Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Knife type: considerations

Thanks

Default Re: Knife type: considerations

1. In the first place, when folks start talking about customizing their special knife by reversing the belt clip and drilling holes so it'll be just like Mr. Mills'--which is what I thought I read--it's a little bit fetishistic, I'd say. That's not necessarily bad--guys in "Field and Stream," do this stuff all the time, writing artticles on, "The Customized Lee-Enfield .303: Ultimate Whitetail Gun?"--but it is a little, well, wonky. And yes, I have my own wonkiness.

2. "Dr. Dave," was quite right, I think, to say that martial artists need to be careful with their mind. In what self-defense situation is it, exactly, that we need to be concerned with the shock value of a stab as preferable to that of a cut? Why is it good to have folks announcing that they carry knives that "probably," aren't "legal," and that when they walk through a, "less than savory neighborhood," (Mr. Kulp's words) they keep a hand on that knife at all times? What's up with the whole concept of a, "fighting," knife, and the repeated notion on this thread of fighting with a knife--I mean, who really thinks they're going to be getting into a knife fight in real life? Yet much of this thread is occupied with rilly kewl knife stuff. I thought it was just a tool, about as romantic as a hammer. I thought there is nothing kewl about chopping on a human being. But again, there're strains of the same wonkiness in my own martial arts practice, so I'm not claiming to be any better.

3. I'd much rather see an attitude of grim necessity toward this stuff, but the, "Stormfront," thing was just the most symptomatic thing I'd seen in a thread I'd been reading for a couple days. So I posted. But, I also made my point at this point, so that's all I really think I'll say. Unless of course somebody launches the usual personal attacks, in which case I'll do the usual attempt to shaddup until I lose some of my temper.

Anyway, thanks for pretty much just saying what you thought.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave in da house

The clean knife defense is a myth. The clean knife attack is a myth...

by the time you've decided to cut someone, you will have gone to a place in your character not easily returned from....

As a kenpoist, train so you don't need weapons...

BE the scary monster that goes bump in the night, but live your life as if you aren't...

Be careful with your minds...

Dave

Thought provoking post Dr Dave, thankyou.

Personally, the thought of having to deal with some lunatic with a blade scares the bejeezus out of me, and i find it difficult to empathise with those MAs i've met who seem almost eager to get into a confrontation involving a knife, just to see if they could actually cut someone.

Also, i may have to borrow your 'scary monster' line at some point - exactly what i am trying to achieve with my training!

Respectfully,

Alex

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Yes, I am "a little wonky"... I like to tinker, In fact, I just bought the "50 dollar knife shop" (great buy at a yard sale) and made a forge in my garage to see if I could make my own hunting/fishing/utility knife from scratch, wierd, I know.

Changing the clip around on my knife= 15 minutes while watching "enduring love" Mostly for fun,to tinker, however, if I do have to draw my knife I want to draw it quickly.

I have witnessed several bad cuts. My brothers, mentioned early, was certainly not fatal, but bloody and scary. In a restroom, while washing my hands, a fight broke out, one guy slammed the other guy into a mirror, which broke, he then picked up a large piece of glass, slashed the other mans face and stabbed him in the stomach, cutting his own hand in the procces, I was about 3 feet away and stayed until police and medics arrived. It was awful.

I have been mugged at needle point, the mugger assured me the needle was HIV infected. That man has my wallet and my shoes.

I saw a man get shot and killed.

It would be wonderful to never get into another fight, to never witness another act of violence, but I am not banking on it, and so I train to win, hand to hand, knife, whatever. If I can, I will allways try to talk the situation down, or run, it doesn't hurt my pride. But if thats not an option, then I want to be prepared.

With regards to the site, I agree with everything you said. I despise racism in any form. To clarify, I was not quoting or citing that web page or those poeple. I read that article before, on a legitimate knife site, remebered the authors name, and searched it. Had I cut and pasted the article, no one would have ever known that at one point someone posted it on a disgusting racist site. However, I do understand your point, that such a site is not to be trusted, they may change content etc... you are right, next time I will continue to search. I am sorry for affending you, and your point is correct.

That said, I hope this thread can continue, in all its wonkiness, without that topic being brought up again.

Any other wierdos out there ever try to make you own knife?

