Thread: So what did you learn?

Les
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default So what did you learn?

Thinking about all the seminars you took, what would you say was the most one thing that most helped you in your progression?

Les
    I'm only here to learn

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

Default Re: So what did you learn?

BY far the Remy Presas seminars were the best we have ever attended. He could teach you so much in so little time and make you enjoy it with his ever smiling face. We miss him very much!!

I am Most Respectfully,
    Sifuroy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sifuroy For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (04-02-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sifuroy View Post
    BY far the Remy Presas seminars were the best we have ever attended. He could teach you so much in so little time and make you enjoy it with his ever smiling face. We miss him very much!!

I am Most Respectfully,
    Sifuroy
    I believe Les is referring to the AKKI Vegas camp.
    Anyway, too much to list. I was going into information overload. haha I really like the breath control that Mr. Mills was talking about.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Thinking about all the seminars you took, what would you say was the most one thing that most helped you in your progression?

Well, I’d been in MA for about 26 years, trained in Korea, Japan, took some neat Kenpo from some good trainers…

…then Jim Mitchell invited me to an Ed Parker seminar in Bend OR about 1976.

It’s like the top of my head blew off and all those neat possibilities, concepts, strategies and tactics downloaded into my brain and soul.

I call that my “REAL enlightenment into the martial arts”.

I actually consider that epiphany to be the changing point of my martial arts career.

The same thing happened but in a business sense when I met Al Tracy at my home back in 1974. The business possibilities were endless and very do-able.

©Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Thanks

Hitting people and not getting arrested for it was cool, lol! This was the third camp I've been to and the most fun yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Hi Just to re-iterate Les's comments What did you learn from the Vegas camp?

Not what you did, who you did it with but what information was given that assisted you in your progression in the art.

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenposikh View Post

Not what you did, who you did it with but what information was given that assisted you in your progression in the art.
    Mine wasn't so much a single piece of information, but a connection. I am constantly amazed at the way things tie together. For example, knife drills and techniques utilizing the Yellow Belt techniques, the integrated nature of the "Universal Weapons System", and the new Brown Belt techniques making use of the freestyle techniques, just to name a few. I know that Mr. Parker also had many integrations within the system he put together, but to see them unravelling before my (our) eyes is mind-boggling at times (did you ever ask yourself..."wait a minute, we learned X 2 years ago, and now Y is tied directly to that...he PLANNED it this way!). It definately takes a vision of where you're going to put things together that way.

I'm always fascinated by finding patterns in things, and Mr. Mills certainly has a defined pattern to his art...or dare we say, method to his madness? ;-)

Sean

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scarey For This Useful Post:

Brother John (04-03-2007),Mikael151 (04-03-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenposikh View Post

Were you there? If you want specific info the next camp is in Sept.
    There were some knife, club, and open hand tech's. Some classes had to deal with underbelts, so advanced info was limited in some cases. I really had fun learning how to graft Freestyle techs to close the gap and move to Self Defense techs. Adding a "buckle" to finish a tech, using frictional pulls and launching from them your counter, and structural integrity.
    Most of all, it was ATTITUDE. "Move Your Mass!!!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

Les
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Most peple will have worked out by now that I asked a question that is almost impossible to answer.

Tracy mentioned "information overload" and many people will have experienced that.

Sean mentioned how the seminars were 'tied together', and I have to agree with him. No two were the same, but there was a definite link between them, making it easier to apply the stuff you learned in one to what you were learning in another.

For quite some time now I have been finding more and more 'common ground' in the various aspects of the Kenpo system.

One of the hardest things for me was choosing which seminars to take. I really wanted to take Mr Fusciardi's AKKI “Street Freestyle” one, but it was next to Mr Tompsons “Basic Kicks - The Heavy Artillery of Kenpo” and as I'm a cr*p kicker I thought I'd better pick that one. (Have my kicks improved? I don't know, but I'm certainly teaching them better)

Really, the thing I learned was a re-inforcement of the thing that I learned at the previous camp....... That I have a lot to learn.

Les
    I'm only here to learn

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links