Thread: Buckles, Sweeps, and Kicks

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Arrow Buckles, Sweeps, and Kicks

What techniques do you like to insert sweeps, buckles, or kicks into that are not already there? (Preferably AKKI techniques, but feel free to use EPAK techs as well).

I would love to talk about takedowns and throws, but for this particular thread let's try to confine the discussion to kicks, sweeps, and buckles.

Anyone?

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Buckles, Sweeps, and Kicks

Triggered Devastation is a great technique to insert kicks into. I remember doing this in a seminar out in Vegas a while ago. I also tend to throw a scoop kick on the end of Thundering Hammers when talking about equation formula with my students. Any technique can benefit from breaking down an attacker's base. When it comes to low kicks, sweeps, and buckles that is the focus of what you are doing.

Tim Kulp
    Westminster, MD

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I know that Mr. Mills entertained the idea of having a buckle taught in Yellow belt for Deflecting Pendulum. It works quite nicely but was not put in as a standard rather as something the instructors can put in later. I like to get my students to figure out knee kicks, TSK, etc. to bump up their timing and explosiveness with the lower body to tie in their upper and lower case timing. Just start figuring out where they can fit without taking away from the technique or principles. I t should be a natural flow.
    Alan

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Arrow Re: Buckles, Sweeps, and Kicks

The reason for my question is that at this last camp Mr. Mills briefly mentioned the importance of being able to insert sweeps, kicks, and buckles to our techniques in order to distract and control our opponents. So after careful thought, I realized that I don't have a clue how to do this.... Okay maybe I'm not completely clueless. I tend to insert a lead leg sweep to the inside of my opponents lead leg on techniques like Triggered and Five swords. Also, I've been playing with adding in knee shots to the inner thigh, but I'm still not real comfortable with the flow or timing just yet.

I'd like to be able to setup a takedown at the end of every single technique, whether it be a sweep, buckle, throw, or all of the above. But for right now I'm just trying to get my timing and sequencing down so that the kicks have a positive effect on my kenpo rather than detract from the execution of my motion. It also doesn't help that I'm naturally left hand and left foot dominate (my right leg kicks are kinda retarded).

As far as the buckle at the end of Deflecting Pendulum, are you referring to the takedown after the final elbow?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

it's not too hard to tag on a basic foot sweep (right foot) at the end of
    Attacking Maces as you are crossing out. I especially like that because if you applied the knee buckle well just prior to that....they can't really recover, adding to the effectiveness of the foot sweep. This particular application of the sweep doesn't usually "put them down", but sure does keep their stability disrupted and keep them from reaquiring a good base while you are getting out.

Your Brother (on the mend)
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Works been a little slow today so I've been sitting around trying to think of ways to incorporate B,S, & K's into my techs..... I've got a couple of ideas but I'm going to have to play around with them a little bit and before I open my big mouth..... I'll let you know what I find out..... Anyone else?

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Buckles, Sweeps, and Kicks

Do knees count? Our school likes to insert a knee into locking horns, almost like flashing cranes on a different plane if you are thinking about the sequence and timing.A technique like locking horns might mess up that perfectly manicured hair you have though Yahoo
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    Do knees count? Our school likes to insert a knee into locking horns, almost like flashing cranes on a different plane if you are thinking about the sequence and timing.
    I'm glad you agree with me on the knee Bam! It's an.......uplifting experience huh?
    HA!!

Your Bro.
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Do knees count? Our school likes to insert a knee into locking horns, almost like flashing cranes on a different plane if you are thinking about the sequence and timing.A technique like locking horns might mess up that perfectly manicured hair you have though Yahoo
    Your dead

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Seriously though..... When are you heading this way?

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Buckles, Sweeps, and Kicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo Yahoo
    Seriously though..... When are you heading this way?
    I got called about my new assignment today and I should know for sure what my office hours will be with in the next week. I am looking towards the end of October if you can round up Flip and Sheri. If John can get off of work I will drag him kicking and screaming as well.
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

Thanks

Drag?
    Screaming???

Kicking I can do! But those others??? nah..

Love to go to Tx and work out with yall!!!!!!!!
    But getting off work WILL be the trick. I just took a month long leave from work, ZERO vacation left. BUT: Maybe something can be worked out none the less.

Your Brother (who only screams on roller coasters)
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ David Bly

Thanks

BUCKLES:
    How about Whip & Hammer? There's one already built in, true. But My first instructor, Mr. Taylor, taught me a version of Sword and Hammer that utilizes four strikes ((which he'd learned from his instructor, Mr. Mills, whom I later found out had learned it from His instructor, Mr. Parker))... in this technique I like to do what I call a 'progressive buckle'. (((schnazy way of saying that there's two successive buckles, one hits and they must move...so when they move I follow and hit'm with another. This tends to destabilize very well and KEEP them back peddling, never able to really settle and create a base))
    Basically the first buckle hits their knee when you deliver the 2nd hit (Hammer to the solar-plexus)...the combination of this hit and the buckle tends to get them to kind of stutter-step away from you to compensate.... so I step-shuffle toward them and hit them with Another buckle as I follow with two more hits in rapid succession. ((mind-you, this IS Kenpo, it's all in "rapid succession"...these buckles are the lower-case compliment to what's going on up top)) This second buckle tends to open up their centerline...aligning the final strike (hammer to the groin).
    This "Progressive buckle" thingie is pretty much something that I created by accident. One day while applying this four-hit "Sword & Hammer" on Mr. Taylor he said: "HEY....cool!! Look what you're doing with THAT!", and there it was. I really like buckles.
    THING IS: So does Brian!!! For those of you that didn't get the chance to meet Brian at Vegas, he's built like a frigg'n Sherman Tank. When someone uses the word "Stout"...I think of my Brother Bam-Bam. So...being just under average height...he uses that to his advantage and really buckles, and buckles......................and BUCKLES in everything he does. Made me laugh when you asked where we like to insert buckles. I fully expected Brian to get on here and say "Only when I'm standing up". So I taught Brian the 4-hit Sword & Hammer, and he took to it immediately. We were back-peddling each other back and forth across the floor over and over for a WHILE!!
    NOTE: If you are in a line with Brian or just working with him and you have BAD knees...................let him KNOW.

Anyway: Something else with Whip & Hammer / Sword & Hammer (whether 2 OR 4 hits) is a sweep. Think of the last hit, the hammer, it circles down and out (low) right? I like to continue that circle (counter clockwise) up and around the attackers shoulder, trapping it under yours as you execute a reaping sweep to their left ankle with your right foot....continuing to apply pressure on their shoulder forward & down (keeping that same circle, but tightening the arc.....as we are wont to do) to accelerate their face toward the floor. CAUTION: this must be set up well. You need to be mindful that though you are wrapping their shoulder, if you've not destabalized their base (ya know, those buckles) and shocked their neck/eyes, torso, groin with those hits first, then that shoulder wrap isn't so much of a control and you may end up with a leverage competition. YOU MUST first steal their balance, then unite with their center (coming close and wrapping their shoulder) ...and if they ARE destabalized, THEN make that circle. Also: releasing the shoulder at the apex of the downward arc is also important, unless you are up on your groundfighting and WANT to create a 'sacrifice throw'...in which case....great. If you do, a decent face down arm-bar/trap can be done!

If nothing else, maybe this will spark some ideas for ya!!!

Your Brother (((who just LOVES to think about such things)))
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ David Bly

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links