Jason

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

1. Well that's your opinion, something your certainly entitled too, but it doesn't necessarily apply to everyone. Hopefully you know that.
    In what self-defense situation is it, exactly, that we need to be concerned with the shock value of a stab as preferable to that of a cut?
    2. Well I was actually thinking more along the lines of the legal battle. A single cut that does minor damage, compared to that of a stab which tends to mess up muscles- nerves- and organs, is probably alot easier to pass off as self defense than a series stabs. Sure it all depends on your lawyer and the situation, but in this day in age where the criminal or his/her family is just as likely to sue you for defending yourself it sure doesn't hurt to think about this stuff.
    I mean, who really thinks they're going to be getting into a knife fight in real life?
    Do you watch the news...... EVER.. not only is road rage an ever growing problem since our wonderful society continues to foster the wonderful notion of entitlement, but now you can't even go to the freaking movies without having to worry about groups of teenage kids starting fights with you in the parking lot for fun (a growing problem, at least around here). One high school kid was recently stomped to death in a parking lot by a group of thugs that just wanted to fight. The kid was just walking out to his car, and it wasn't even a real bad part of town (like that matters anymore).

About 6 weeks ago, I had a guy rear end me at a red light and when I got out of my car to assess the damage, he jumps out, runs up to me, and starts screaming about how he's going to kill me. The situation ended up working out fine once the guy found out I had a gun. The guy probably wasn't a bad guy altogether, he more than likely was a middle aged dude that had a bad week and snapped, but none of that mattered the second he threatened my life. I didn't have to draw down or anything that dramatic, but it was just a few statements or movements away from coming to that. Regardless though, the point is that this stuff happens all the time. There is nothing wrong with teaching or learning how to use a knife, club, or gun even assuming that it is done so responsibly and I don't see anyone here stating anything that could be considered irresponsible.

3. I'll leave this one alone since Jason L has already apologized multiple times. No personal attacks here

I think a topic of benefit would be for you to address the topic of knife material within the EPAK curriculum. What specific material are you working or teaching to address this particular topic? Or do you avoid this aspect of training, since it is too fetishistic (I think I just made up a word )

Thanks
    Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,427 Posts

My kenpo training involved knife training in it, as my instructor was a retired SAS dude who contracted to provide recon & infiltration training services to Force Recon guys on Pendelton some years back. Under his tutelage, I became a fan of single-edged tactical divers, and their tanto-inspired derivations. I keep one in my garage in a tackle box in case I go fishing.

Haven't tried making my own; too clumsy, and would surely hurt myself trying.

One reason I say to be careful with your minds is based on my own experiences, and those of my comrades. You look for what you train. If you train kenpo, and some guy gets in your face, you start looking for targets of opportunity & environmental factors that may affect choices. If you train in groundfighting, you go in your head to identifying strengths and weaknesses of the guy as a grappler (i.e., "dude has strong arms; shoot low under their reach or get behinfd them"). If you train in knives, your mind will automatically start looking for open carotids, etc. Once the person accross from you stops being a human, and starts being a series of targets for strategic exploitation, you lose the ability to maintain human compassion under the heat of combat. In other words, if you carry a knife, and think like a knife-fighter, you are apt to cut like one.

Step away from becoming murderers and maulers, and train like banshees to have awesome kenpo survival skills...including practicing the new kenpo form, "Sprint Set One". As a defender, you'll be tough to cut bounding away from the dude...and as the saying goes, "fear puts wings on the feet". Or, to quote Richard Pryor, "Feets, do yo' stuff".

Regards,

Dr. Dave
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (05-23-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Dr Dave.... Excellent post.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rmcr
    1. In the first place, when folks start talking about customizing their special knife by reversing the belt clip and drilling holes so it'll be just like Mr. Mills'--which is what I thought I read--it's a little bit fetishistic, I'd say. That's not necessarily bad--guys in "Field and Stream," do this stuff all the time, writing artticles on, "The Customized Lee-Enfield .303: Ultimate Whitetail Gun?"--but it is a little, well, wonky. And yes, I have my own wonkiness.

