Thread: 5 beat to the head

Thanks

Default 5 beat to the head

anyone ever got some head gear on and had the 5 beat done on their head, ala Flashing Cranes? good Lord... even controled and without the person settling in their stances, while wearing head gear.. it is more than enough to disorient you.

we as kenpoists im sure take those shots to the chest and shoulders for granted instead of to the head as the cirriculum says.... but can you imagine full force, settling in the stances, on someone's unprotected face, jaw, ears, whatever?!?! makes you take a step back and respect what you could do to a person a little more..

2. The Following User Says Thank You to madeku For This Useful Post:

Brother John (05-11-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: 5 beat to the head

I got a concussion in TKD once...with head gear on. I'm always thinking about what could happen and what I'm capable of. Scary sometimes.

Les
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

We've done that. Trouble is getting people to put the headgear on once they've seen it on someone else.

Are you using anything to support the neck? The risk of a whiplash injury is very real, even if you're not hitting full steam.

Les
    I'm only here to learn

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    Are you using anything to support the neck? The risk of a whiplash injury is very real, even if you're not hitting full steam.
    There is a very real risk of brain dammage as well. The headgear protects the exterior of the head, but it doesn't stop the head from jerking violently. The brain moves forcefully inside the cranium, rebounding from one side to the next, and can be bruised, contused, abraided, torn, and generally scrambled. We should temper the need to train under force with the need to keep your senses intact. I'm surprised some of the doc's havn't commented here.

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

Thanks

it was just one time, very controlled, from my instructor (anybody else id be like hell no! lol), still very disotienting for a couple seconds.. something i wouldnt want to do again for a while tho haha.

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Heck, about 10 years ago in Vegas, Ron Boswell taught a seminar where we worked 5 count to the head (jaws really) at low power, but no pads. Mouthpieces were required. The focus was noticing the distraction of the senses (i.e. wobbling of the eyes, motion of the head).

Needless to say, I had a headache after that one. If I think hard enough, I can probably remember the name of the seminar even ;-) It was when we were still having vegas camps at Mr. Herman's school and at the local health/athletic club.

Sean

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scarey View Post
    Heck, about 10 years ago in Vegas, Ron Boswell taught a seminar where we worked 5 count to the head (jaws really) at low power, but no pads. Mouthpieces were required. The focus was noticing the distraction of the senses (i.e. wobbling of the eyes, motion of the head).

Needless to say, I had a headache after that one. If I think hard enough, I can probably remember the name of the seminar even ;-) It was when we were still having vegas camps at Mr. Herman's school and at the local health/athletic club.

Sean
    HA! I just remembered the name of the seminar..."Maximizing the Disruption of Perceptual Senses". Gotta love a seminar with a name like that that you can remember 10 years later...it came to me in vegas this last weekend when I took a near knockout shot to the neck...must have jarred the memory loose ;-)

Sean

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madeku View Post
    anyone ever got some head gear on and had the 5 beat done on their head, ala Flashing Cranes? good Lord... even controled and without the person settling in their stances, while wearing head gear.. it is more than enough to disorient you.

we as kenpoists im sure take those shots to the chest and shoulders for granted instead of to the head as the cirriculum says.... but can you imagine full force, settling in the stances, on someone's unprotected face, jaw, ears, whatever?!?! makes you take a step back and respect what you could do to a person a little more..
    madeku,

I just threw a couple of pictures together from a seminar in 2000 where Mr. Mills was teaching Intercepting Devastation on one of my instructors. He's got headgear on, and you can see him sailing out of the picture on the last couple.

In the interest of full disclosure, these pictures were not all necessarily from the exact same sequence... but they were all working Intercepting Devastation. I think at least one of them was from a slightly different angle, nevertheless, when you mentioned headgear...I remembered this seminar.

Here's the link:
    http://www.coloradokenpo.com/OLD2/fi...evastation.htm

Sean

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madeku View Post

Be careful there bro.
    It could jar your neck pretty badly, even WITH the headgear.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links