Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Handed Weapons

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Open Handed Weapons

Has anyone played with the weapon techniques open handed? Meaning have you taken the techniques from the Club certification or Knife certification and tried mapping them to empty hand motions?

I have been working on this for a whlie now and have found some interesting parrallels (sp?) I would like to get the ball rolling with comparing Eye of the Storm with Protecting Storm or one I've been looking at recently, Sheltering Storm and Rising Guillotine.

Just trying to throw out an interesting topic. Hope it gets your wheels turning
    :-)

Tim Kulp
    Westminster, MD

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Open Handed Weapons

I'm going to hurry and reply so I can state the easy answer.... Protecting Lance/ Protecting Storm/ Five Swords.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo Yahoo
    Protecting Lance/ Protecting Storm/ Five Swords.
    Darting Lance would be a good one to add in there too.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Have you ever done the universal drills with a knife?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cloak13
    Has anyone played with the weapon techniques open handed? Meaning have you taken the techniques from the Club certification or Knife certification and tried mapping them to empty hand motions?

Tim Kulp
    Westminster, MD
    That is what Mr. Parker did in his creation of Long Forms 7 & 8. Long Form 7 contains empty-hand techniques done at earlier belt levels but now done with two clubs. The same goes for Long Form 8 but here you are dealing with two knives.

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    That is what Mr. Parker did in his creation of Long Forms 7 & 8. Long Form 7 contains empty-hand techniques done at earlier belt levels but now done with two clubs. The same goes for Long Form 8 but here you are dealing with two knives.

Jamie Seabrook
    I know this is random but does anyone have Long form 7 and 8 written out and or the lists of techniques for 4th and 5th black?
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Open Handed Weapons

Quote Originally Posted by cloak13

I think this was in reference the AKKI knife and club specific curriculum, hopefully the thread will get back to that I am interested in reading more about it! (I think I know a total of 3 club and one knife tech from our curriculums hahaha)
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Now Bam Bam.... it's okay to let others play too. I'm curious if anyone knows of any links that display some of the parker knife techniques in motion.... Anyone.... Anyone... Bueller...

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

The nice thing about the universal weapons system is that it is universal. HAHA

You’ll get the stuff down quickly. That is if you’re working you empty hand material as well.

Have fun with it!

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Interesting that Long 7 and 8 came up in the conversation so since it has I do have a question. How long has one trained before this forum is taught in the EPAK system?? What is the normal rank of the individual learning the form at schhols that teach it?

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fastmover
    Interesting that Long 7 and 8 came up in the conversation so since it has I do have a question. How long has one trained before this forum is taught in the EPAK system?? What is the normal rank of the individual learning the form at schhols that teach it?

Thanks
    That is a great question, since Long form 6 is for 3rd balck I would think long 7 is for 4th. I have asked my instructor to teach me it and he has said no. So that is why I am asking if anyone has Long 7 and 8 written out.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fastmover

Thanks
    Long Form 7 is the required EPAK form for 4th Degree Black Belt, and Long Form 8 is required for promotion to 5th Degree Black Belt.

Hope that helps.

Jamie Seabrook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    That is a great question, since Long form 6 is for 3rd balck I would think long 7 is for 4th. I have asked my instructor to teach me it and he has said no. So that is why I am asking if anyone has Long 7 and 8 written out.
    Hi Dave,

Are you officially a 3rd Degree Black Belt yet?

Anyhow, here is a link to Long 7 written out:

http://kenpo-texas.com/long7

Jamie Seabrook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    Hi Dave,

Are you officially a 3rd Degree Black Belt yet?

Anyhow, here is a link to Long 7 written out:

http://kenpo-texas.com/long7

Jamie Seabrook
    Nope not for a couple of weeks. Thanks for the link.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Open Handed Weapons

I just tried that link, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work anymore. Here is a better one: http://kenpo-texas.com/long7.htm#Long%207
    The truly educated never graduate.
    "To understand the heart & mind of a person, look not at what they have already achieved, but what they aspire to do." -Kahlil Gibran

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

WOW!?!?! 4th and 5th black? Hopefully they won't need any true club or knife training before then.

I know as a police officer wearing a knife and a baton to work for my shift nightly I would hope my instructor would not wait that long to help me become proficiant in either! I might have to use either THAT NIGHT....not 10-15 years down the road when I might be a 4th or 5th.
    www.hunterskarate.com

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

wow! as a taxpayer, i would hope you'd be getting that in police officer training. as a martial artist, i have learned to appreciate the patience and discipline kenpo teaches us.

pete.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pete
    wow! as a taxpayer, i would hope you'd be getting that in police officer training. as a martial artist, i have learned to appreciate the patience and discipline kenpo teaches us.

pete.
    So if I understand this correctly you do not think an officer should seek out martial arts to enhance academy or continuing training? He should be getting it based only on "police training?" When and where do you think this police training is written, made up, or evaluated? Usually by police officers AND martial artist.

Martial artist play a big role in advisory and training development for many departments. A lot of martial arts schools also advertise the benefits of what they teach to the law enforcement community. To act as if I should rely only on my academy training and not try to hone or sharpen my abilities as an officer outside of those methods or ways is crazy.

If in me wanting to be safe and seeking out additional training on my own offends you as a taxpayer I apoligize. I am sure my family won't apoligize for me coming home safe at night.
    www.hunterskarate.com

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    So if I understand this correctly you do not think an officer should seek out martial arts to enhance academy or continuing training? He should be getting it based only on "police training?" When and where do you think this police training is written, made up, or evaluated? Usually by police officers AND martial artist.
    Hi Hunter,

I think you have seriously misunderstood pete's post, i believe he was referring to the use of the "knife" and "baton" you refer to having to wear on duty.

Am i wrong in thinking that if you are required to wear these weapons as part of your uniform that you receive adequate training in the use of these weapons from your police department? Isn't the correct usage of the firearm you carry also part of your police training?

No one is saying that you should not study a martial art to enhance your ability to do your job and stay safe, i'm sure your familiy would agree.

Peace,

Donna

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pete

pete.
    Have you ever been a police officer Pete? Or worked in a position where the probability of physical violence was just another part of the landscape?

I'm not a police officer, but Many of my friends and MA classmates (like Brian) have been. I'm a correctional officer though, so I'm also in a line of work where we must be prepared for Certain violence... like Brian is. The training at the academies is woefully insuficient to FULLY prepare an officer, I think. The way I see it, it's more of an "Introduction" than anything. It's little more than a good start. Comparing it to the training I get (actually, that I Give...I'm one of the people who trains other correctional officers) the training you get is meant to be a start, not the end-all be all of your preparation. Brian is Exactly right, if you want to tip the scales in your favor you MUST seek out ongoing training in order to be prepared. Many officers do so, many martial arts schools promote themselves based on this premise as well. I think that they are justified in doing so!

So....then it stands to reason that if you are teaching someone to do something.. then it's something that you obviously believe they are likely to NEED, like Brian NEEDS to be as good as he can be with every tool given him.

It is NOT a matter of "learning patience", but of being prepared with the resources you are given and striving to be the best you can be with it.
    Wouldn't you agree that 4th and 5th degree black belts are pretty rare? Not that an officer can't or won't achieve that level!! But, they shouldn't have to wait THAT long in order to begin being prepared. If they saught out martial arts training to keep sharp and learn new skill sets to help them have the greatest odds of survival with life and limb.....
    why wait years to give it to them?????
    It's worth thinking about.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links