2. "Dr. Dave," was quite right, I think, to say that martial artists need to be careful with their mind. In what self-defense situation is it, exactly, that we need to be concerned with the shock value of a stab as preferable to that of a cut? Why is it good to have folks announcing that they carry knives that "probably," aren't "legal," and that when they walk through a, "less than savory neighborhood," (Mr. Kulp's words) they keep a hand on that knife at all times? What's up with the whole concept of a, "fighting," knife, and the repeated notion on this thread of fighting with a knife--I mean, who really thinks they're going to be getting into a knife fight in real life? Yet much of this thread is occupied with rilly kewl knife stuff. I thought it was just a tool, about as romantic as a hammer. I thought there is nothing kewl about chopping on a human being. But again, there're strains of the same wonkiness in my own martial arts practice, so I'm not claiming to be any better.

3. I'd much rather see an attitude of grim necessity toward this stuff, but the, "Stormfront," thing was just the most symptomatic thing I'd seen in a thread I'd been reading for a couple days. So I posted. But, I also made my point at this point, so that's all I really think I'll say. Unless of course somebody launches the usual personal attacks, in which case I'll do the usual attempt to shaddup until I lose some of my temper.

Anyway, thanks for pretty much just saying what you thought.

R.M as Iím sure you know violence doesnít just happen in bad neighborhoods or in dark alleys. It can happen anywhere anytime and anyplace. I have knife I carry around for protection. I'm not looking for a fight, and if I can get out of an altercation without fighting I will, but if my life is in danger, weather Iím being mugged, or someone else pulls a knife then it's either me or them. I will choose to take their life over mine if I have to. In my life so far I have been in violent situations, a few fights in grade school/high school in which I would never pull a knife. But I have been in other situations also, Iíve seen what a gun and a knife can do to somebody, if I felt I could get out of a violent situation without a weapon I would, but I would also kill to save my life and somebody else's. I'm not saying that it would be easy, Iíve never killed someone Iíve only seen someone die, and I would not want to be the one to have killed someone. I know it would be hard to kill someone even if it's saving my life and someone else's. But part of the reason why I train is so that if something like that occurs I wonít hesitate, because hesitation can be the difference between life and death. Violence will happen whether to you or someone else you know at sometime in your life. I'm not saying that people have to walk around being paranoid, but statistically everyone is at a high risk, no matter where you live.

http://www.rainn.org/statistics/

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/cvict.htm

http://www.ncvc.org/ncvc/main.aspx?dbName=DocumentViewer&DocumentID=32374

"If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice" Rush, Perminent waves

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

If you train in knives, your mind will automatically start looking for open carotids, etc. Once the person accross from you stops being a human, and starts being a series of targets for strategic exploitation, you lose the ability to maintain human compassion under the heat of combat. In other words, if you carry a knife, and think like a knife-fighter, you are apt to cut like one.

...including practicing the new kenpo form, "Sprint Set One". As a defender, you'll be tough to cut bounding away from the dude...and as the saying goes, "fear puts wings on the feet". Or, to quote Richard Pryor, "Feets, do yo' stuff".

Regards,

Dr. Dave
    Brother Dave,

Iím down with everything you said, but I think predators arenít pondering the same moral dilemmas. Of course, we donít expect them too. Hopefully, higher brain functions would kick in and you wouldnít become an out of control whirling mass of teeth and fingernails (and knives).

And I must admit with a knife (or sharp object) in hand I look at the points on the 3 of 9 vital template in Sayoc Kali. But my thought is if I have to pull out my folder initially it will serve as an impact weapon. If I then have to extend the blade the conflict has escalated to a level of really bad juju and there really isnít any level of humanity that Iím too concerned about. I just want to get home to the wife and kiddos, and Iíll never apologize for that. But you are a smart guy and you give some great comments to provoke thought.

Thanks,

jb

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ikenpo For This Useful Post:

thedan (05-23-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

One reason I say to be careful with your minds is based on my own experiences, and those of my comrades. You look for what you train. If you train kenpo, and some guy gets in your face, you start looking for targets of opportunity & environmental factors that may affect choices. If you train in groundfighting, you go in your head to identifying strengths and weaknesses of the guy as a grappler (i.e., "dude has strong arms; shoot low under their reach or get behinfd them"). If you train in knives, your mind will automatically start looking for open carotids, etc. Once the person accross from you stops being a human, and starts being a series of targets for strategic exploitation, you lose the ability to maintain human compassion under the heat of combat. In other words, if you carry a knife, and think like a knife-fighter, you are apt to cut like one.

