problem. Here is the simple response to the video. There is a way in which Mr. Mills wants himself to represented on video and that way is done by himself. He has very specific ideas, themes in mind of when he produces clips of himself demonstrating. There is no secrecy. Just a specific plan. And the plan does not include any clip out there of just anything.

There will be more but according to him. It's his image out there and he has complete say as to what he wants out there and he is very judicious about that. He's not in celebrity status like a Mel Gibson where everyone is watching and video phone recording his every step. Those guys have little to no control (or say due to their status)over what gets put out on the web. Mr. Mills does on the otherhand.

Just think if it was you, would you want to be in control of how your image is viewed and what was put out there? Wouldn't you want to have say over that? Strictly regulated and officially sanctioned? You bet.

No pot stirred here and glad you like the footage and are interested in finding out more about us. Hopefully this all makes sense.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alan J. For This Useful Post:

Black St1300 (07-25-2007),Brother John (07-25-2007),masherdong (07-25-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alan J. View Post
    No problem. Here is the simple response to the video. There is a way in which Mr. Mills wants himself to represented on video and that way is done by himself. He has very specific ideas, themes in mind of when he produces clips of himself demonstrating. There is no secrecy. Just a specific plan. And the plan does not include any clip out there of just anything.

There will be more but according to him. It's his image out there and he has complete say as to what he wants out there and he is very judicious about that. He's not in celebrity status like a Mel Gibson where everyone is watching and video phone recording his every step. Those guys have little to no control (or say due to their status)over what gets put out on the web. Mr. Mills does on the otherhand.

Just think if it was you, would you want to be in control of how your image is viewed and what was put out there? Wouldn't you want to have say over that? Strictly regulated and officially sanctioned? You bet.

No pot stirred here and glad you like the footage and are interested in finding out more about us. Hopefully this all makes sense.
    Thanks for the concise explanation Mr. Jacobs. I figured I'd let someone else put it out there.

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Yes Sir, makes perfect sense now...
    I am naturally curious about things that I don't understand(sometimes fatally curious, I'll admit), and the AKKI's material I don't understand, so....there you go...
    Thanks for the response, and, if I may ask you this:
    I see your name pop up fairly often when the AKKI is involved, and I was wondering what and where you are within the organization...
    Thanks again in advance for any response...

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I'm just a long time student of Mr. Mills. I live and teach in Utah. Glad it all made sense.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

I'm just a long time student of Mr. Mills. I live and teach in Utah. Glad it all made sense.
    Mr. Jacob is also modest.
    He's one of the most skilled and powerful martial artists I've ever met.
    But more than that, one of the MOST helpful and generous people...martial artist or not....that I've ever met too!

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Don't let Alan J.s modesty fool you. He brings new meaning to the phrase "blond bombshell", and he can red and rite purty good to fer a yankee. U are from NORTHERN Utah, right Mr. J?

Thanks

First of all, Mr. Jacob makes learning fun. He's like the Chris Farley of "tear your throat out, smash your face in concrete, and break any bone in the way" type of guy.
    But, then, again-he's not like that at all. He is serious. He can make you realize your potential no matter what your belt level.
    Not bad for a paste-faced-white-boy, lol!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

Thanks

I just realized what a mistake I've made. I think I'll have to skip his seminar to avoid being his "dummy", lol!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,147 Times in 468 Posts

Didn't see this mentioned but Mike Guercio might be close to you as well (I'm not really sure of where York is and haven't looked it up yet). His school is somewhat north of Baltimore in Maryland. His website is http://www.cckenpo.net/ and last I checked was training under Ms. Owen. Great Kenpo guy and more importantly a good person. His school won't disappoint and neither will Ms. Owen's. Best to you in your training....
    James Hawkins III, SI
    Hawkins Martial Arts
    Baltimore, MD 410-948-1440
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FunctionalKenpo
    http://www.youtube.com/user/kenpojujitsu3

18. The Following User Says Thank You to KenpoJuJitsu3 For This Useful Post:

Black St1300 (07-26-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael151 View Post
    I just realized what a mistake I've made. I think I'll have to skip his seminar to avoid being his "dummy", lol!

Yes Mike, I am your death. And to kiwi, fer a yankee, I do rite purdy ok. It's all them vowels thet throw me off. I gess from all them years "livin in a van down by the river." But I am the southerner when it comes to Utah.The evil dark lord Wheatoninan thinks he's master of the North.

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoJuJitsu3 View Post
    Didn't see this mentioned but Mike Guercio might be close to you as well (I'm not really sure of where York is and haven't looked it up yet). His school is somewhat north of Baltimore in Maryland. His website is http://www.cckenpo.net/ and last I checked was training under Ms. Owen. Great Kenpo guy and more importantly a good person. His school won't disappoint and neither will Ms. Owen's. Best to you in your training....
    Mike is a great guy and kenpoist. You are correct, he still trains under Ms. Owen.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brother John View Post
    Mr. Jacob is also modest.
    He's one of the most skilled and powerful martial artists I've ever met.
    But more than that, one of the MOST helpful and generous people...martial artist or not....that I've ever met too!

Your Brother
    John
    Couldn't agree more.

Thanks

Yes Mike, I am your death.
    That TKD school is looking good all of the sudden! LOL! September is right around the corner.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael151 View Post
    That TKD school is looking good all of the sudden! LOL! September is right around the corner.
    And it sounds like your in for a damn good thrashing!
    Poor guy...I'm glad that I WONT feel your pain!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links