Step away from becoming murderers and maulers, and train like banshees to have awesome kenpo survival skills..
    Hey Dave-
    I continue to really like the things you bring up. It's very important to consider the moral/ethical....humane...ramifications of what we are training to do! But by saying that we become "murderers" if we train with a knife; I think that's going a bit too far.
    Maulers?
    Yes. We DO train to be maulers... if you "mauler" you mean what the dictionary says of "Maul": "To beat, bruise or handle roughly"... THAT we do, and with a certain gusto.

Think of finger-set. What are we really learning to do there? Blind someone for life in many instances. What about the second hit in "Sword & Hammer"... that's a Yellow Belt technique...something you teach to someone you've not known all that long really.....yet you are choping the attacker in the throat because they grabbed your shoulder and May have tried to sucker punch you? How about "Back Breaker"...even the name doesn't carry much "human compassion"....then see what it does to another human's spine who just tried to punch at you. Or try "Dance of Death" on for compassion. You just dumped him down to land on the back of his head/neck, hit him in numerous assundry places as he's down, sprain or break his ankle after he's already down in order to roll him over for greater access and stomp even nastier targets on his person as he lays face down. Again, he was trying to punch at you.
    I wonder how many people who practice finger set have actually witnessed an eye being lost through blunt-trauma, or how many Kenpoists that practice Dance of Death have observed what happens to another human being who's sweapt off their feet and lands on the back of their neck on the cement or tile. ((Head and neck trauma is DAMAGING. It can often have life changing, or ending, ramifications) How many Kenpoists have watched another human create a quadrapalegic (SP????) as we've trained to do in "Back Breaker".
    But we do train for these things.

YOU know I could go on and on with the nastiness that is embedded w/in the curriculi that we train so hard in. It's in there, for sure. BY NO MEANS do I mean to take away from your very good point that non-violence or placing a premium on "GETTING AWAY" isn't of paramount importance. It certainly is! But look at what we've come to do anyway. Lots of it is outright nasty! What's more....talk about "making it more personal"...now we are demolishing some mother's son with our bare hands (no tools this time), in their face! Does that make me (or you/us) more of a monster?
    NO.

Why? Because I'd be loath to even strike someone at all...let alone need to do all these things! ((Odd that I desire to be so good at doing just that though)) I'd like to think that IF I ever "Need" to put my hands on another person....that many many important things have to have Failed First. I must have failed to avoid it. I must have failed to talk out of it. I must have failed to excape to safety. The list goes on and on. BUT: Once the damm breaks....then it's time for decisive action. The better/more skilled I am at it, the more options I have to be safe, to keep the amount of damage and destruction that I bring to bear appropriate and reasonable. If I take my skill and ability past what I need, then I can also reel it back in to match the needs of the moment/situation. IF I ever felt that to survive I needed to employ a tool, such as a knife, then Obviously we are in an absolute worst case scenario.... all the fail-safes broke down....etc. So...shouldn't I try to be the best I can be?

Human compassion through superior fire power!
    NOT: through innapropriate or inhumane fire power, just superior. Because if I'm "better than I need to be" then I can respond in confidence, not fear....fear makes the most mistakes. When things are taken TOO FAR... it's usually the result of fear and incompetence. By becoming "superior" in my abilities to employ an edged and/or pointed 'tool'....like a knife, then I'll have the skill and ability to employ it with command, not with erratic "slash N Chop", that's what typifies the untrained/unskilled.

Like I said, your points are good and your intention for sharing them here is laudible! We MUST impress on our students the use of self restraint, good ethic and solid character. Like I said, I won't work knife (Or empty hand for that matter) material with someone who gets off on the idea of "Getting" to use it on someone. If the nastiness we can dish out doesn't roll the stomach a time or two as you ponder it.... then I don't think you've (the rhetorical "you" not....YOU...Dave/reader) got any business doing it!

In the end I guess I'm saying that the argument against studying/training to use a knife could be applied with equal weight against study American Kenpo Karate at all.

Hope you see what I'm saying. I'm tired and I often ramble the most when I'm tired.

Your Brother
    John
    Last edited by Brother John; 10-19-2005 at 02:05 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Brother John For This Useful Post:

thedan (05-23-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,427 Posts

I love the rambles. They are when we see most clearly into the heart of a man.

Understand: I absolutely believe we need to train to be deadly. We MUST be the thing that goes bump in the night, and know we are, in order to move into events of personal defense with authority and confidence. I also believe that kenpo, as a system in general, does a poor job with preparing our students to avoid danger. Actions have consequences.

When I trained heavily in kenpo, I bounced a guy from a party: dislocated his shoulder, broke a couple ribs, his nose, and shamed him in front of his buddies and girlfriend. At the time, I was quite pleased with myself, and only worried about the legal ramifications. Now that I understand the effects traumatic memories have on physical health, I wish I could reach back through time and undo the physical and emotional traumas I caused that man; I'm sure his shoulder predicts the weather still, and each time it does, reminds him of the shame/frustration of that night. New research into epigenetics and the hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal axis indicates that, each time he revisits that memory, his body recieves a subtle neuro-chemical insult which further injures his health.

When I started training in BJJ, I bounced a guy from a club. Towards my defense, he did try beating and cutting multiple folks in the bar with a bottle. So I mounted him, and pummeled him in the face until he needed a mummy cast. Broken nose, jaw, eye orbits, cheekbone, teeth knocked free from their moorings, etc. He tried to sue the bar, but couldn't since he started it, drunk and armed with a beer bottle. Jeez, if someone broke up my face everytime I did something drunk and stupid while I was young, I wouldn't have a skull left.

One of the things I like about SL4 is the de-lethalization of kenpo without sacrificing defensive integrity. You have to scrape eyes from heads if that's all you know. If you replace those strikes with solid palms and hammers to nerve cavities of misaligned opponents, you have more choice in force escalation. You can hurt a guy without harming or injuring him.

I would like to see more kenpoists specializing in force escalation. What if...we modify techniques to have beats in them: 2-3 moves, rest, 2-3 moves, rest, etc. The first 2-3 are non-lethal blunt strikes to test his commitment to violence. If he stays for the rest, each returning set of strikes escalates in the degree of intended damage, until he quits or is defeated.

And I was semi-serious about Sprint Set One. Let's teach our guys to split when they can.

And, oh yeah...murderers vs. maulers...we are only a mis-step away from moving from maulers to murderers. A judo guy I bounced with shoulder threw a dude onto the concrete in an otherwise routine brawl. Cracked his skull and killed him, sending my friend away for a few years. How many of us practice the shoulder throw regularly, without an awareness that it could be a potential life-ender? Palm-heel take down drops a guys skull to the tarmac...could it crack? Happens to skateboarders & bicyclists all the time.

Not necessary. Shift your throat chops to C5 chops that rattle the cervical spine without breaking it; Finger Set moves can be modified to palm heels with wipes that jar his noodle and make him blink a lot while you punch him in the stomach or pop him in the groin. Train for choice. Be able to be deadly if you need to, but also remember choice.

Regards,

Dave
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

thedan (05-23-2007)

Thanks

Not having learned any SL-4, I couldn't say much about that. But I could say that this sort of thing is very much what I've been taught at a different school altogether--for example, the dope slap that develops out of Finger Set. Then too, I've been telling people for years that they should really work stances--it gets your sprint speed way up, so you can run get help.

But I also agree that much of kenpo--or any decent martial art--is a brutality. It's what bothers me about nerdism, whether we're discussing knives or discussing techniques--if you're not careful, it turns into the same damn thing as 14-year-olds discussing the exactly mechanisms of the matter/anti-matter flux capacitators on the "Enterprise-E," which means losing sight of a) the practical applications of technique, b) the effects on actual human beings.

As for knives, well, I certainly understand the kind of interest on this forum. As was pointed out, it's really not all that different from the kind of interest in the details of technique that many of us have. But there is one big difference--a knife is not primarily a defensive weapon. Its whole point is to cut the other guy, not to de-escalate the conflict or to control. Absolutely, if I'm chopping onions and some a'hole bursts in the back door and I can't get out the front door for whatever reason, well, I do like a sharp knife for cooking purposes and I believe in the figure eight.

But fussing over exactly which knife to carry, and how to customize it? Dangerous on several levels, it seems to me, not least in what it does to mindset. Note: as with guns, I know at least two people who carry knives whereever they go, and you are as safe as houses with either one of them. They do not customize, or advertise--they pick what they consider to be the right tool.

For my purposes, there's plenty in the plain old kenpo system. I am not a ninja, nor in any danger of being attacked by them.

I will also guarantee you that for the ninja and the SEAL, knife fighting means sneaking up quietly, putting your hand over somebody's mouth, and sticking them in the neck if necessary. I'll bet professionals haven't changed in THAT since Fairbairn and the ghurkas.

Oh well--I know this is a bit off topic, so, thanks and farewell.

Thanks

hmmm.... well. OK I still say that the SPORK is the deadliest weapon known to man!!! I keep mine near at hand at all times!!! It's deceptive too. Ever fear a man eating with one of these seemingly harmless dining utencils? Of course not! But that's just exactly the deavious tact of a Spork Master, such as myself!!! GO right ahead! Underestimate me in my innocent seeming slaw & pottatoes eating ways. You will KNOW what Pain is when I scratch at your tender bits with those little pointy psuedo-fork tips. I'll delight in the look of sheer horor you'll exhibit as I scrape without mercy at your exposed fleshy parts with the slightly curved, spoon-like sides. PRAY that I don't also have a packet of lemon juice handy! Thought I was just going to put it in my tea, didn't you??? HA!!! Dear GOD....the anguish you will have!!!!!!!! (mind you: scratched tender bits and scraped fleshy parts, when doused by Lemon Juice, can really smart!) Your Spork Weilding Brother John Master of The Spork (certified by KFC)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Brother John For This Useful Post:

thedan (05-23-2007)

Thanks

You know.... sometimes, when you've had a bad or just stressful day, ya gotta just have fun. Your Brother John Spork and all baby!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

hi all,

a question for everyone contributing to this thread, from a MA with limited knife experience -

given a situation where you are facing an attacker who has a blade (assume short knife or equivalent) would you rather have a knife yourself, or have the use of 2 empty hands?

i am thinking about the pros and cons of having a knife yourself, including the increased likelihood of you sticking it in him, vs having 2 hands free for parrying/control/manipulation/locks/disarms etc.

i hope this makes sense, i am interested in all points of view. for the record, i do not and will not carry a knife - but am interested in all opinions on the subject.

respectfully,

Alex

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spiderboy
    given a situation where you are facing an attacker who has a blade (assume short knife or equivalent) would you rather have a knife yourself, or have the use of 2 empty hands?

Alex
    I'd rather be somewhere else.

But if I HAD to chose, knife in my hand....for sure. If you deal with someome who's weilding a blade, you're going to get cut. (actually, I'd rather have a pistol...but that option wasn't given.) Though I wouldn't be without options if left emptyhanded, a knife increases the chance that you'd be able to end the conflict sooner.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ David Bly

Thanks

hi all,

a question for everyone contributing to this thread, from a MA with limited knife experience -

i am thinking about the pros and cons of having a knife yourself, including the increased likelihood of you sticking it in him, vs having 2 hands free for parrying/control/manipulation/locks/disarms etc.

i hope this makes sense, i am interested in all points of view. for the record, i do not and will not carry a knife - but am interested in all opinions on the subject.

respectfully,

Alex
    If I really think about it I would rather use my own two hands because I would be afraid of cutting myself in that situation LOL.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

Alex
    Gimme a knife baby.

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

when you're a jet your a jet all the way...

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    If I really think about it I would rather use my own two hands because I would be afraid of cutting myself in that situation LOL.
    I guess with that logic you wouldnt want a gun in a gun fight because your afraid of shooting yourself!!! What are you going to do if you are lucky enough to take the knife from your opponent? Cut yourself? This all highlights some of the reasons of being familiar with a weapon.

Please tell me you where just joking!! LOL!

Personally I would rather have a gun in a knife fight, but if a knife is all I have......I am going to use whatever I can to survive.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fastmover
    I guess with that logic you wouldnt want a gun in a gun fight because your afraid of shooting yourself!!! What are you going to do if you are lucky enough to take the knife from your opponent? Cut yourself? This all highlights some of the reasons of being familiar with a weapon.

Please tell me you where just joking!! LOL!

Personally I would rather have a gun in a knife fight, but if a knife is all I have......I am going to use whatever I can to survive.
    LOL. If I have a knife and they do not than thats a whole different story. I would rather disarm the person first before I would get in a knife fight. That is just what I think others might think differently. I just do not feel confortable with geeting into a knife fight because I do not practice enough with that since I spend most of my time dealing with school. I spend too much time learning about what to tell people what to eat than wipping out my K-bar or Kukari.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links